Ephesus Guide Subs

I have tried reserving Kagan Kosagan for our cruise next year but he is booked already. He has suggested other quides that work with him. Has

anyone used any of Kagan substitutes??? If, yes, what are their names??

Kathy

Dear Kathy,

Not knowing your date and cruise ship, but more than a month ago I got the useful jump on my next May 28 cruise on Ruby Princess by reserving guides at 7 ports. Mr. Kosagan was available for Istanbul on 4 June, but not Kusadasi on 5 June. (Perhaps he lives near Istanbul and doesn't need the hassle of an overnight or very early morning commute?) One of his suggested alternatives has had a lot of discussion on CC as sending substitutes (maybe because of overbooking and taking the best offer that comes along, I don't know?). I also pursued another likely possibility with a fine web site who finally admitted that he worked closely with the cruise industry. Could be that you will be paid more leading a group of 40-50 on a bus than a van with only 6-? passengers? In our case, another large Princess ship is also at Kusadasi and will arrive 4-5 hours before the Ruby, that will only be there for the afternoon, so this guide probably can get paid for two large half-day tours for 80-100 passengers.

Its hard to believe that this (along with Monte Carlo, but for other reasons) was one of my most difficult ports to estabish a reservation. I finally tracked down another guide who has had praise from CC and who also lives in Kusadasi: Hulya Terzioglu (hulya462002@yahoo.com). She was quite responsive to my email questions and is also willing to guide us to a leather wholesaler after the tour, you might want to send her an email?

As for EKOL, I was involved in planning the same itinerary for last May that we had to abandon because of family illness. Luckily, I have received considerable feedback. We used EKOL for both Istanbul and Kusadasi for 17 couples. EKOL would not reserve specific guides, so it doesn't make any difference what kind of praise you read for a specific guide from them. They are a large organization and your tour will be as good as the guide you have the luck to draw. In our situation, the guides for Ephesus (half day) were fine, while both groups (2 separate guides) for a whole day in Istanbul each had specific problems including a basically forced visit for a carpet demonstration. Apparently EKOL guides may not be happy with their fees and look for additional commissions from rug sales (and maybe kick-backs for lunches at over-priced restaurants as well).

Remember that as of August 1, 2008 all of the basic state admission charges have doubled, so if you are attracted to the prices at a specific web site, make certain that they are current for late 2008/and 2009.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions,

David

traveltoports@yahoo.com

Apparently EKOL guides may not be happy with their fees and look for additional commissions from rug sales (and maybe kick-backs for lunches at over-priced restaurants as well).

I would agree with this. Our guide seemed crestfallen when I told him, 'no rug factory'. Then I said 'fine, I'll go, but I am not going to buy a rug' (I didn't). It was interesting enough and the merchant was gracious when we left so no harm done.

Later he did suggest a rather expensive restaurant, imo. We declined and ate back on the ship. (We were traveling with 3 children so that factored in) Overall, a good tour at a decent price but I would look at all alternatives and be aware of driver substituting.

We used EKOL when we were in Kusadasi in July. We had an excellent guide that will take private bookings . We specified that we were not interested in a "carpet tour" as we had been to Kusadasi several times and were not interested in doing that again. During our day trip we went to Sirince which is where we had lunch at a very inexpensive excellent restaurant. Our guide was Yelda Celik email celikyelda@yahoo.com. Again, she will arrange a driver and is an excellent guide. She does not go to Istanbul.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Sammystravel and had a great experience. There were 14 of us in 2 different vans and we all had a good experience. Our guide was Levant, very knowledgeable and passionate about the history of the area. Go into the terrace houses for a unique experience. Extra fee but worth it. We said no to rug demo and it was no problem.

We returned yesterday from Splendour of the Seas and we also had Yelda as our guide for Ephesus. She was brilliant - she speaks excellent English and is very knowledgeable and interesting. Make sure you go in the Terrace Houses - they were the highlight of the visit!

We have just returned from a private tour with Ekol from Kusadasi. Our guide was great and we were under no pressure to do anything we did not want to do.

The guide did not suggest any restaurants and we said no to a rug demo also and it was not a problem.

We used Ekol in September, and I specified exactly what I wanted our 6-hour tour to be (which places, heavy archaeology/history, no shopping), and everything was exactly as promised in our email exchanges, including an unrushed visit at Ephesus. BTW, be sure to visit the Terrace Houses, which restrict large tour groups.

In fact, we went to a lunch place I had read about on tripadvisor, a place the guide never heard of, right across from the historic mosque in Selcuk, after our visit to the excellent Archeological Museum in Selcuk, and we four (husband, guide, driver, and I) ate copiously and deliciously for less than $20 total. I am a satisifed Ekol customer.

We used Ekol in September, and I specified exactly what I wanted our 6-hour tour to be (which places, heavy archaeology/history, no shopping), and everything was exactly as promised in our email exchanges, including an unrushed visit at Ephesus. BTW, be sure to visit the Terrace Houses, which restrict large tour groups.

In fact, we went to a lunch place I had read about on tripadvisor, a place the guide never heard of, right across from the historic mosque in Selcuk, after our visit to the excellent Archeological Museum in Selcuk, and we four (husband, guide, driver, and I) ate copiously and deliciously for less than $20 total. I am a satisifed Ekol customer.

Questions about EKOL Travel

1 Does their drivers speak some English?

2 What type of vehicle and how new?

3.Were there other people on the tour other that your own party?

Thank you,

Steve

Thank you,

Steve

I am sure CintiPam will answer you also, but for comparisons purposes:

There was a driver (little English) and a separate English speaking guide, who spoke good English and accompanied us around Ephesus.

Nice 8 seater minivan for just the 2 of us (plus driver and guide), not sure how new but in excellent condition with a/c

No, we booked a private tour for 2 and that is exactly what we got. I know of others who were on our cruise who also booked similar private tours with EKOL and they got that too.

Hope that helps.:)

Micruiser2002 - sorry for not answering your questions - here goes!!

We booked through Ekol and just happened to get Yelda but she told us she is now freelance so I would contact her through the link in the other post.

She was waiting for us at 8am just near the ship and we were taken to the Mercedes van (8 seater, very new) and driver. We went to Virgin Mary's House first, up in the hills. We visited this then bought water and went to the restrooms before going down to Ephesus. We were a party of 4 - my husband and I are early 50's and fit and his parents are in their 80's and slow! Yelda was very patient with us and found places for the oldies to sit whilst we took photos and wandered more, and whilst we went in the Terrace Houses - do not miss them!!

We spent 2.5 hours in Ephesus then went for lunch with Yelda. Stopped at Temple of Artemis just to look but not much of it left!

Went to a ceramics factory and a carpet factory which we didn't really want to - I would be firm and say no!

We paid $240 plus $20 for the Terrace Houses and we gave Yelda $50 tip and the driver $20.

We would definitely recommend her - she's brilliant!

Any other questions - please ask!

Margaret

Select a guide, not a tour company (IMHO)

Up until my last trip I would have agreed with this. However, we paid considerably more than we would have done with Ekol etc, for a named guide, only to find we were sidetracked to a substitute (who was an hour late) when a more lucrative booking came along. In future I think I am more likely to go with an agency and make my wishes clear than take a chance on the named guide fulfilling their obligations.

Thank you,

Steve

1. The driver spoke little English but our guide Ali spoke excellent English.

2. It was very new minivan, with excellent A/C. After our first stop, Ali switched the the second row of seats to face backward, so he could sit on one and talk to us directly without turning his head constantly from the front passenger seat.

3. We hoped to get others to join us on the tour, but our Oceania rollcall (Nautica is a small ship carrrying only 684) on these boards was dead (only posted by people taking later cruises and needing guide info). We got no one to share, althought we tried on the board, so it was a private tour. But still cheaper than our ship's tour. (Turkish tour guides are much less pricey than Greek.)

I would certainly want customers like Margaret! People should remember that 99% of CC posters only report their positive experiences. So, either these experiences are selectively the positive ones, or through the process of "cognitive dissonance" the experience is reported as positive when, in fact, it had other elements in it (note Margaret's report).

I have previously reported on two guide's in Istanbul from EKOL -- the problems will not go away with 100 posts of specific positive experiences associated with EKOL. I just pointed out that if EKOL will not guarantee the guide you want, you may not get that guide and, indeed, your preparation and the degree to which you are assertive will effect your experience.

I am VERY impressed by how a small number of people keep making the same posting on a daily basis. I am also VERY impressed that I've not read more than a couple of negative experiences. Doesn't mean that they have not occured, just that those who experience them may be embarrassed to report them.

On the other hand, just because tourist sites are within walking distance of each other and you have a tourist guide doesn't mean that a tour guide will not contribute to the quality of your tour experience. Obviously, some tour content will not be available in any ship tour, private tours will provide more options and more flexibility, and if you look at your overall costs, you are talking about 10-20% of your cost here. In basic planning for 7 tours, our transportation/guide costs run from a high of $103 to a low of $35, setting the euro at $1.50.

Enjoy your planning, everyone is different. BUT, if you have any problems on your cruise at all, come back and share them!

David

My wife and I (ages 32 & 27) just returned from the NCL Jade with a stop in Izmir (10/8 I believe). We booked through Ekol travel and had a wonderful time. Our guide was Emre Ates. He was fantastic.

We did a private 2 person tour. We were met at the port and picked up in an 8 person van, with just the driver (who did not speak a lot of english, if any) and our guide.

I had worked out the itinerary ahead of time and it did include a stop at a carpet factory as I was interested in the process. Everything was followed exactly as requested and Emre even recommended that we stop at the museum that was not in our itinerary because we had some extra time as long as we paid for the admission (4 YTL each). I also found the carpet experience to be very interesting and the sales person was not pressuring at all. The entire trip took 7.5 hours and ran a little more then $100 per person, not including lunch. But we stopped for a traditional turkish lunch that was fixed priced at $10 a person and it was very good.

I can not recommend Ekol and Emre enough. Emre had made a cross country road trip through the states last year to get a better understanding and become more familiar with American culture. My wife and I both felt the trip paid off and Emre was a great tour guide. He made the time when we were not at a site and driving entertaining and interesting, both discussing Turkish and US current affairs.

I'm sure there are negative experiences that people have with every tour group and I can not compare Ekol to anyone else or recommend them vs. another group. I can just pass along that I had a wonderful trip and loved Turkey. It was the best guided tour of our itinerary.

I do have Emre's private e-mail address if anyone is interested; I believe he also does freelancing on the side like most of the tour guides. Just drop me a note at ncollins516@yahoo.com.

We had a great guide for Ephesus when we were there a couple of years ago. He sent us an e-mail at New Years this year, so I presume he is still active. He spoke wonderful English and tailored the trip just to us -- we were traveling with our daughter and her family -- 4 young children. He was patient and easy-going and just what we needed. I recommend him highly; if you are still looking, you might give him a try.

Mesut YILMAZ

Proffessional Tour Guide- All Turkey (National Category)

English Russian Bulgarian

http://www.mesutyilmaz.org

http://www.ephesusprivate.com

Archived