Camp Carnival for a 2 year old experiences

Ashelleigh

We are trying to decide between the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas and the Carnival Legend for a May 2009 cruise. My DS will turn 2 about 1 week before the cruise, and I think that makes him elligible for the 2-5 age group for Camp Carnival. Have any of you used Camp Carnival for a newly turned 2 year old and what was your experience with it? Is it something you'd try again?

Thanks!

Is there ANY way you can sail during the week he turns 2? Just for your own sanity. They CAN deny him entry into Camp Carnival because he is not officially 2.

I don't have time to go into great detail - but for the ships/cruise line itself, I love RCCL Freedom. They have the Baby Zone and in cabin sitting for him. So if he is not potty trained, he can still swim in the Baby Zone.

BUT, I think as far as the program, there is no better program for a YOUNG child (NO, NOT even Disney) than Camp Carnival. They are exceptional with YOUNG kids.

My 4 year old has been on 2 Carnival ships, 2 Disney ships and RCCL Freedom...her favorite is STILL camp carnival. I can tell by how happy she was to be there. She was active, excited to be there. They never paged me. She was always smiling. I had to pick her up crying from both RCCL AO and from Disney's club because "she missed me"

I don't have a clingy child, at all. She is VERY independent. So she is always the first kid to run into school and not look back. On Carnival, we had no problem. On RCCL and Disney, she had me paged early.

Thanks! that's the kind of info I was looking for. He will actually turn 2 on May 3 and we are leaving sometime between May 4 - mid May, so we're covered with that. My previous post may have been misleading. I appreciate the response.

if other's have any experience with this..I welcome all ideas!

:)

It's been hit or miss with us. Both my DD and DS have been going to Camp Carnival since they were 2, and DD went right in, no problems, while DS was hesitant. The funny thing is, he was a day care baby, while she was not. Go figure!

The best advice I can share, is don't count on your child spending time at Camp Carnival. That way, if they don't assimilate to it well, and don't want to go, then you aren't "let down" by having to make other arrangements for "fun time" on the cruise. We were lucky, as my parents usually cruised with us, so were happy to take DS when he didn't want to go into the Club.

CeleBrat

I took my twins the week after they turned two and they had no experience with day care (we had a nanny). They both cried to start with, and the staff was fantastic about it - very patient and consoling. One of the twins would finally stop crying and really enjoyed it and the other couldn't be consoled, so I'd have to go pick her up. But at night I'd bring her back after she'd fallen asleep in the stroller so I'd end up getting some alone time. It was great. I agree with Michelle that Carnival is very good about handling the little ones - probably because so often they have toddlers who haven't been away from their parents before.

Best,

Mia

We just returned from 8 days on the Carnival Miracle with our daughter, Emily who just turned 2 at the end of June. She's cruised 3 times before, but this was her first time being old enough to go to Camp Carnival. I was a bit nervous, since she's never been to daycare. I can't say enough wonderful things about the staff and the Camp Carnival program! Emily would wake up every morning asking to go to camp to play, and would run all the way there with a big smile. We brought home a big bag of all of her "arts and crafts". Funship Freddy was her favorite. She would cling to him everytime she saw him. At the Captain's Welcome party, Freddy took her by the hand up onto the stage with the orchestra for a dance...wonderful pictures and memories for us all!

2001961840091248939qwJHUp?vhost=family

My daughter turned 2 just 12 days before our Glory cruise last week. She loved it. She was a little nervous the firts couple of times we dropped her off, and she cried for a minute, but then she settled down and loved the activities and the counselors. She never wanted to leave. :)

She does go to daycare every day at home, so that experience may have helped her in Camp Carnival.

Keep in mind that Carnival will take 2 years olds and will change diapers. I don't think RCL takes 2 year olds.

We have tried Camp Carnival for DD's last 3 cruises. We sailed 4 days after she turned 2, then again at 2yr3mo and just recently at 2yr10mo. She has yet to stay at Camp. She goes to daycare everyday but for some reason she wont stay in camp carnival. She cries unconsolably until we come get her. We did babysitting with her on a previous cruise when she was 17mo and she did great. The first cruise on the Inspiration I didnt find the camp staff to be as accomodating, they made me leave right away even after I spoke to a supervisor just requesting to stay a few minutes to help her get aquainted, she had just turned two so I thought it was a reasonable request. They wouldnt let me past the door. They called me 10 minutes later. When I came to pick her up, she was alone in the corner just crying. They seemed to have the attitude that they were just too busy and she was disrupting the other kids. I didnt feel comfortable with them that cruise.

The second cruise on the Liberty they were a bit more accomodating, staying with her but called me right away again to come get her which was fine.

This last cruise on the Inspiration again, they were very accomodating letting me stay for 15min and even giving her candy and really engaging her in play and doing everything possible to make her feel safe there but she still was unconsolable. I think for the most part they are very good overall but sometimes you may get a few workers who are tired or burnt out or whatever the reason just not as tolerating of younger kids.

We did all the family activities together and she had an absolute blast, especially the family welcome aboard party. I am hoping when she is older she will be able to separate better because I know she would enjoy it if she stayed. We just prepare ourselves for having her with us the entire time just in case.

Julie

Our little girl Allison's first cruise was a few weeks after she turned 2. She did great! She wanted to go visit Freddy and Freddy's friends all week. We brought her diapers and wipes in a small diaper bag, and the staff was very accomodating.

It wasn't until she turned 3 that she started to get a little separation anxiety and we had to pick her up! But that same night she went back and then went back when SHE wanted to the rest of the week. Little doses for that age are the key. We would take her for just an hour or two at a time, and only once a day.

Catrin

On RCI, the kid's program will not take a child who's not completely potty-trained. They do have a "play-time", but parents MUST be there with the child--sort of defeats the purpose!

And RCI's Adventure Ocean's minimum age is 3, regardless of potty status. Ashelleigh's 2-y/o DS wouldn't be allowed in AO. If access to the kid's club is important (and it sounds like it is) and especially having one sibling allowed in, while the other is too young, then we'd choose Carnival over RCI.

beachchick

• 2 months later...

Hate to ask an easy question but: how much does Carnival charge for a child to be in Camp Carnival? I see that the nighttime babysitting costs extra per hour, but can't find rates for the Camp Carnival program.

Also, what are the hours Camp Carnival is open? All day? Only certain times?

This will be for a just-turned 2 year old.

Hate to ask an easy question but: how much does Carnival charge for a child to be in Camp Carnival? I see that the nighttime babysitting costs extra per hour, but can't find rates for the Camp Carnival program.

Also, what are the hours Camp Carnival is open? All day? Only certain times?

This will be for a just-turned 2 year old.

Camp Carnival is Free!! The hours vary, but are usually 9am - noon, 2-5ish, and then from 7-10pm.

Plus, they will also take kids to the Lido Buffet for dinner.

Sometimes, the afternoon programs are Family activities where adults attend.... like Build a Bear, or Family scavenger hunts.

If you go to www.webshots.com, you can search Camp Carnival Capers to give you an idea of the activities and times open.

Catrin

wow that's cool, and thanks for the link. Sounds like we could leave her during the day for an hour or two at a time, as well as at dinner so we could like civil adults... being 2, the idea of a long dinner does not appeal to her. Then we can use babysitting at night, for an additional fee, if we want a 'night out.' Or we can all just go to sleep for 12 straight hours, which is never a bad thing on a cruise.

any other tips? We haven't been on Carnival before - how does it compare to Princess and RCCL?

psychtobe - the parents here at the family board have uploaded carnival capers for kids and the Carnival kids menus here...

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06

Just click on Carnival. :D

As far as tips of Carnival verses RCCL....as far as the kids club, they are both pretty much the same. There have similiar activities on both. I found that we like Camp Carnival better for my youngest (she started in Camp Carnival at Age 2 and went back when she was 3)

They'll change diapers in Camp Carnival (just bring diapers/wipes for them). You will be given a pager just in case your child wants to leave.

She can even eat with the camp if you wish. Look for the special kid meals on the capers.

Camp Carnival was amazing for our three year old.

The great thing about it as well was there were certain times when we could pay to drop off our twins that were under 2. So, even if your child isn't quite 2, they may still be able to go play some of the time.

They also have family time when you can take them.

Our kids are not in daycare (home with a nanny), but still loved it as others did. There were not a lot of kids on the cruise, so the camp wasn't overly crowded.

The staff is amazing.

Archived