Have you noticed a difference?

lysolqn

If you've sailed since the recently modified dress code was introduced, did you notice any signficant changes in passenger dress? In other words, with the exception of the elimination for informal nights, is dressing down particularly evident or do things remain pretty much the same?

If you've sailed since the recently modified dress code was introduced, did you notice any signficant changes in passenger dress? In other words, with the exception of the elimination for informal nights, is dressing down particularly evident or do things remain pretty much the same?

Not significant,just the continuous,slow erosion that has been going on for years. Fewer people get dressed up everywhere.Cruises,church,restaurants,even sporting events---take a look at World Series newsreels--ties and fedoras.

Sometimes it's a good thing -sometimes not---but the direction will not change.

For me it is a pleasure to dress for diner. So I wear a gown for formal nights and cocktail dresses for other nights. No casual for me. I feel fine and don't care if some nights I am overdressed (casual nights) it is my cruise and my pleasure :)

For me it is a pleasure to dress for diner. So I wear a gown for formal nights and cocktail dresses for other nights. No casual for me. I feel fine and don't care if some nights I am overdressed (casual nights) it is my cruise and my pleasure :)

Some people may be unaware that the new =X= code for casual is 'smart casual and above'. I like the 'and above' because you can feel free to dress more formally (which we plan on doing) without feeling like you're breaking any rules.

While reading this thread one thought crossed my mind.

Maybe it is due to the way things were when I was growing up, but it has always been important for me to be appropriately dressed for the occasion. For that reason, I feel just as uncomfortable being overdressed as I do being under dressed.

Am I the only one who feels that way?

Maybe it is due to the way things were when I was growing up, but it has always been important for me to be appropriately dressed for the occasion. For that reason, I feel just as uncomfortable being overdressed as I do being under dressed.

You are not alone - we much prefer everyone on the ship to be attired in the same fashion and of course will miss that aspect of the cruise experience. But given that =X= has felt the need to succumb in order to stay competitive with the other lines, the only other alternative is to run with the herd and dress casually. It's your choice.

I also feel the same way. In fact, with our upcoming cruise, I was contemplating on whether some of my outfits may be a bit too dressy for non-formal evenings. Not that they are really dressy, but maybe just a little more geared to be coordinated with my husband wearing his sports jackets, which he will no longer bring now. In any event, I will take a chance and wear them on the Millie since I believe I won't be alone in doing so.:)

I also feel the same way. In fact, with our upcoming cruise, I was contemplating on whether some of my outfits may be a bit too dressy for non-formal evenings. Not that they are really dressy, but maybe just a little more geared to be coordinated with my husband wearing his sports jackets, which he will no longer bring now. In any event, I will take a chance and wear them on the Millie since I believe I won't be alone in doing so.:)

You will be fine. On our cruise, there were a number of people dressed more formally on each night (although I didn't see any tuxes on the non-formal nights:D ).

Where did you cruise to?

Who? Me? Alaska. And I didn't mean to imply more formal than before the code change, but just more formal than the minimum (for men, I guess that would be jeans and a polo; for women it is harder to state, but you can tell). I don't think it was more formal than before the code change.

Yes you.;)

I suspected Alaska...the dress is much more expediton like, and I wanted to be sure the itinerary was identified before it potentially became misconstrued that this was the overall idea.

Glad you has a good time...I have yet to get there.

Expedition like? Never heard it referred to as such. Does that mean more casual? Should I expect something significantly different on our Baltic cruise next summer?

Not significant,just the continuous,slow erosion that has been going on for years. Fewer people get dressed up everywhere.Cruises,church,restaurants,even sporting events---take a look at World Series newsreels--ties and fedoras.

Sometimes it's a good thing -sometimes not---but the direction will not change.

SADLY, YOU ARE RIGHT.

Some people may be unaware that the new =X= code for casual is 'smart casual and above'. I like the 'and above' because you can feel free to dress more formally (which we plan on doing) without feeling like you're breaking any rules.

We are generally over dressed on a day to day basis, simply going to the market or walking along the bay because we don't wear jeans, flip flops etc. So we too will continue to dress up and enjoy ourselves, over dressed or not. It is after all our cruise. We simply enjoy dressing for dinner every night. At least those of us who continue to dress help to keep things from deteriorating any further. :D

I actually like the new dress code. With the new rules for airlines charging for extra luggage it makes sense. We plan on eating in our cabin for formal nights this way we dont have to pay an extra charge for a garmet bag. I figure it would be a great night to have dinner in the room and watch a movie. Now don't get mad with my question, but you can wear jeans on casual night? If you can it will make packing a little easier. You can still dress nice wearing jeans with a belt and a button down shirt plus nice shoes.

. Now don't get mad with my question, but you can wear jeans on casual night? If you can it will make packing a little easier. You can still dress nice wearing jeans with a belt and a button down shirt plus nice shoes.

Although I've read conflicting answers here, all I can tell you is: (a) I wore jeans every casual night without any issues; (b) many others also wore jeans every casual night and I did not see or hear of any problems; © our cruise documents did not mention any prohibition on jeans (said pants, I believe); and (d) the daily programs and onboard signage no longer mentioned any prohibition on jeans. Regarding (a) and (b), we were on an Alaska cruise, which may make some difference.

We never did "casual" nights anyway. We simply did formal nights and all others were "informal" i.e. sports jacket, tie etc. for me, sharp-looking dress/pantsuit etc. for my wife. We will simply continue to do that. For sure, that would never be considered overdressed.

While reading this thread one thought crossed my mind.

Me too! In fact, if I had my choice between being over-dressed or under-dressed, I'd rather be slightly under. On a Westerdam cruise last December, my husband was amongst a very small minority in a tux on the first formal night. He felt so out of place in a sea (no pun intended!) of rather casually dressed pax, he wore a suit the second formal night - and was still overdressed!

Our last cruise was on the Summit Sept. 8th out of Barcelona

Dress Code is not enforced at all ie as an example, we noticed men wearing jeans on a formal night. (Twice).

I only wish Summit would enforce the rules they post for the benefit of those who follow them.

We went in to Harry's Bar in Venice and noticed a man wearing cutoff jeans was asked to leave.

Why can't Summit do the same?

I'm with you!!

I don't really care what the new dress code is. I will dress in a way that pleases me. For me, that is a more dressy style.

I've been staying out of the dress code threads lately, but something has compelled me to pop into this one. ;)

I just want to comment to those folks who say they feel awkward when they are "overdressed".

I'd like to suggest that you rethink this feeling, and make an effort to eliminate it. It is completely within your power to do so. I'm suggesting this because it just seems a shame to have this negative, uncomfortable factor during your vacation, when it is entirely unnecessary. Trust me that it is completely within your own head, and there is simply no reason for you to EITHER 1) not do something you find enjoyable (dress up) because you want to avoid that feeling, or 2) go ahead and dress up, but then enjoy it less because you feel this discomfort.

It might help you to eliminate this feeling if you think about this: nobody else cares that you are dressed up! And even if somebody does, why should you care? Why should you give two hoots what some stranger thinks about your clothes? Especially when you are actually dressing NICER than most. The reality is, even among the few folks who might even notice that you are dressed a bit nicer, it would probably generate more smiles than anything else! Think about it - what do YOU think when you see someone dressed a little nicer than the dress code? Do YOU look at them and think, "what a couple of dandified bozos getting all fancied up like that"? Or do you think, "my goodness, look how lovely that couple looks tonight! They must be celebrating something - how sweet."

Haven't you ever gone out to a restaurant for a special occasion, and been more dressed up than most of the restaurant's other patrons? I know I have. We've celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, or perhaps been going out to the theatre, or going to some other special occasion that required dressing to the nines, and eaten dinner at a restaurant where we were the nicest-dressed folks there. Did people look askance at us? No! If we got any looks at all, they were smiles. And if anyone harbored any nasty thoughts about us, well, the hell with them, they aren't anyone I care about anyway.

Given all the hand-wringing that goes on in here about the general decline of the dress code, I hate to see people who would prefer that people dress UP, actually dressing DOWN because they are so afraid of what others will think about them for being too dressed UP. Seems kinda like a self-fulfilling prophecy, y'know?

So - wear that cocktail dress with pride! Tie that bow tie! Throw on the bling, and strut your stuff! Enjoy your night out at sea, in the style that you prefer. If enough people do this, then it could become a cascade - MORE people will dress up, because they too will lose their discomfort. Don't be a follower - be a leader! :)

I've been staying out of the dress code threads lately, but something has compelled me to pop into this one. ;)

I just want to comment to those folks who say they feel awkward when they are "overdressed".

I'd like to suggest that you rethink this feeling, and make an effort to eliminate it. It is completely within your power to do so. I'm suggesting this because it just seems a shame to have this negative, uncomfortable factor during your vacation, when it is entirely unnecessary. Trust me that it is completely within your own head, and there is simply no reason for you to EITHER 1) not do something you find enjoyable (dress up) because you want to avoid that feeling, or 2) go ahead and dress up, but then enjoy it less because you feel this discomfort.

It might help you to eliminate this feeling if you think about this: nobody else cares that you are dressed up! And even if somebody does, why should you care? Why should you give two hoots what some stranger thinks about your clothes? Especially when you are actually dressing NICER than most. The reality is, even among the few folks who might even notice that you are dressed a bit nicer, it would probably generate more smiles than anything else! Think about it - what do YOU think when you see someone dressed a little nicer than the dress code? Do YOU look at them and think, "what a couple of dandified bozos getting all fancied up like that"? Or do you think, "my goodness, look how lovely that couple looks tonight! They must be celebrating something - how sweet."

Haven't you ever gone out to a restaurant for a special occasion, and been more dressed up than most of the restaurant's other patrons? I know I have. We've celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, or perhaps been going out to the theatre, or going to some other special occasion that required dressing to the nines, and eaten dinner at a restaurant where we were the nicest-dressed folks there. Did people look askance at us? No! If we got any looks at all, they were smiles. And if anyone harbored any nasty thoughts about us, well, the hell with them, they aren't anyone I care about anyway.

Given all the hand-wringing that goes on in here about the general decline of the dress code, I hate to see people who would prefer that people dress UP, actually dressing DOWN because they are so afraid of what others will think about them for being too dressed UP. Seems kinda like a self-fulfilling prophecy, y'know?

So - wear that cocktail dress with pride! Tie that bow tie! Throw on the bling, and strut your stuff! Enjoy your night out at sea, in the style that you prefer. If enough people do this, then it could become a cascade - MORE people will dress up, because they too will lose their discomfort. Don't be a follower - be a leader! :)

Well said!

One more thing. A definite way to prove to Celebrity that "everyone" wanted the dress code reduced in taste/looks is to accept it and stop dressing as you always did! Prove the opposite! Dress up! Show Celebrity that there are lots of us out there who still want the original dress code. No one really cares if someone else shows up to dinner in:eek: a sparkly thong; it means nothing to any single one of us. The only real thing that is lost here is the general lovely ambience around the ship for the whole night. And that's Celebrity's loss not ours. Eventually, Celebrity will force us to realize that there are lots of other lines out there, and that Celebrity is offering us nothing special or different from those other lines, so we might as well not stick to just Celebrity. Sad. But true.

Thanks LeeAnne for such words of encouragement!! Too bad there aren't lapel pins we could wear that would proclaim this loud and clear so that =X= might sit up and take notice!

People need to remember the 'and above' in the =X= casual dress code lexicon and not feel that they are overdressed at any time.

Me too! In fact, if I had my choice between being over-dressed or under-dressed, I'd rather be slightly under. On a Westerdam cruise last December, my husband was amongst a very small minority in a tux on the first formal night. He felt so out of place in a sea (no pun intended!) of rather casually dressed pax, he wore a suit the second formal night - and was still overdressed!

Most people seem to say that they don't care what others wear but I totally agree with you that it definitely takes away from the experience when everyone else is casual. I have made this point on several occasions. When do you feel uncomfortable -10 people not dressed, 100 people not dressed, etc. Obviously, you have reached the point.

Archived