Have you noticed a difference?

lysolqn

Most people seem to say that they don't care what others wear but I totally agree with you that it definitely takes away from the experience when everyone else is casual. I have made this point on several occasions.

And this is what I'm suggesting you let go of. Choosing to feel this way (and it IS a choice - you can decide for yourself what you want to feel about this) not only reduces your own enjoyment, but actually exacerbates the problem...because you become one more person who dresses down, instead of up.

When do you feel uncomfortable -10 people not dressed, 100 people not dressed, etc. Obviously, you have reached the point.

The answer for me is...NEVER. I choose not to let what other people wear impact my own enjoyment. I prefer to dress up on my wonderful nights at sea - and I simply do not allow what everyone else is wearing have any impact whatsoever on my own pleasure. I dress to please myself and my own party, not the rest of the passengers...always, of course, respecting the stated dress code. And I encourage you to do the same. As I said before, the more people do this, the less of a problem it will be! :D

...I choose not to let what other people wear impact my own enjoyment. I prefer to dress up on my wonderful nights at sea - and I simply do not allow what everyone else is wearing have any impact whatsoever on my own pleasure. I dress to please myself and my own party, not the rest of the passengers...always, of course, respecting the stated dress code. And I encourage you to do the same. As I said before, the more people do this, the less of a problem it will be! :D

I don't disagree with you at all; and we've never allowed what other people choose to wear or not wear affect our enjoyment of a cruise. Notwithstanding, I'd still feel darn uncomfortable being the only cocktail dress at a table of jeans - even if the "jeans" were the ones who were inappropriately dressed.

I don't disagree with you at all; and we've never allowed what other people choose to wear or not wear affect our enjoyment of a cruise. Notwithstanding, I'd still feel darn uncomfortable being the only cocktail dress at a table of jeans - even if the "jeans" were the ones who were inappropriately dressed.

I do understand, and please don't think I'm not sympathetic to how you feel. I'm simply encouraging everyone to choose NOT to feel this way. Remember, how you feel about this IS a choice. And MY choice, if I was to find myself sitting at a table of jeans-wearers while sporting my favorite dazzling cocktail dress, would be to feel GOOD about myself knowing that *I* look great.....especially in comparison to my table-mates! :D And, at the same time, the fact that I'm so dressed up might help others nearby, who chose to pay attention to that "...and up" clause in the dress code, feel comfortable in their own fancier garb. There's no downside here! :)

Returned the beginning of Sept from Mediterrean cruise aboard the Galaxy. I did not see huge differences in dress since the change. We even had one man show up in shorts on formal night and nothing was said. He was allowed to enjoy his meal even though shorts were supposed to not be allowed in the dining room on any night after six. Go figure. :D

I think as the clientele expands to non-traditional X cruisers it will continue to erode. Flip flop nation advances!

but I agree that you must dress to please yourself & your own dinner companions otherwise you will not be happy with your choices...

What is really interesting to me is that the dress code has definitely been relaxed, the cruise lines do not enforce them, but the television and print ads for X and others continue to show folks in all their finery. What's that about?

What is really interesting to me is that the dress code has definitely been relaxed, the cruise lines do not enforce them, but the television and print ads for X and others continue to show folks in all their finery. What's that about?

Because they DO still have formal nights - so formal nights is what they show in their adverts. :)

Hi jamesm :)

The TV ads also make it look as if every passenger aboard a Celebrity ship is beautiful and thin, while dressed in apparel that only looks good on thin people :)

The TV ads also make it look as if every passenger aboard a Celebrity ship is beautiful and thin, while dressed in apparel that only looks good on thin people :)

Not sure how many people would be attracted to a cruiseline where the ad photos showed average people like you see at the local mall food court. Besides, people need something to aspire to, especially when a certain lifestyle is involved.

A ship can't enforce the dress code, but the maitre d' can and should.

Yes, the maitre d' can and should (and I wish they would) - BUT that puts the cruise line at risk of alienating passengers who may choose not to return to X and/or may spread the word to friends/family that X enforces its dress code, thereby costing the cruise line potential new pax. It's all about the bottom line, and while I don't agree with X's look-the-other-way policy, I understand where the cruise line is coming from - I don't like it, but I understand it.

Beyond that is the matter of asking maitre d's to act as the dreaded Clothing Police. And frankly, I don't blame them for not wanting to take a role which would place them squarely on the receiving end of anger from often abusive passengers. Playing devil's advocate, the whole dress code issue is a tough call for the cruise line.

And this is what I'm suggesting you let go of. Choosing to feel this way (and it IS a choice - you can decide for yourself what you want to feel about this) not only reduces your own enjoyment, but actually exacerbates the problem...because you become one more person who dresses down, instead of up.

The answer for me is...NEVER. I choose not to let what other people wear impact my own enjoyment. I prefer to dress up on my wonderful nights at sea - and I simply do not allow what everyone else is wearing have any impact whatsoever on my own pleasure. I dress to please myself and my own party, not the rest of the passengers...always, of course, respecting the stated dress code. And I encourage you to do the same. As I said before, the more people do this, the less of a problem it will be! :D

I do not let this ruin my vacation and we continue to dress up. Actually, I usually wear a sport coat on most nights. Most ships are relatvively cool and I need the pockets to carry my "STUFF" as George Carlin would say. At his point, most people still dress up on formal evenings so I have not gotten to the point where I am the "odd man out". Actually, I enjoy looking down on people who do not dress - Here comes the flames!! However, I still feely strongly that there is a point where nonparticipation will start to affect the overall experience. That said, we will still dress up and look down on even more people.

I do not let this ruin my vacation and we continue to dress up. Actually, I usually wear a sport coat on most nights. Most ships are relatvively cool and I need the pockets to carry my "STUFF" as George Carlin would say. At his point, most people still dress up on formal evenings so I have not gotten to the point where I am the "odd man out". Actually, I enjoy looking down on people who do not dress - Here comes the flames!! However, I still feely strongly that there is a point where nonparticipation will start to affect the overall experience. That said, we will still dress up and look down on even more people.

LOL - no flames from me! I'm sure it's completely non-PC to say that we too enjoy the guilty pleasure of a little private eye-rolling at some of the...um..."creative" interpretations of the dress code (or lack thereof) ;) that we sometimes see in the dining room.

And I'm pleased to hear that you do not let the "dress-downers" stop you from dressing up as you please. I still believe that there are more of us who want to dress up than down - and as long as we keep doing that, and not letting the minor discomfort of feeling overdressed stop us, then we will continue to enjoy that special dining-at-sea ambiance we all love. :)

I (Giorgi-one) do not let this ruin my vacation and we continue to dress up. Actually, I usually wear a sport coat on most nights. Most ships are relatvively cool and I need the pockets to carry my "STUFF" as George Carlin would say. At his point, most people still dress up on formal evenings so I have not gotten to the point where I am the "odd man out". Actually, I enjoy looking down on people who do not dress - Here comes the flames!! However, I still feely strongly that there is a point where nonparticipation will start to affect the overall experience. That said, we will still dress up and look down on even more people.

LOL - no flames from me! I'm sure it's completely non-PC to say that we too enjoy the guilty pleasure of a little private eye-rolling at some of the...um..."creative" interpretations of the dress code (or lack thereof) ;) that we sometimes see in the dining room.

And I'm pleased to hear that you do not let the "dress-downers" stop you from dressing up as you please. I still believe that there are more of us who want to dress up than down - and as long as we keep doing that, and not letting the minor discomfort of feeling overdressed stop us, then we will continue to enjoy that special dining-at-sea ambiance we all love. :)

I am chuckling away here! :DYou two are so right on! Here I thought that we were the only two who might have felt this way. So, for sure, no flames from me! But, wait....I am sure that they will be coming our way! ;) LOL

Not sure how many people would be attracted to a cruiseline where the ad photos showed average people like you see at the local mall food court. Besides, people need something to aspire to, especially when a certain lifestyle is involved.

Hi rolfecms :)

I agree with you and can certainly understand why the ads for Celebrity try to convey that image.

At the same time, I think that when a passenger with a weight problem wears a formal outfit that is designed for a thin person they look more out of place than a passenger who wears an outfit that is appropriate for their age and body type, but deviates slightly from the dress code.

Ironically, in spite of all the dress code discussions, I have rarely seen a passenger on either Royal Caribbean, Holland America, or Celebrity who did not comply with the dress code in the main dining room on formal night, or wear something that was "close enough" to fit in. On the other hand, I have seen many passengers wearing formal outfits that were not appropriate for their age and/or body type.

I (Giorgi-one) do not let this ruin my vacation and we continue to dress up. Actually, I usually wear a sport coat on most nights. Most ships are relatvively cool and I need the pockets to carry my "STUFF" as George Carlin would say. At his point, most people still dress up on formal evenings so I have not gotten to the point where I am the "odd man out". Actually, I enjoy looking down on people who do not dress - Here comes the flames!! However, I still feely strongly that there is a point where nonparticipation will start to affect the overall experience. That said, we will still dress up and look down on even more people.

I am chuckling away here! :DYou two are so right on! Here I thought that we were the only two who might have felt this way. So, for sure, no flames from me! But, wait....I am sure that they will be coming our way! ;) LOL

Actually, I do not look down on anyone. I was just having some fun. However, I do feel angry when I see someone in shorts or too-informal wear in the dining room. I would definitely complain to the Restaurant Manager and would encourage others to do the same. No way I would sit with them. Someone in a previous post indicated that dress codes are not enforced because the Criuse Line does not want to lose a potential future custromer. If those of use who want to follow the rules are really in the majority, I suspect that the Cruise Line would reconsider their approach if 50 or 100 or 500 people complained about the offenders every time it happened. Let's take back our cruise line. After all it really does belong to the passengers, we are just letting the cruise line do the work.

Actually, I do not look down on anyone. I was just having some fun.

HEY now! You can't go and get us to admit that we secretly smirk at people who dress funky, and then go and take it back, leaving us looking like snarky holier-than-thouers!!! :D

HEY now! You can't go and get us to admit that we secretly smirk at people who dress funky, and then go and take it back, leaving us looking like snarky holier-than-thouers!!! :D

Not what I meant to do. I didn't say that I don't smirk.

Not criticizing but I find it hard to understand the sport coat versus suit thing. Are there really people ou there who do not own a dark suit? What happens if you die? And the extremenes people will go to avoid an extra bag charge so they don't have to dress formally. Most are spending $3000 or more for the cruise and flights. You don't think this is just a made-up excuse do you?

Talking about being more dressed up than other folks in restaurants reminded me of the time years ago when we were having an early dinner on New Year's Eve. The middle aged couple at the adjoining table were obviously 'on a date' and the lady, clearly thinking, "It's New Year's Eve and I should dress the part" was attired in a filmy baby blue floor-length evening dress. But her 'date' was apparently not of the same mind-set--because they were at what can only be described as a "bar-be-que joint" with sawdust on the floor!! I felt so badly for her--they sat there and didn't say a word throughout the entire meal, and all I could think was that she must have been crushed and felt SO out of place!

This was at least 30 years ago but has stayed on my mind all this time--not sure exactly what the lesson is, but I do try to dress appropriately for the occasion--assuming I know what that is!

Cathy

Not what I meant to do. I didn't say that I don't smirk.

Um...I was just poking a little fun. No need to take things so seriously.

Not criticizing but I find it hard to understand the sport coat versus suit thing. Are there really people ou there who do not own a dark suit? What happens if you die? And the extremenes people will go to avoid an extra bag charge so they don't have to dress formally. Most are spending $3000 or more for the cruise and flights. You don't think this is just a made-up excuse do you?

Yes, there are people out there who do not own a dark suit. Many people do not have a lifestyle that involves wearing suits and have had no reason to purchase one. They may not feel inclined to spend the money to go buy one JUST to wear for this one event. (As for what happens if they die... :eek: ... I personally don't think I will CARE what I'm wearing when I'm dead! I can tell you for sure that what I will wear when I'm dead has never factored into my choices while I am shopping for clothes.)

As for "going to extremes to avoid an extra bag charge" - Not everyone is spending that much for a cruise. To many, the extra bag charge is a chunk of change that can be avoided simply by packing a little lighter. Those "extra charges" start to add up, and frugal people on a budget may choose to keep their costs down by packing lighter...which might mean leaving that suit home in place of a sport jacket that can be worn more than once or twice.

It might seem like I'm arguing on both sides of the fence here, but the point I'm trying to make is that I have no problem with folks who dress on the more casual end of the dress code - as long as they are making the effort. I may enjoy a smirk or two at the folks who wear their hiking clothes on formal night - but someone dressed in a nice sport coat and pair of dress slacks will get no smirks from me.

Um...I was just poking a little fun. No need to take things so seriously.

Yes, there are people out there who do not own a dark suit. Many people do not have a lifestyle that involves wearing suits and have had no reason to purchase one. They may not feel inclined to spend the money to go buy one JUST to wear for this one event. (As for what happens if they die... :eek: ... I personally don't think I will CARE what I'm wearing when I'm dead! I can tell you for sure that what I will wear when I'm dead has never factored into my choices while I am shopping for clothes.)

As for "going to extremes to avoid an extra bag charge" - Not everyone is spending that much for a cruise. To many, the extra bag charge is a chunk of change that can be avoided simply by packing a little lighter. Those "extra charges" start to add up, and frugal people on a budget may choose to keep their costs down by packing lighter...which might mean leaving that suit home in place of a sport jacket that can be worn more than once or twice.

It might seem like I'm arguing on both sides of the fence here, but the point I'm trying to make is that I have no problem with folks who dress on the more casual end of the dress code - as long as they are making the effort. I may enjoy a smirk or two at the folks who wear their hiking clothes on formal night - but someone dressed in a nice sport coat and pair of dress slacks will get no smirks from me.

Sorry I asked!

Archived