HAL Introduces New Martinis

WeLoveCruising

Just saw this press release and wondering if the new drinks are available on the ships yet, and if anyones tried them? We're sailing on the Maasdam in a few weeks and hope to have them available.

My usual drink is the Fresh Grapefruit cosmo (love it!), but some of these sound interesting....

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?Feed=PR&Date=20080915&ID=9143396&Symbol=CCL

I don't know sounds like the new martinis will come with the upgrades beginning next spring. Maybe they can be had on Eurodam & Vista ships (Pinnicle Grill )sooner. It was on the money page so they may be pricey. But the sound good:) .

I thought the same, but if you read the press release, it says that the cocktails are a precusor to the upcoming changes, so I was curious. The wording in the press release looks like they might be available now, rather than waiting for the upgrades.

"Launched as a precursor to the highly anticipated Martinis that will be a part of the upcoming Mix specialty theme bar area, Holland America Line's new martini menu was inspired to infuse a new splash of sophistication to its already popular bars and lounges"

I also read that.

JMO -- but since so many of them are supposed to be made with Grey Goose -- I can't imagine what the price may be.

We used to order Grey Goose on the rocks -- and for barely an ounce we were charged $8.95 plus 15% gratuity.

On our last 6 or 8 recent cruises we have noticed that for the most part people are not spending BIG bucks in the lounges anymore. Especially on the longer cruises which we do -- 23 days -- 19 days.

I was aboard Amsterdam as HAL was updating the bar menus 4 years ago...

...they had a Mixologist traveling from ship to ship teaching the bartenders the new drink recipes - staying aboard each ship 2 weeks at a time.

I'm sure that the rollout of this new bar menu will be somewhat similar - and with the numbers of ships in the fleet, it could take 6 months for a complete rollout.

is just for snob appeal. You could use Popov and the taste will be the same. On the rocks is different. If I am drinking an overpriced vodka, I don't mix it with anything. If I want a martini, it's Beefeater up. I hate calling cocktails, martinis, just cause they are in a martini glass that usually spills part of the drink in places other than your mouth. I bet on a blind taste test no one could select Grey Goose from a flight of 5 o6 different vodkas including cheap American selections like Smirnoff, Wolfschmitt or Popov.

doesn't anyone drink a classic martini anymore - like say

a 007 Tanquery?

Sure do! I generally drink very dry Beefeater Martinis. I'm sorry but if it is not Gin and Vermouth it isn't a Martini. (He said as he ducked for cover!)

Padraic

If I want a martini, it's Beefeater up. I hate calling cocktails, martinis, just cause they are in a martini glass that usually spills part of the drink in places other than your mouth.

Sure do! I generally drink very dry Beefeater Martinis. I'm sorry but if it is not Gin and Vermouth it isn't a Martini. (He said as he ducked for cover!)

You are both soooo right. My husband would be rolling over in his grave if he knew what people are calling "martini". :eek:

no wonder you are in such great shape to post so often. If I was drinking as much as I do only on the rocks I would be over 5000 by now. Hic!

And cheaper than calling old friends by phone when I am in the bag.

Every once in a while we get a GOOD bartender and do get decent drinks.

But generally -- the majority of the bar tenders just fill the shot glass BARELY to the white line -- not even a full 1 1/2 ounces. You can't get drunk on 2 of HAL's drinks.

I agree with the purists who posted re Gin & a titch of vermouth being a Martini, but would you allow me one small change--occasionally I prefer Vodka in place of the gin? :)

Anything else may be called a martini by some, but is to me, not.

I find such classic cocktails on the ships generally well made and well presented.

Archived