sun princess formal nights

dianemh

we leave on Sat on our Sun Princess cruise. My DH isn't keen on taking a suit, how formal are the formal nights? will he look out of place without a jacket? he was planning on wearing shirt and tie.

Also, i can see from our docs, we leave from wharf 8, i presume this is darling harbour, will the taxi drivers know where to take us?

we leave on Sat on our Sun Princess cruise. My DH isn't keen on taking a suit, how formal are the formal nights? will he look out of place without a jacket? he was planning on wearing shirt and tie.

Also, i can see from our docs, we leave from wharf 8, i presume this is darling harbour, will the taxi drivers know where to take us?

Yes, WHarf 8 - Darling Harbour. The cabbies will know where to go.

If your hubby is comfortable with collar and tie, it will be OK. Some go the full deal with tux's, others wear suits, others in shirt and tie - no problems.

Formal nights are to me a reflection of how cruising was in more Genteel times.

My experiences in my industry (Sport) extend to the most extravant formal nights to whats happening in the gym !

My experience is also that the ladies really welcome the opportunity to dress up.

Be truthful Diane, I expect you would really welcome the opportunity to dress up for the night. And I would suggest that your husband should respect that!

Packing a coat to go with some matching trousers is no big deal. I alway take my "penguine Suit" coat and a couple of matching duds that I can use at other times.

Your husband would not be necessarily out of place to go in just a shirt and tie, but I can assure you it would be so much better if you both fronted up "really Formal".

Just my opinion

cheers

Last June/July on SP, I spotted various modes of dress in the dining room on formal nights...from jeans and shirts to Tuxedos. No enforcement at all of advertised minimum dress standards, jacket and tie, which is a pity. I wore a nice blazer, shirt and tie, perfectly acceptable. That will be my formal attire from now on, too much weight in the suitcase to take tuxedos and jacket overseas with 20Kg limit on the aircraft.

Yes, all the cabbies know wharf 8, Darling Harbour.

Flipper, did you get the heads up on the Ibis in Perth, very good for a precruise night.

Flipper, did you get the heads up on the Ibis in Perth, very good for a precruise night.

Hi Les

Yup, been checking out accommodation options for Perth (We are staying post cruise for 2 x nights)

Ibis seems to be in a reasonably good area (Close to Murray St Shops) and their internet rates of between $150-$160 seem fine as well.

Another option I am also looking at is the Medina on Barrack (just around corner from Ibis) and the Grand Medina which is on Mounts Bay Rd. Both these properties (and a couple of others) I can book via Cricket's in house arrangements and get a very good corporate rate as well. Closer to the time I will crank up my research...in the meantime I welcome any other thoughts and ideas you might have.

I see elsewhere that you have posted comments about your 20% compo from Carnival. Was the loss of not visiting some ports due to tendering problems such a big deal? I suspect if it is an ongoing issue that Princess will re-consider this itinery.

I also find it interesting that both Cairns and Townsville are Tender ports for Sun Princess. Flies somewhat in the face of the Carnival CEO who claims she may bypass Brisbane in the future in favour of these northern ports

Cheers

Flipper, Ibis had their winter rate on when I booked in early June last year, $69. Might pay to wait.

Re 20% compo, mate it was not for missed ports, it was for stuffed up tendering ops in Cairns and Townsville. People waited 5 hours to get off.

We copped the missed ports due to weather, no one can cop the blame for that, well maybe one person, up above. Everyone on that SP cruise got the goodwill discount, without asking, damage control I suppose. Well their ploy worked, we just used ours.

Best wishes..Les:cool:

Archived