Gov't Taxes and Other Fees?

The A Train

We recently rec'd a quote of $364 for these charges on the Oceania's June 26, 2009 cruise Barcelona to Istanbul. We received no response when asked, what are these charges for?!

We have numerous invoices from many different cruise lines, and, rarely is there a line for "Gov't taxes and other fees". Princess, Cunard and Crystal show no such item; Celebrity and Seabourn both show under $100 for their cruises. Oceania shows $364.

Fair to ask "what for"?

We have numerous invoices from many different cruise lines, and, rarely is there a line for "Gov't taxes and other fees". Princess, Cunard and Crystal show no such item;

It may not have been shown on your invoice but trust me you were charged for them:)

However, for apparently some "reason", it's been determined to be "Closed"!

It was, I believe, closed because people were getting "nasty". Don't want that to happen hear. That thread tells you what the charges are. Every line charges the fees - but some just put it as part of the price and others elect to identify the charges.

Bottom line, the cruises will make their profit margins, with or without identifying the "port" charges as a separate line item.

Let me try again.

As I noted, Princess, Cunard, and Crystal quote cruisefares, to include port charges, and, that's it.

Celebrity and Seabourn quote cruisefares, but, also include under $100 gov't taxes, etc.

Oceania, on this cruise quotes $364 gov't taxes, in addition to the base fare with port charges.

So, I ask what are these charges, and, why are they not included in the base fare?

When anyone compares base cruise prices, they're not expecting add-ons, but Oceanis here has as add-on of $364.

And, what's it for?

Hey troops, I'm probably the one who caused a lot of the trouble. I've been trying to get that breakdown, and more, but have had no success.

Again, in 1997 Princess got hit for over charging for port fees. Seems that they thought that they could do it to line their pockets. It's only a matter of time until the Florida AG get enough complaints to investigate "gov't fees and taxes".

Even though seven other lines agreed not to charge for that which was NOT passed on the gov't entities, O was not a party to that agreement since they did not exist at that time. Who knows! Enough pax. lodge a complaint and maybe something will happen.

Again, in 1997 Princess got hit for over charging for port fees. Seems that they thought that they could do it to line their pockets. It's only a matter of time until the Florida AG get enough complaints to investigate "gov't fees and taxes".

Even though seven other lines agreed not to charge for that which was NOT passed on the gov't entities, O was not a party to that agreement since they did not exist at that time. Who knows! Enough pax. lodge a complaint and maybe something will happen.

Have you filed anything with the Florida AG?

Do you know they are overcharging?

LHT28- I didn't imply that at all. You assumed that is what I was implying based on what I can't discern. One last time.

In 1997, Princess got nailed for overcharging for port taxes based on an investigation by the Florida AG. Most likely because of complaints from pax. - probably Florida pax. Seven other lines, plus Princess, agreed not to impose fees other than what was initially quoted unless they were to be passed onto a gov't entity.

Since most, if not all, lines won't break down the "gov't fees & taxes", would not surprise me if the current Florida AG looks into "why" no breakdown if enough Florida, and maybe non Florida, pax. registered complaints. Who knows what lurks beneath the surface. Maybe something or maybe nothing.

Another question I have is "are they really gov't fees and taxes"? If you look at your telephone bill, there is a line item entitled "federal subscriber line charge". It"s not a federal charge and it's not passed on to the feds. Just another fee that the phone companies are allowed to collect and keep.

Hope this clears up my post.

Good for you Lyn. Cruising is for enjoying not mega analyzing. If you can afford it great-go and enjoy ,everyone. I love to cruise and go when I can and always have a good time, meet great people, and visit places I may not have been before. Isn't that the whole idea?

Joan

I do not really care if they break down the fees or not.

If the bottom line is not what I want to pay then I shop elsewhere.
Cruising is for enjoying not mega analyzing. If you can afford it great-go and enjoy

Bravo Ladies!

These fees are an infinitesimal portion of the total cost of an O cruise, anyway.

BTW, my bar bills are always way too high and nobody can explain the exhorbitant price that O claims to pay for Olives! ;-)

All major cruise lines charge the following components on their cruises:

1. Cruise itself

2. Port Charges (often included in the quoted price of a cruise, but NOT ALWAYS)

3. Government taxes and fees (seldom included in the quoted price of a cruise, and usually included in the fine print at the bottom of the advertised quote)

4. Fuel supplement

5. Currency conversion fees (usually just charged by land/sea operators operating where the U. S. dollar has tanked)

Port charges vary, based on what ports are visited.

Government taxes and fees also vary, based on itineraries, countries visited, ports visited, etc. For example, the State of Alaska has instituted a "visitor's tax" on every cruise passenger who visits Alaska. Good luck trying to get the individual cruise lines to break these fees down for you!

Fuel supplements - added by all cruise lines to help recover their enormous fuel costs. Will these be adjusted downward if fuel costs go back down? Don't hold your breath!

And of course the cruise lines only pay travel agency commissions on #1 above; that's why they LOVE to increase the cost of their cruises by tacking on items 2 through 5.

Clear as mud??

I beg to differ on your interpretation of Skybarshrek's point. His point is not: If you're happy, don't post simpliciter. It is: If you're happy and your experience is irrelevant to the issue at hand, don't post.

I am probably one of the "angry" to whom you are referring. The fact that I am angry with Oceania over one voyage does not entail that I "have some sort of problem" (e.g. being permanently angry).

Thank you for clearing up that point for me Myrtlewinston.

I was dissapointed on the cruise but the manner in which we are being treated now is creating a slighty stronger feeling.

There is not problem with asking questions.. there is no problem answering questions

The problem lies with once asked/answered you disagree with the poster it turns in to a slanging match.

If you want to know all the prices charged then go after the people that can change the way cruise lines charge/report to the passengers.

Get it legislated that they have to disclose each charge on a separate line on the invoice.

IMHO

For me I look at the bottom line.

Asking the cruise line to separate all the charges will not make any difference in the price of the cruise.

For those that want to know then ask "the powers that be" to force the cruise lines to disclose every charge.

Start with CLIA

http://www.cruising.org/Index.cfm

We recently rec'd a quote of $364 for these charges on the Oceania's June 26, 2009 cruise Barcelona to Istanbul. We received no response when asked, what are these charges for?!

We have numerous invoices from many different cruise lines, and, rarely is there a line for "Gov't taxes and other fees". Princess, Cunard and Crystal show no such item; Celebrity and Seabourn both show under $100 for their cruises. Oceania shows $364.

Fair to ask "what for"?

Just re-read the OP. Was your Oceania Cruise quote with "free air"? If so, only the actual air ticket prices are so-called "free"; Oceania adds air taxes and ticketing fees into the "government taxes and fees" category.l

The invoices or quotes that I receive from Princess and Cunard, which are generated by their booking engine called "POLAR" always have a line item for "Fees" (I get these every day).

I'm wondering if perhaps you're getting quotes from a travel agent who lumps all of the charges into the total cost of your cruise, rather than breaking them down.

In any event, some of us need to lighten up, for heaven's sake! JMHO.

FYI - this is what shows on our invoice so they do separate the air from the cruise - I'm guessing there's a lot of security and handling charges included. Looking at it now it does seem like a rather large number.

Other Charges:

Fuel Surcharges $168.00

Gvt fees, Taxes, Security and Handling Charges $624.00

Air Related: Taxes, Fuel Surcharges and Ticketing Fee $390.00

Just re-read the OP. Was your Oceania Cruise quote with "free air"? If so, only the actual air ticket prices are so-called "free"; Oceania adds air taxes and ticketing fees into the "government taxes and fees" category.l

The invoices or quotes that I receive from Princess and Cunard, which are generated by their booking engine called "POLAR" always have a line item for "Fees" (I get these every day).

I'm wondering if perhaps you're getting quotes from a travel agent who lumps all of the charges into the total cost of your cruise, rather than breaking them down.

In any event, some of us need to lighten up, for heaven's sake! JMHO.

Why not ask your travel agent.

As a TA, let me tell you that it's not disclosed to us either. When I, as an agent, book a cruise, there are actually 4 components in the breakdown:

1. Cruise Base Fare

2. NCFs, also called Non-Discountables by some cruise lines -- some passengers call these Port Charges, but, to the best of my knowledge, there's not a single cruise line that calls them that anymore

3. Government Taxes/Fees

4. Fuel Surcharge

The cruise lines do not, will not, and have not, disclosed the specific breakdown of what these charges are to us. We are not privy to the information as to what the charges are for. All we know is that we are not paid based on the amounts of NCFs, government taxes/fees, or the fuel surcharge. On most cruises, those amounts can add $100s of dollars. I sold one last night where the fees combined to be almost as much as the cruise base fare (granted, it was an inexpensive cruise).

When you, as a passenger, get a quote from a cruise line or travel agent, the industry standard is that quote it as a breakdown of 3 line items, not 4. I don't know why that is the industry standard, but it is. I don't have a problem breaking it down into the 4 components for a client; however, I could NEVER advertise a price that did not include the NCFs in the advertised price. Here's the breakdown that is given to the consumer:

1. Cruise Base Fare plus NCFs = One number, not broken apart

2. Government Taxes/Fees

3. Fuel Surcharge

Increasingly taxes/fees/fuel/NCFs make up larger and larger proportions of many cruise lines' prices. It's just a reality of cruise pricing.

All we know is that we are not paid based on the amounts of NCFs, government taxes/fees, or the fuel surcharge. On most cruises, those amounts can add $100s of dollars. .

I do not think the cruise line can discount GVT taxes, port taxes etc that is why they are not part of the commission only the base price of the cruise.

It has been that way as long as I can remember (at least 20 yrs);)

Lyn

As a TA, let me tell you that it's not disclosed to us either. When I, as an agent, book a cruise, there are actually 4 components in the breakdown:

1. Cruise Base Fare

2. NCFs, also called Non-Discountables by some cruise lines -- some passengers call these Port Charges, but, to the best of my knowledge, there's not a single cruise line that calls them that anymore

3. Government Taxes/Fees

4. Fuel Surcharge

The cruise lines do not, will not, and have not, disclosed the specific breakdown of what these charges are to us. We are not privy to the information as to what the charges are for. All we know is that we are not paid based on the amounts of NCFs, government taxes/fees, or the fuel surcharge. On most cruises, those amounts can add $100s of dollars. I sold one last night where the fees combined to be almost as much as the cruise base fare (granted, it was an inexpensive cruise).

When you, as a passenger, get a quote from a cruise line or travel agent, the industry standard is that quote it as a breakdown of 3 line items, not 4. I don't know why that is the industry standard, but it is. I don't have a problem breaking it down into the 4 components for a client; however, I could NEVER advertise a price that did not include the NCFs in the advertised price. Here's the breakdown that is given to the consumer:

1. Cruise Base Fare plus NCFs = One number, not broken apart

2. Government Taxes/Fees

3. Fuel Surcharge

Increasingly taxes/fees/fuel/NCFs make up larger and larger proportions of many cruise lines' prices. It's just a reality of cruise pricing.

Very well put and exactly right!

Hi Everyone !

I wanted to remind you, that you should keep your comments on topic. I noticed that many of the recent posts were personal and off topic. This is against our Guidelines.

As the question has been asked and answered, this thread is now closed.

Your cooperation is much appreciated. Thank You !

Archived