Handicapped Room

travellgirl

We had booked a guanteed sky suite on the Constellation. I just checked the website a while ago and they assigned us a handicapped room. I called the Captains Club because I was concerned about being assigned this room since we don't need it. I was told that at a certain time they release these rooms if they are not booked. The cruise is 5 weeks away.

Has this happened to anyone else? I know I'm going to feel as if everyone is looking as us thinking we don't need the room.

Is it a little bigger. I know the bathroom is since the shower needs to accomodate a wheelchair.

The representative said that if it turns out the room is needed they will contact us before sailing to change our room. I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for any information.

Most people view these as an upgrade. Although I have not had one myselt, I have seen in multiple other threads people state that they are significantly larger. I wouldn't feel guilty about it as they will move you to a different room if someone who truly needs a handicapped room requires it.

We had booked a guanteed sky suite on the Constellation. I just checked the website a while ago and they assigned us a handicapped room. I called the Captains Club because I was concerned about being assigned this room since we don't need it. I was told that at a certain time they release these rooms if they are not booked. The cruise is 5 weeks away.

Has this happened to anyone else? I know I'm going to feel as if everyone is looking as us thinking we don't need the room.

Is it a little bigger. I know the bathroom is since the shower needs to accomodate a wheelchair.

The representative said that if it turns out the room is needed they will contact us before sailing to change our room. I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for any information.

Is it still a suite....

Oh, yes, I know it's still a suite. I just felt that it is something we shouldn't have. But, as I said, if it's okay with them, I guess it should be okay with us. I just normally worry about what people think and will be worrying that others will think we took advantage purposely.

But, if they need it, they'll let us know.

My understanding is that the handicapped cabins on Celebrity are not that much larger than regular cabins. On RCCL they are really as large as two cabins.

But occasionally Celebrity (and Holland America too) replace some of the furniture to accommodate a handicapped person. As an example, HAL once wanted to give me a handicapped cabin. I found out they replaced a nice sofa with a chair and removed a table. I was not happy and had them give me a regular cabin. Bottom line, find out what they do (in addition to the bathroom) to make a cabin handicapped accessible.

Thanks. I did ask that and was told everything was the same and that there was a pullout couch also. But, as we all know, what they tell you on the phone and was it actually is can sometimes be two different things. But I'm sure it will be fine. And after all, it's a cruise on a great ship, so really, what could be bad???

Accessible rooms are about 11/2 times larger than a regular room. We are able to use the wheelchair in the room as well as the shower. We have a small couch in the room as well as a chair by the vanity but that's it.

I feel that the OP should not worry as the representative did say that they would move them if somebody needed the room.

My understanding is that the handicapped cabins on Celebrity are not that much larger than regular cabins. On RCCL they are really as large as two cabins.

But occasionally Celebrity (and Holland America too) replace some of the furniture to accommodate a handicapped person. As an example, HAL once wanted to give me a handicapped cabin. I found out they replaced a nice sofa with a chair and removed a table. I was not happy and had them give me a regular cabin. Bottom line, find out what they do (in addition to the bathroom) to make a cabin handicapped accessible.

Our Accessible cabin on Mille is about 1 1/2 times as large as a reg cabin. Total Sq ' nearly 300...balconies depend upon where on the ship you are. From what the photos show they are about same size as a Sky Suite, at least or larger.I realize that other ships (non M class) might be different. The Bow cabins with no balcony are quite large. The do have some drawbacks...it's said the shower ...being accessible, has no rim and the floor gets wet, and ours will have only a loveseat. We're awaiting our trip with excitement (to top it off it's an aft cabin!):) Look at the pics on the Gocities site

The major differences you will encounter are in the bathroom. It's a higher toilet with grab bars and the shower is a roll in shower with a curtain. For those who are not disabled, many find that shower to be bothersome. And if you're short, and have short legs, the raised toilet can be uncomfortable if you're not quick doing your business.

Being disabled, I have no problem with Celebrity releasing those cabins after final payment. What I do have a problem with is when they allow non-disabled persons to book those cabins without the need for one. I know a few people like the larger cabins and they do book them months in advance because they want more space, not because they need that type of cabin. And once those cabins are booked, they are removed from inventory, so if a disabled person needs an HC cabin, they just come up as totally booked.

travellgirl, thank you for being so nice about being given that cabin. Most would not even care to ask if it's the right thing to accept.

I had this happen on Princess. I was told the same thing by the rep that they would move me should the need arise. When you get onboard you can also go to Passenger services and explain that if they need this room, that you would be happy to switch.

Archived