Embarkation Tips (w/ Toddler) on NCL Spirit

carasita

The embarkation makes me the most nervous with my 15 month old. I've read several reviews of the ship and it looks like the average for most people providing a review is 2 hours from the time they get out of the taxi to their room. Wrestling a toddler in a line for 2 hours sounds like a pure nightmare.

Does anyone have any NCL experience or tips?

Thank you!

We've cruised NCL twice with the kids, and have had a 50/50 experience with them. On the NCL Star (Alaska), the entire boarding process was delayed, so all paasengers had to wait 2 hours before boarding would even begin. To pass the time, we left the port and wandered around the Seattle port area. Not exactly fun especially since we were lugging our carry-ons around!

On the NCL Gem in July, boarding was quick and painless.

That being said, we have been on other cruises on other lines where boarding has been fast----and slow. The best advice I can give you is to be sure to pack things in your carry-on that your toddler will enjoy playing with while in line, in the event you have to wait. Also take juice/sippy cup and a small snack (cereal or raisins). If you can, try to leave him/her in their stroller, and maybe if you're lucky, they'll fall asleep...?

Good luck!

CeleBrat

Usually I would recommend getting to the ship early, but in your case, you may want to wait until the middle of the boarding day--that way, at least (if there's a line) it will be moving!

I wouldn't worry too much. Bring a book and read to your child. Snacks are also a good idea. And practice with your child--go places where they'll have to exercise a bit of patience, and reward him/her when they do!!!!

No experience directly with NCL but, assuming a 4 pm departure time, my suggestion would be to board after noon - after 1pm if you can swing that. By that time, everyone is probably already on board and the lines will be fast.

Also, consider getting a leash ($10 at wal mart) and getting the little one used to it prior to embarkation. That way your little one can wander with limits, and not feel so cooped up.

People think the leash is cute. We always got "there's a monkey on his back" comments.

Archived