Glory Passenger drowns while Cave Tubing in Belize

CruiseCentric

I am so sorry to hear it actually happened. I have said over and over right here on these boards, it nearly happened to me. PLEASE don't go cave tubing in belieze. I am a very strong swimmer. I was slammed into the wall on a curve, the tube capsized and people began running me over, pushing me under the water each time. The other people couldn't help it, the water was to swift for them to control themselves. Finally, I came up just as another tube went over me, and I grabbed onto it. the man on the tube grabbed my arm and we both continued on. The "guide" just went by and said "are you OK?" I said "no, i'm not" and he just kept going. We finally got to a shallow part so I could stand up again.

There were a lot of people there that day. These were normal conditions. I have no problem someone died doing this activity.

I am wondering what company this was and if it was a Carnival excursion.

TicTac2 has a thread with a letter from Carnival. It definitely appears to be a Carnival excursion. The letter states they have suspended the tour pending investigation. It also asks passengers with information to go to the Purser's desk.

Makes my heart hurt to think of the pain and the sorrow this family is going through right now.

I am also interested in finding that info out (who the tour operator was) as we were looking into doing this excursion next Dec. After posting, I saw from another thread that it seemed to be a Carnival excursion. Interesting, as I had heard they were "overly cautious", and canceled this excursion at the drop of a hat if conditions weren't perfect. My thoughts and prayers to that family on their horrible loss.

Wow, 2 weeks ago we were in Belize on the Western from the Glory and went cave tubing, not the ship excursion. I thought the river was too low and the guides did more pulling then we actually went with the current. Now I'm thinking it was better that way. The guides we had kept us far away from the sides of the cave and at no time did I feel I was in danger. This is a horrible thing to have happened at anytime, especially while on vacation.

We took this same tour thru cavetubing.com and at no time felt in danger with these operators. We were linked together and they propelled us thru the water making sure that we were safe and secure at all times. Each group that was linked had a guide that made sure everyone was accounted for.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this time. :o(

Wow, 2 weeks ago we were in Belize on the Western from the Glory and went cave tubing, not the ship excursion. I thought the river was too low and the guides did more pulling then we actually went with the current. Now I'm thinking it was better that way. The guides we had kept us far away from the sides of the cave and at no time did I feel I was in danger. This is a horrible thing to have happened at anytime, especially while on vacation.

These are the conditions I have always heard them to be. So low you have to pick up your butt in places. I personally would not want to go if it was high or the waters were "raging". It won't keep me from going when we go to Belize as accidents happen anywhere. However, I may check the amount of rain they get the week before. If any tours are cancelled, common sense would say, cancel them all.

My heart goes out to the family during this time.

Sorry to hear about the accident. My family did this tour with a private operator last February and felt safe. The one question I would have is was the person wearing their lifejacket? I know on our tour, and other tours that I saw when I went, many people were just holding their lifejackets.

These are the conditions I have always heard them to be. So low you have to pick up your butt in places. I personally would not want to go if it was high or the waters were "raging". It won't keep me from going when we go to Belize as accidents happen anywhere. However, I may check the amount of rain they get the week before. If any tours are cancelled, common sense would say, cancel them all.

I just posted over on the other thread with the letter, but I'll put my two cents in here, too. The day we went, the water was also so low you had to pick your butt up in spots. But we were also told to be very cautious and use your life jacket if you were not a swimmer since the water in the caves was 90 feet deep in spots.

We took an independent tour that was great and very concerned for our safety, but DH and I saw the Carnival tour at several spots during the trip and were horrifed at the poor safety procedures, people stuck & yelling for help inside the caves with no guides around, etc. I've posted quite a few times on cave tubing threads and over on the Belize board in the past about how unsafe I felt the Carnival tours looked to us. :mad: I realize accidents happen, but I am completely not shocked that it was the Carnival ship tour after what I saw.:(

How sad for the family - condolences to them for their loss.

We used .com for this excursion several years ago and felt totally safe. Our guides were right there with us at all times. We all commented on the Carnival groups as to how large they were with so few guides. Heartfelt condolences go out to this family. How tragic....

We went with Major Tom (cave-tubing dot net (not com)) in May. We had a great time, except the water WAS very low in many places. And the caves were packed due to cave tubing dot com as well as Carnival's excursion all being there at the same time.

Both Major Tom's group and dot com had people linked together and had guides with groups of no more than 8. The Carnival bunch were just floating along. Our chain was slammed into and those of us in the back were twisted around at one point, with my ankle stuck sideways, trapped under my DD.

These people were clueless. The made absolutely no effort to keep from ramming us. Difficult to avoid, I know, but you still have arms and can push yourself away from other tubes. I don't remember if they all had preservers on or not. I know WE all did!

But, yes, when the water was deep, there was a strong current and you had to be very careful and pay attention as to where it was taking you. When it took you toward the cave walls, you had to be reading to push yourself away, which was tricky at times.

Once we were out of the caves, where you free float unlinked, we were told to be sure to face foward all the time.

There was a woman in front of me, who was floating along backwards, and was heading right toward a downed tree, that had a large branch pointed right toward her. I started yelling at her to pay attention and turn around and she just looked at me like I was crazy. At the last minute, one of OUR guides ran over and grabbed her, turning her and pulling her out of the way just seconds before she would've been carried right into that tree limb - which was right at head height.

But of course, had she been impaled by that thing, it would've been Carnival's fault I suppose. :rolleyes:

Accidents happen, unfortunately. My sympathies to her family and friends.

When I return to Belize in Dec 2009, I plan on cave tubing again with Major Tom.

well this was an interesting thread. I am planning on going cave tubing in Belize when we go on our first family cruise in April. I was second guessing myself about going thru Major Tom and not Carnival because I had the kids with me. Now I have my mind made up that it will NOT be with a Carnival excursion. I feel so bad for the family of the people that died. What a horrible thing to have happen.

Of course this is just a guess...but I am thinking it would have been a Carnival excursion....because the major independents (Yhony (.com) and Major Tom (.net) and a couple of others, always have their floaters linked.

There is no one just out there floating around on their own.

It is the one distinguish factor between the Carnival tour and the major independent tours. (and one of the reasons I always suggest an independent tour).

The odd thing is that Carnival is usually the first ones to pull their tours during high water. I have read several posts over the years about folks saying that Carnival cancelled the tour because of high water and so they rebooked with an independent at the pier....and had a great time.

Hubby and oldest son went with cave-tubing.com in May and had a blast.

But that is the dry season and the guides literally had to pull them through the caves. Carnival excursion folks were trying to "latch on" because they were tired to paddling themselves through.

Our hearts go out to the family involved.

Personally, I don't think this incident is any cause for people to cancel all their excursions. There isn't enough information available to make any decisions.

I live in the "Land of 10,000 Lakes". People drown here every year. However, no one jumps up to sound the alarm for everyone to quit swimming, boating, water skiing, etc. Accidents happen. Tragic yes, but still an accident.

The sky is not falling.

We did this tour with major tom in late Aug

There was nothing unsafe about it. They mage us wear our life jackets

And were all linked together in groups of 8 with every group a guide.

Major tom was great giving us the history of the shamans who used the caves.

While this is a very sad this that happened. It should'nt keep people from going. My question is did she have a life jacket on. We were not given a choise on this .

Leigh

When we went (cavetubing.com) we had the 'butts-up' most of the time too. (November)

I will say that in the area where you get out of the tube, the waters were running pretty swiftly and some people had a difficult time getting out of their tubes and these people were causing injury to others.

Although I would recommend this excursion I would also say that if you are not sure of your physical capabilities, you definitely need to skip it.

My heart also goes out to the family of this person. I am disheartened that if the waters were that rough, that the company continued on with the excursion anyway.

Archived