HAL deposit amount policy

NelleS

Does anyone know how HAL determines its deposit amount? I'm pricing a 21-day Hawaiian cruise, which is about the same $ as a 15-day Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity. Yet the HAL deposit is almost 2x what Celebrity is looking for!:eek:

I tried looking at HAL's website for information, but was unsuccessful. My TA says it's because of the length of the cruise.

Thanks,

Ellen

Does anyone know how HAL determines its deposit amount? I'm pricing a 21-day Hawaiian cruise, which is about the same $ as a 15-day Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity. Yet the HAL deposit is almost 2x what Celebrity is looking for!:eek:

I tried looking at HAL's website for information, but was unsuccessful. My TA says it's because of the length of the cruise.

Thanks,

Ellen

For the 10 day we booked the deposit would have been $600pp... but we booked when they had a special and only had to pay $200pp deposit.

HAL's standard booking deposits (excluding reduced depsoit promotions) have always been higher than the other mainstream lines - and in some cases higher than the luxury lines as well. I am assuming that HAL's philosophy might be that higher initial investment on the consumers part lead to fewer arbitrary cancellations - just a guess

I don't know the policy either, but I know it's based on the total cost of the cruise, not just the length, so a longer cruise in an inside cabin could require as much deposit as a suite on a shorter cruise.

We paid

$600 pp for a 14-day DD cabin on the Statendam Alaska Cruise-Tour

$600 pp for a 14-day DD cabin on the Amsterdam through the Panama Canal

$600 pp for a 10-day VA cabin on the Westerdam in the Baltic

$750 pp for a 10-day VA cabin on the Noordam in the Mediterranean

$350 pp for a 7-day VA cabin on the Zuiderdam in the Caribbean

$250 pp for a 3-day HH cabin on the Eurodam to Bahamas

I do not believe the deposit amount is based on cruise cost, nor on cabin category. The amount is set based on cruise length and, possibly, on destination. For instance, I noticed a deposit of $850 for a Sea of Cortez 15-day in 2009 on the Ryndam ... whereas deposits for all the other Carib/Mex inineraries of 14 days or less in that same brochure range from $250 to $600. In those cases, the shorter the sail, the less the deposit ... $250, $350, or $600 per person.

I do not believe the deposit amount is based on cruise cost, nor on cabin category. The amount is set based on cruise length and, possibly, on destination. For instance, I noticed a deposit of $850 for a Sea of Cortez 15-day in 2009 on the Ryndam ... whereas deposits for all the other Carib/Mex inineraries of 14 days or less in that same brochure range from $250 to $600. In those cases, the shorter the sail, the less the deposit ... $250, $350, or $600 per person.
Okay, you're right - it doesn't depend on cabin class, just on length. Looking at the only 2009 brochure that I have (Europe) I found these deposit requirements:

7 or 8 days $350 pp

10 to 14 days $600 pp

15 to 24 days $850 pp

(I didn't find any for 25 days)

26 to 36 days $1750 pp

47 or 50 days $2500 pp 1st, $5000 pp 2nd

Archived