Jacksonville Info Only

jwjax

JWJAX,

DW and I have a 1:00pm flight out of JAX. We should be ok to make that, shouldn't we?? And from what I read, taxi is the best way to get to the airport. Is that correct?

You should be just fine with a 1:00pm flight.......and yes a taxi is probably your best bet, unless you can pre-arrangement something with one of the airport shuttle located around the airport.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

You should be just fine with a 1:00pm flight.......and yes a taxi is probably your best bet, unless you can pre-arrangement something with one of the airport shuttle located around the airport.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

Thanks GTO!! We are looking forward to it...it will be our 1st "kidless" cruise!!! Would you recommend any of the airport shuttle companies?

Edited by Hooked On Cruising 4ever

Thanks GTO!! We are looking forward to it...it will be our 1st "kidless" cruise!!! Would you recommend any of the airport shuttle companies?

We have only used a shuttle once, because we started parking at the port (we drive down).

I'm sorry I am horrible with names and for the life of me I cannot remember.

Hopefully someone who is local will chime in.........:o

Edited by GTO-Girl

• 7 months later...

Good Morning, First time cruising out of Jacksonville. We are flying in and out. Looking to stay w a shuttle and maybe free breakfast if possible?

I did see the list on the previous page (TY) but can anyone tell me who has a free breakfast included w cruise package? 3 of us, so I know that makes a difference. Also earliest shuttle info? We are Plat so like to be there early..

Thanks so much! :)

Good Morning, First time cruising out of Jacksonville. We are flying in and out. Looking to stay w a shuttle and maybe free breakfast if possible?

I did see the list on the previous page (TY) but can anyone tell me who has a free breakfast included w cruise package? 3 of us, so I know that makes a difference. Also earliest shuttle info? We are Plat so like to be there early..

Thanks so much! :)

As for the Breakfast included, I can't help you, but Kroozfoolz should be able to. Watch for her post. The list of hotels on the prev. page has links and they should list the services provided, including BF and Shuttles.

Earliest shuttle, don't try to go to the port before 10:30am (sometimes 11:00am) The guards will either park you or turn you around for a while.:)

Try to arrive between 10:30 and 11:00am, most times, you can get right in. Boarding won't start until 11:30am or maybe sometimes a bit earlier or later?:confused:

The list I posted on the previous page was compiled almost two years ago. The last time we sailed from Jax was May 2013 and I haven't done any further research on park and cruise packages from Jax. The list does give you some place to start in your search.

The last two times we cruised on Fascination, we stayed at the Jacksonville Plaza Inn and Suites, using the park and cruise package. Breakfast was included. The rates shown online are for two people. I believe there is an additional charge if you have more people.

If you have a favorite hotel/motel chain, I would suggest seeing if they have a property near the airport, and then check with the hotel directly to inquire re packages for cruisers who fly in that include shuttles and breakfast, and rates for three people, as well as shuttle times to the ship. It is always a good idea to check the latest property reviews on tripadvisor.

Edited by KroozFoolz

The list I posted on the previous page was compiled almost two years ago. The last time we sailed from Jax was May 2013 and I haven't done any further research on park and cruise packages from Jax. The list does give you some place to start in your search.

The last two times we cruised on Fascination, we stayed at the Jacksonville Plaza Inn and Suites, using the park and cruise package. Breakfast was included. The rates shown online are for two people. I believe there is an additional charge if you have more people.

If you have a favorite hotel/motel chain, I would suggest seeing if they have a property near the airport, and then check with the hotel directly to inquire re packages for cruisers who fly in that include shuttles and breakfast, and rates for three people, as well as shuttle times to the ship. It is always a good idea to check the latest property reviews on tripadvisor.

Wow? almost 2 years since you two were on the Fascination? Ok, time for you guys to catch our Dec cruise crowd! Each Dec, CCL has some of the best rates on the Fascination. This year not so much so far??:confused: We have had several DEC cruises with a core group of people, most are here on CC.

Take Care......W & C

• 4 weeks later...

We just got off the Fascination on Saturday and I can't say enough great things about the Hampton Suites - Airport. They were really good to us.

On the other hand, I can't say anything nice about VIP Parking. Incredibly rude employees. We arrived at their lot at 10:40 and were told we couldn't stay. That we'd have to come back and get in some line after 11am because they were busy. Not a single soul but us in the lot at the time, but ....hey.....they were busy. The woman at the lot was just downright mean about getting rid of us. So we left, and parked at the cruise port. Much easier experience. Nicer people too.

We just got off the Fascination on Saturday and I can't say enough great things about the Hampton Suites - Airport. They were really good to us.

On the other hand, I can't say anything nice about VIP Parking. Incredibly rude employees. We arrived at their lot at 10:40 and were told we couldn't stay. That we'd have to come back and get in some line after 11am because they were busy. Not a single soul but us in the lot at the time, but ....hey.....they were busy. The woman at the lot was just downright mean about getting rid of us. So we left, and parked at the cruise port. Much easier experience. Nicer people too.

I have read multiple complaints about VIP lately......based on these facts I wouldn't use them anymore either.....:o

Even though we drive in we love to stay at the Hampton Inn at the airport. Nice and clean and within walking distance to three restaurants.

Good Morning, I haven't booked a hotel yet since I am still trying to figure out this whole cruise package/shuttle thing to the port.

Can someone please tell me what a taxi costs approx from the Hilton Garden or Aloft maybe?

Why is it so expensive for these cruise packages? I have cruised out of so many ports and this one seems to be the most confusing for me.. lol short ride though. haha

Good Morning, I haven't booked a hotel yet since I am still trying to figure out this whole cruise package/shuttle thing to the port.

Can someone please tell me what a taxi costs approx from the Hilton Garden or Aloft maybe?

Why is it so expensive for these cruise packages? I have cruised out of so many ports and this one seems to be the most confusing for me.. lol short ride though. haha

Taxi rates have increased a LOT lately!. We used to pay under $20 from the airport to our home, which is about the same distance as going to the port. The last time we took a taxi to the port and back, each way was almost $30... or maybe $30 plus tips. So based on that, I would say that the rates from the airport area hotels are going to be at least $30, maybe more each way.

Just keep in mind, do not head to the Jaxport before 10:30am, or you will be turned away until then, or sometimes even 11am. If you are in a taxi......$$$$$$ big bucks for waiting...:)

Edited by jwjax

Thank you so much for the info.

What time do they start boarding the Fascination? :)

Most times, the boarding starts around 11:30am, for the priority group. Diamond/Platinum/FFTF etc.. After that they usually begin boarding by zones, depending on when you checked in.

And we cant get out and stand there? Crazy how every port is different..

No, the security guards, will not let any vehicles other than passenger pickups, to enter the port. They check ID's and cruise docs before you can enter the port. Sometimes, it is 10:30am , and sometimes 11:00am, but either way, if you are in a taxi, the driver should know the routine unless he/she are very new to the port.

Each port is always a bit different. We once didn't board out of San Juan until almost 7pm, because of Customs issues, so you never know for sure, but most times, each port is consistent.

• 1 year later...

Are you able to drive around and drop passengers/luggage off before you park? I'm assuming there are porters to take baggage in front of the terminal? Or should be just go park and roll the bags to the terminal to handoff to porters?

I have a wife who is OCD so she wants all the specific details before we show up to the terminal. :confused:

Are you able to drive around and drop passengers/luggage off before you park? I'm assuming there are porters to take baggage in front of the terminal? Or should be just go park and roll the bags to the terminal to hand off to porters?

Yes, but since the port parking lot offers porters and golf cart service, and is only a short distance to the check in entrance, I would opt for parking first in the port lot. :)

I have a wife who is OCD so she wants all the specific details before we show up to the terminal.

Just don't show up before 10:30am. JaxPort doesn't usually allow anyone to enter until then. Even then, sometimes the delay is longer due to fog/tides/late arrival/customs etc.... I would call the port first if you need to arrive before 10:30am. (904) 357-3006 Jaxport.com/cruise:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello...I am sure a lot of what I am asking is already on this post but most of it seems like it is older. We are staying at a hotel near the airport and cruising out the next day (which happens to be Thanksgiving Day). We need transportation from the hotel to the port and are considering Uber or Lyft or a taxi. From the research I have done, there does not seem to be a shuttle. Does anyone have advice on our best options, especially on Thanksgiving Day?

Does Carnival not provide a shuttle option from the airport?

Also, when we return on Sunday we do not fly out till evening and need to figure out how to spend the day. Should we consider renting a car or just grab a car to some hotel on the beach where we can store our luggage and use the facilities (pay a day use fee). Any idea if there is such a thing in Jacksonville and if the beaches in Nov are worth visiting?

Any help at all will be appreciated!

Taxi or Uber will be your best bet. Check Taxis first. There is some dispute going on in Jacksonville at the moment regarding Uber vs the cab drivers union. I saw some news item last week when there with a sentiment that a settlement may be in the offing. No shuttles to port unless your hotel wishes to provide.

No hotels along beaches in JAX area anywhere near the cruise port, which is on the St John's River, BTW. So you're best bet is to use Carnival's Luggage Express if available on your ship. Get's your luggage directly from ship to airport and you don't have to even carry it off or pick it up at the dock. But you'll have to return to the airport to rent a car. Unless there's a football game downtown, Jacksonville is very quiet on Sundays.

Also, when we return on Sunday we do not fly out till evening and need to figure out how to spend the day. Should we consider renting a car or just grab a car to some hotel on the beach where we can store our luggage and use the facilities (pay a day use fee). Any idea if there is such a thing in Jacksonville and if the beaches in Nov are worth visiting?

Any help at all will be appreciated!

Are you certain you return on Sunday? I believe Fascination's cruises that leave on Thursdays return on Monday.