Jacksonville Info Only

jwjax

We are looking to rent a car the day before our cruise. We are thinking about going to the zoo. Heard a lot about it. How long should we plan on being at the zoo? Wife likes to shop also so thought about going to the boardwalk shops downtown. What is traffic like downtown on a Friday when we arrive? We figured we would get a car which is $50 instead of getting a cab to port and zoo and shopping. They will take us to port when we drop car off.

Hi,:) what boardwalk shops dowtown? I agree with SAA, there is the

Jacksonville Landing but the stores there seem to come and go.

There is a brand new shopping center up by the airport with

quite a few stores. She could shop there.

The zoo is nice and there is also the Anheiser Busch Brewery.

Any idea what a 15 mi cab ride would cost me from the port to Ponte Vedra?

Hi,:) it will take you longer than 15 minutes from Ponte Vedra

to the Port.

Or did you mean 15 miles? Well, most cab companies have 1.85 fee to start

and then about 1.25 per mile after that.....

Edited by Lois R

Hi,:) it will take you longer than 15 minutes from Ponte Vedra

to the Port.

Or did you mean 15 miles? Well, most cab companies have 1.85 fee to start

and then about 1.25 per mile after that.....

I meant 15 mi. So it would be cheaper to park there, get a free ride, then catch a cab back to PV post cruise?

Hi,:) I like your first option. Have them drop you off and catch

the cab home. (unless you want your own vehicle).

Edited by Lois R

How far is it from the port to the airport? I'm considering a cruise but the last flight out for me is at 9:35 am and the ship docks at 8 am - (I know they can get in early - or late for that matter) so I was trying to decide if it was worth checking out - I have not interest in staying an extra day since I have to fly in a day before.

How far is it from the port to the airport? I'm considering a cruise but the last flight out for me is at 9:35 am and the ship docks at 8 am - (I know they can get in early - or late for that matter) so I was trying to decide if it was worth checking out - I have not interest in staying an extra day since I have to fly in a day before.

They are about 13 miles apart.

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. I was having trouble finding info about Jacksonville and the Fascination. We are flying into Jacksonville a day early, cruising out on Oct. 3. I doubt we'll get a car, so found a hotel that has a free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port. Restaurants within walking distance. Since Mom doesn't walk long distances well, we'll just chill and relax pre-cruise. I called the HIE, Blount Island, was hoping to get a room where we could see the ship come in that morning, but that was not something that was a option with this port. I hope they don't keep us too long at muster, so we can make it up top for going under the bridge, if that hasn't changed. Loved that video. LOL

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. I was having trouble finding info about Jacksonville and the Fascination.

Glad you found it! There is another thread, All things Fascination that has a lot of info as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=826275

We are flying into Jacksonville a day early, cruising out on Oct. 3. I doubt we'll get a car, so found a hotel that has a free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port. Restaurants within walking distance. Since Mom doesn't walk long distances well, we'll just chill and relax pre-cruise.

Which hotel did you end up booking that had both shuttles, airport and port?

I called the HIE, Blount Island, was hoping to get a room where we could see the ship come in that morning, but that was not something that was a option with this port.

No way to see the ship coming in, unless you have a car and drive along the river on Hecksher drive. The HIE is close, but you can't see the river from there.

I hope they don't keep us too long at muster, so we can make it up top for going under the bridge, if that hasn't changed. Loved that video. LOL

We had a long muster, but others have reported very short ones. I am not sure why they vary? We also left late, so it was getting dark as we went under the bridge.

Yes, Kroozfoolz took that video, and we were standing right beside them, and didn't even know they were taping it.;)

jw:cool:

Which hotel did you end up booking that had both shuttles, airport and port?

We ended up booking the La Quinta Inn. I've stayed with them, not that particular one, but that chain, and they are usually comfortable and clean. They have a good breakfast. They are usually not fancy, but then I'm just a country bumpkin, myself. So, I'm quite comfortable. Here's a link.

http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ637&propId=637&WT.mc_id=EMCFNAME

They are about 13 miles apart.

Hi Lois, I'm sailing out of JAX in May. I sailed from there before when the Celebration was there.

I'm probably going to stay at the HI near the airport. I've stayed there before and really liked it. I also thought about staying downtown on the river but wasn't sure?

I'm coming in 2 days before, any suggestions for a solo to do for sightseeing in Jax? I will have a car. thanks for your help. :)

Edited by Brneyznfl

Hi Lois, I'm sailing out of JAX in May. I sailed from there before when the Celebration was there.

I'm probably going to stay at the HI near the airport. I've stayed there before and really liked it. I also thought about staying downtown on the river but wasn't sure?

I'm coming in 2 days before, any suggestions for a solo to do for sightseeing in Jax? I will have a car. thanks for your help. :)

Hello:)..I have known you for a long time but don't know your name!

How about this...would you like to meet after all these years?

We could do dinner, I could show you around?

How does that sound? I think we have both been chatting

for a long time although I believe you normally sail Princess?

I sail Celebrity but we both love cruising:D

Let me know your thoughts:) Just an FYI, I recently

met another gal who sailed from here (early last month)

and we had a nice visit too.

You might even know her name from the solo forum...her

screen name is Roz.

Hello:)..I have known you for a long time but don't know your name!

How about this...would you like to meet after all these years?

We could do dinner, I could show you around?

How does that sound? I think we have both been chatting

for a long time although I believe you normally sail Princess?

I sail Celebrity but we both love cruising:D

Let me know your thoughts:) Just an FYI, I recently

met another gal who sailed from here (early last month)

and we had a nice visit too.

You might even know her name from the solo forum...her

screen name is Roz.

Hi Lois, I'd love to meet up! Send me an email at my screen name here using at aol dot com.

I just got back from Jacksonville last week. We stayed pre-cruise one night at the Hampton Inn on Airport Court Road. Our stay was excellent--great choice for a hotel! We walked in the parking lot to eat dinner that evening at Ruby Tuesday (and there was a Longhorn Steakhouse there and a couple other places to eat). They shuttled us to a shopping area a couple of miles away which was great, then we called them and they came and picked us up! They were very nice and were very helpful. We were shuttled to the port the next morning around 11:30, then when we returned after our cruise, we were picked up and taken to the airport. This was included with our price that we paid for the night. The place was extremely clean and the breakfast before we left for the cruise was awesome--very nice spread of breakfast items! If anyone has any questions, I can be reached at daiquiri100@aol.com.

This a great thread for JAX info. I am cruising on March 21 along with my mom, my 2 dd 16 and 3 and oldest dd best friend. We are driving from NW Indiana and are leaving the morning of 3/20 (have to pull the oldest kids from school after their first class). We have decided to rent a minivan due to an awesome one way rental rates ($140 roundtrip) I found using AWD code A074800 (found it on flyertalk - it's a Citi Leisure Corp number - hope I don't run into any trouble using it, but if I do, we will just take our 4 Runner). We are picking it up close to our home and dropping it at the Avis on Atlantic BLVD. I called the Avis on Atlantic this morning and the agent told me that they are the closest to the Port and do offer a courtesy shuttle to the port. So I figure the car rental is really only costing us $65 extra since we won't have to pay $75 to park. For $65 we will have more room and I won't be putting 2000 plus miles on my own vehicle. I think we are going to drive about 12 hours on Friday, stay in Macon, GA and then we will have about 4 hours to go to get to Jacksonville the morning of the cruise.

Hi,

My sister and I are taking a girls cruise on the Fascination March 21st. I posted this question somewhere else but no one has answered it yet so if anyone can offer advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Our departing flight from JAX was scheduled for 12:44 p.m. but the airline contacted me and told me they moved it up to 10:20 a.m. Will this give us enough time to get off the ship and get to the airport? Otherwise the next flight doesn't leave until about 3:30 and that puts us home in Missouri late.

Thanks!

Hi,

My sister and I are taking a girls cruise on the Fascination March 21st. I posted this question somewhere else but no one has answered it yet so if anyone can offer advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Our departing flight from JAX was scheduled for 12:44 p.m. but the airline contacted me and told me they moved it up to 10:20 a.m. Will this give us enough time to get off the ship and get to the airport? Otherwise the next flight doesn't leave until about 3:30 and that puts us home in Missouri late.

Thanks!

10:20 is cutting it pretty close. We didn't get off the ship until 9:45 when we went in Nov. If you do self debark then you should not have a problem, as long as there are no delays with customs.

If you are not going to do self debark, then you need to let them know at the purser's desk that you flight was changed and you need to be among the first to debark when they begin the process by zones, 1-17.

This a great thread for JAX info. I am cruising on March 21 along with my mom, my 2 dd 16 and 3 and oldest dd best friend. We are driving from NW Indiana and are leaving the morning of 3/20 (have to pull the oldest kids from school after their first class). We have decided to rent a minivan due to an awesome one way rental rates ($140 roundtrip) I found using AWD code A074800 (found it on flyertalk - it's a Citi Leisure Corp number - hope I don't run into any trouble using it, but if I do, we will just take our 4 Runner). We are picking it up close to our home and dropping it at the Avis on Atlantic BLVD. I called the Avis on Atlantic this morning and the agent told me that they are the closest to the Port and do offer a courtesy shuttle to the port. So I figure the car rental is really only costing us $65 extra since we won't have to pay $75 to park. For $65 we will have more room and I won't be putting 2000 plus miles on my own vehicle. I think we are going to drive about 12 hours on Friday, stay in Macon, GA and then we will have about 4 hours to go to get to Jacksonville the morning of the cruise.

I wasn't able to edit so I want to update anyone who read this. I called Avis to ask about mileage, the website when I booked said mileage included but when I got my confirmation email there was no mention of mileage included, well it isn't so back to square one. I think we may end up flying now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.

My GF and I are flying into Jacksonville on Sunday the 29th and boarding the Fascination on the 30th. We're looking for a nice hotel with continental breakfast and shuttle to the port that will be near some fun things to do on Sunday night. We're not really in for going out or anything, just a nice walk along a nice waterway or something and also a close walk to dinner would be great.

If anyone could help that would be awesome. Also, we're probably looking for a place thats maybe $100 or less.

Thanks for your help!

Hey guys.

My GF and I are flying into Jacksonville on Sunday the 29th and boarding the Fascination on the 30th. We're looking for a nice hotel with continental breakfast and shuttle to the port that will be near some fun things to do on Sunday night. We're not really in for going out or anything, just a nice walk along a nice waterway or something and also a close walk to dinner would be great.

If anyone could help that would be awesome. Also, we're probably looking for a place thats maybe $100 or less.

Thanks for your help!

Actually our budget is likely around 120 or so. I did look around the Riverwalk but hotels look to be around 160+ with exception to 1 that looks rather on the dirty side.

We don't have to be on the Riverwalk, but near a nice beach, or a nice water area would be nice.

Thanks.

Edited by FSU3NOLES28

Hi,:) your question poses a bit of a predicament.

The hotels near the Riverwalk? Yes the St Johns is right there.

The beaches also have the water.;)

Both locations are a bit far from the port.

Well, downtown is closer than the beach. There is a rennovated

hotel right on the River which is a Wyndam. Not sure how much

that one is but guessing its less than the Omni or Hyatt.

They recently changed the Hilton to a Crown Plaza and that is on

the river too.

As for the beach, there are quite a few hotels/motels out there.

The most reasonably priced hotels near the port would be

located at the airport. And those are the ones that have more

shuttle services too.

Here is a link for some information:

http://www.visitjacksonville.com/

Click on Visitors and lots of items come up.

Hope this helps.:)

Edited by Lois R

• 1 month later...
Last night on Hotwire I won the "Staybridge Suites by Holiday Inn." It is 6 miles from the port, located in SE Jacksonville.

Amenities:

Suites

complimentary breakfast

fitness center

pool(s)

business center

laundry

Internet access

spa

$47 a night plus tax/fees.

This is a brand new hotel. Each room is a suite w/full kitchen, flat screen TV, granite counters. Looks like there are several restaurants along with a Publix nearby.

Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone is interested.

Just checking to see if this was a good place and if it was six miles or twelve which is mentioned later in this thread.