Losing weight & alterations

RedStilettos

Hi there,

I am currently losing weight *(go me!), but am running into some issues.

I have purchased a couple of pairs of shorts that are a tad tight now, but we are cruising in one month so I think they will be okay by that time. While I don't mind the tshirts being a tad baggy, I hate baggy shorts and pants. All of my current shorts are at least one size too big.

I am a mediocre sewer, pretty much hemming pants and making halloween costumes.

Any suggestions on where to go for some great tips on altering and taking in shorts and pants?

With living in a colder climate all of our summer stuff is already on clearance and 'gone'.

countdown.pl?name=&date=10-24-2008&image=Beach-8&text=It

There are a lot of books out there on alterations. I would probably go to the library and check a few of them out before spending any money on one.

I have taken in the waist on pants/shorts before. This was years ago when things had a higher waist (that lovely "mom jeans" look). I would take off the waistband, put in some darts at the back, then put the waist band back on. It wasn't a huge task, but took patience.

Depending on your skill level, and the time you have available, you may want to buy a couple of pairs of shorts from the online clearance racks.

Good luck with your project! Let us know how it goes ... and keep getting smaller :)

Congratulations on the weight loss!

You may find that paying for alterations will cost as much, or in the long run, more than buying a couple new pair of shorts.

If it were me, I'd treat myself to two new pair of shorts and a couple of tops that fit. Show off your weight loss...if you wear baggy clothing it will make you look sloppy. If you continue your weight loss, you may not be able to wear the new stuff for long, but you will look so much better in the mean time. I'm not saying go out and buy a new wardrobe, just a couple things.

Celebrate your self and your hard work :)

I personally have found that doing alterations on your own is a lot of work and you may or may not be happy with the end result. For the waistband, in the center back, if there is a seam, it is fairly easy to take in at that point. however, if there is no center seam in the waistband, it might involve taking off the band, etc. etc.

Easier solutions: get a tailor or seamstress to take a look

or if the outfit (slacks etc) wasn't that expensive to start with, donate it and buy a smaller size pant to set off your 'new slimmer figure'

I have bought things that I planned to alter, started the job with pinning etc, and the end result was: donated to charity!!

I have been altering all my clothes for the last year. I'm losing weight slowly, so I alter as I go. It's like a part-time job for me. Here's some suggestions that are really easy to do, and the results are great:

Pants of any kind: take in the INNER seam up through the crotch and down the other leg. You get the narrower look in the leg area, don't mess with the pockets, and it takes up some of the extra in the front and back.

To take in the hips, I start just below the waistband, starting exactly at the seam, and sew down. Take in as much as you need, and then taper back to the normal seam.

Tops: take in the middle of the BACK of the garment, starting at the neck and go all the way down. Take in more at the top to reduce the large neck opening and bring in the shoulders, and adjust the size of the seam to how much you need to take in the garment. Sometimes I end up with just barely catching the fabric so it looks like a continuous seam from the outside. Cut open the seam, and top stich the top and bottom to hold the new seam allowances. If there is a collar, then start at the bottom edge of the collar like a dart: no fabric, and then taper out to start taking in the shoulder area in the back.

The results are very neat, and practically invisible to tell you have altered the garments.

I have saved untold amounts of money over the last year doing this, especially the "back seam" thing.

I had many items altered when I lost weight...some things twice!!:eek:

Frankly, these days the only things I would try myself are simple seamed t-shirts. Now, I can sew if I want to....(I made a gorgeous pieced duvet and shams, many years ago), but pants can be tricky, and lumpy, uneven seams can result if you aren't careful. I used a local alterations lady - she's saved me a ton on clothes over the years. :D

Some of my clothes I've altered three times, and there will be another go-round before I'm done. I told DH I like my clothes and want to keep them, plus I just don't want to spend the money on new ones......I'd rather spend it on cruises!!:D

Archived