Upgrade Fairy

Sonyac

Hi there,

For those of you having had this experience, how far in advance from the cruise date has the uprade fairy visited?

The reason why I ask is because the cruise I am on is still trying to sell out the higher decks that have the cabin type I have booked but as yet haven't been able to fill those cabins and am thinking we may just get the upgrade fairy visiting.

Sonya

O this is something I'm interested in too, we are on the aloha deck inside cabin.

And to add to the question regarding upgrades, do they send you to a lower level if they upgrade you or you can only go up and better?

(hope you don't mind me asking sonya :D)

O this is something I'm interested in too, we are on the aloha deck inside cabin.

And to add to the question regarding upgrades, do they send you to a lower level if they upgrade you or you can only go up and better?

For an upgrade, you can only go better. They cannot downgrade you. Being inside Aloha, you can only be upgarded to outside, balcony or a mini suite (wouldn't that be nice) or even a full suite.

Persoanlly, I prefer a lower deck outside cabin over a higher deck inside cabin.

On our Pacific Sun cruise, we booked 17 months in advance & booked cheapest which was Riviera inside. We had a cabin number almost immediately but within a week or so that disappeard and we had nothing until 3 weeks before. We were upgraded to upper deck (2 decks) but still inside.

We are going on the Dawn Princess in just under 8 weeks and our printable boarding passes are ready to print off on the cruise personaliser website which shows a cabin number and that it is an inside cabin and the grade. (same as what we paid for) It has said the same cabin details the whole time since final payment. Does this mean that we wont be getting upgraded at all? Or can it still happen when we check in?

Annette :confused: :confused:

I am booked into an inside cabin with 3 people on Emerald deck on the Pacific Dawn but could very well be upgraded to an inside cabin with 3 people on Caribe, Dolphin or Aloha decks??? or would I get an outside cabin on those decks?

and I don't mind that you asked either mumzie!

Sonya

Karen there was a $700 each difference in price to go lower and outside to being higher and inside lol, we actually asked for Baja deck but for an extra $40 each we got on aloha deck, we have friends coming too and they got the room next too us we both have our room numbers already..(but I keep joking with her that we will get upgraded to a suit pml)

We are going on the Dawn Princess in just under 8 weeks and our printable boarding passes are ready to print off on the cruise personaliser website which shows a cabin number and that it is an inside cabin and the grade. (same as what we paid for) It has said the same cabin details the whole time since final payment. Does this mean that we wont be getting upgraded at all? Or can it still happen when we check in?

You can be upgraded right up until check-in. Just don't get your heart set on it:) . It will also depend on if you booked with others......if so, less chance of being upgraded.

I am booked into an inside cabin with 3 people on Emerald deck on the Pacific Dawn but could very well be upgraded to an inside cabin with 3 people on Caribe, Dolphin or Aloha decks??? or would I get an outside cabin on those decks?

Sonya

hi sonya, normally if you book an inside and if they are going to upgrade you the chances would be slim hoping for something else with 3 people in the cabin, if you do thats great but i'd be checking the personaliser, you never know

in the last 12 months we have cruised 7 times & only been upgraded once, we were booked in an obstructed view outside on 8 deck & we got an ocean view on 6 deck, we were dropped down 2 decks but we didnt have a tender blocking our view so we thought that was ok

Karen there was a $700 each difference in price to go lower and outside to being higher and inside lol, we actually asked for Baja deck but for an extra $40 each we got on aloha deck, we have friends coming too and they got the room next too us we both have our room numbers already..(but I keep joking with her that we will get upgraded to a suit pml)

That's interesting. According to the brochure for your cruise, Aloha inside is $3194 each, cheapest outside(apart from t-grade) is $3,253. Still dearer but I personally would rather pay the extra $59 & have a window.

Sonya

You could be upgraded to an inside cabin or even possibly an outside cabin on any of those decks. Also, a change to an outside cabin on Emerald deck is also an upgrade.

hi sonya, normally if you book an inside and if they are going to upgrade you the chances would be slim hoping for something else with 3 people in the cabin, if you do thats great but i'd be checking the personaliser, you never know

When we were upgraded 2 decks on our Sun cruise, there were 5 of us in the cabin.

Hi Mumzie,

Welcome to the boards, they will be very helpful for you.

We were in an inside cabin on Aloha on the maiden cruise in November (A167). What cabin have you got?

Don

It is most likely to happen in the last few weeks before sailing - saves playing more musical chairs if there are late bookings. Most of the upgrades will happen at the same time with a keystroke of the computer.

Keep checking your personaliser until you leave.

Upgrades are done via a backward alphabet. If you have booked CAT P, you have a lot of inside categories to upgrade through before you make it to the outside of the ship. The higher in the ship, the dearer the grade - but often to an identical cabin in a different location.

Hi Sonyac,

It really doesn't matter where your cabin is, the main this is that you are going on a cruise!!!!!!! Yah.

We stayed in an outside cabin on Emerald deck, and it was so close to everything. On the deck was 2 of the duty free shops, 1 deck up The Bengal, Promanade Bar and Bachus bar, The dining room, the photo shop and another shop plus the wide promanade walking decks. 1 deck down you have the pursers desk and the La Patisserie. Unless you want to walk up 6 or 7 flights of stairs you do need to the Lift to go up to Lido or Sun deck. But hay that is fine. Also good for anyone who may be inclined to get seasickness as there is less sway on the lower decks than up the top decks. Great Spot!!

Actually, we have requested a cabin on Emerald deck for our next cruise..:)

Thanks for the info and the welcome.

When I look at our cabin position, we are actually located next to the Shark Shack so that may not be a good thing if I am not feeling the best and want to sleep. Not sure what the walls are like but that is a small concern for me. If we had had the one next to us I wouldn't have minded so much. Anyway, as you said I am going so that is a great thing for me :D

I had just heard about so many people being upgraded that I wondered seeing as the cruise has not been fully booked and they are struggling to get the rooms filled at this stage, according to the website we went through to book, that maybe seeing as this cruise is so close to christmas, people may not have the money to go and that we would get an upgrade based on that info. Either way I am happy to be going :D

Here's to the upgrade fairy ;)

Hi Sonyac,

What cabin are you in? We were in E166 and the kids didn't bother us at all. We even had a couple of nanna naps and were not disturbed at all. Actually just looked at my map of Emerald deck and if you are in E204/207 you will be fine but if you are in E200/203 you may hear a little noise through the walls....sorry :(

When I look at our cabin position, we are actually located next to the Shark Shack so that may not be a good thing if I am not feeling the best and want to sleep. Not sure what the walls are like but that is a small concern for me. If we had had the one next to us I wouldn't have minded so much. Anyway, as you said I am going so that is a great thing for me :D

I had just heard about so many people being upgraded that I wondered seeing as the cruise has not been fully booked and they are struggling to get the rooms filled at this stage, according to the website we went through to book, that maybe seeing as this cruise is so close to christmas, people may not have the money to go and that we would get an upgrade based on that info. Either way I am happy to be going :D

Here's to the upgrade fairy ;)

Yes, if there are gaps in the categories above, there will be upgrades. There usually are, as many will book the cheapest fare as a guarantee booking, which will bump others into fairyland as well.

It helps to book early, make final payment early, be a past cruiser to be at the front of the queue when these upgrades take place. Obviously, those that book a cheap guarantee very late will be left with the lower grades.

Just because there are many categries still available does not mean the ship is not almost full. All the flexible guarantee bookings they have sold allows them to keep sales open for all possible categories till late.

Good luck

Karen we got the room for $2504 each my friend got the same price for the room next to us so cheaper than the book which was a pleasant surprise lol.

Don we have cabin A156 and my friends got A158, we have said yes to an upgrade if one comes about but if I was dropped a floor even to a window I don't know if I'd like that...so I can change that to not allow for an upgrade and stick to that room..

Karen we got the room for $2504 each my friend got the same price for the room next to us so cheaper than the book which was a pleasant surprise lol.

Don we have cabin A156 and my friends got A158, we have said yes to an upgrade if one comes about but if I was dropped a floor even to a window I don't know if I'd like that...so I can change that to not allow for an upgrade and stick to that room..

That is a great location, they have the cabin next the one we had and you are one more forward. Very handy to everything, one floor up to cafe del sol for early coffee and you wont hear much noise from above. Also very handy to the spas at the rear of Aloha deck. We hardly noticed any noise at all. We tried to get the same cabin again for next march.

Don

Obviously everyone has their own thoughts & opinions on these things but personally I'd be happy to be dropped from A deck to B deck if it meant going from an inside to an outside cabin. I love having a window and being up high is not important to me. You'll have fun no matter where you are:) .

When I look at our cabin position, we are actually located next to the Shark Shack so that may not be a good thing if I am not feeling the best and want to sleep. Not sure what the walls are like but that is a small concern for me.

We were in E199, directly opposit Turtle Cove and we didn't notice any noise at all.

lol (Karen)we would have loved a window or verandah, maybe next time :p I guess too being our first one its all a big learning curve and a way to find out what is good for us and not so good lol...But I will keep what you said in mind too so thank you for your input regarding windows :D

Archived