Help Wanted......

suech

My Auntie is travelling solo on Ocean Village 2 on 4 Nov, Palma to Barbados then doing Coral & Coconuts. Any other solo's taking the same trip? I can give her plenty of info and tips on ship and islands, but would like some solo traveller advice to give her. Has done solo holidays before but never cruised before. She's visiting Antigua, Tortola, Dominica, St Lucia, Grenada, St Kitts, Barbados, St Vincents, Mayreau, Curacao and Aruba. Plenty of tours available from ship, but would like to have a wonder around by herself. So any tips or advice on doing her own thing would be great. Hoping someone can help, cheers!

My Auntie is travelling solo on Ocean Village 2 on 4 Nov, Palma to Barbados then doing Coral & Coconuts. Any other solo's taking the same trip? I can give her plenty of info and tips on ship and islands, but would like some solo traveller advice to give her. Has done solo holidays before but never cruised before. She's visiting Antigua, Tortola, Dominica, St Lucia, Grenada, St Kitts, Barbados, St Vincents, Mayreau, Curacao and Aruba. Plenty of tours available from ship, but would like to have a wonder around by herself. So any tips or advice on doing her own thing would be great. Hoping someone can help, cheers!

Hi:) I would say have your Aunt see if there is a Roll Call

started over on that forum for her sailing. That is a good way

to meet other people on the same cruise.

Curacao and Aruba are wonderful ports for walking around on

one's own.

I sail solo too and there are times I do book with a ship's tour

as its a good way to meet other's as well.

I also request a large table for dinner and that is a fun way

to meet other passengers too.

Hope she has a wonderful cruise:)

To piggyback on what Lois said, I sail solo but in most cases book tours thru the ship. I do this for 2 reasons - to meet others on the ship, and for security. I only wander around on my own in ports I've visited before, where I'm already aware of the places that are safe and well traveled.

Roz

Like Lois R stated, have your aunt join the roll call for her sailing on this website. Not one started?? She can start herself!! I did for my sailing!!

She will find other cruisers on her sailing. There are some that you will only chat with on the board and meet once on board. There are others that you will click with and end up doing tours and stuff around the ship with.

Also, go to the port of calls section of this website. All of the ports that you mention have info on local tour guides,beaches, shopping, places to eat,etc. 99% of my tours are booked with local guides suggested on this website. These guides will tell you that cruisecritic and other sites like this are their bread and butter and they want people to return home and do great reviews on them. But if she don't want to venture like this, a ship tour is fine also.

Tell her to go with the mindset to relax and have fun! Cruising solo is a great way to see the world and set it to your pace.

Happy sailing!!

Thanks all for the info and comments. Went through all her ports of call and sorted her "must do's"/"if i feel like it" shore trips. She seems happy to take ships excursions as first time cruising and first time in Caribbean.

Lois R, thanks for comments on Aruba and Curacao, haven't been there my self, will pass that on.

Have said Mayreau and Tortola are ok to wonder round solo too. Mayreau being so small and Tortola just less hussle and bussle than other islands, fair comment?

Hows the shopping in Basseterre and is it walkable (and safe) from dock to town centre? Have only caught taxi to beach myself, here!

Thanks for all your help again!

Thanks all for the info and comments. Went through all her ports of call and sorted her "must do's"/"if i feel like it" shore trips. She seems happy to take ships excursions as first time cruising and first time in Caribbean.

Lois R, thanks for comments on Aruba and Curacao, haven't been there my self, will pass that on.

Have said Mayreau and Tortola are ok to wonder round solo too. Mayreau being so small and Tortola just less hussle and bussle than other islands, fair comment?

Hows the shopping in Basseterre and is it walkable (and safe) from dock to town centre? Have only caught taxi to beach myself, here!

Thanks for all your help again!

No problem!! That's what we all are here to do, help each other out on cruise info!!

I will be able to tell you about Basseterre very soon since in two weeks I'm sailing out and I will post from my cruise!!

I tend to wander around anyplace, although I am a male so circumstances are a bit different. Have not been to Mayreau, but agree on Tortola having less hustle and bustle. There's a few streets downtown where you could get run over if you tried hard.

I actually got lost in the poor section of St John on Antigua and the residents did nothing but give me polite and helpful directions.

I also wandered around on St Lucia, northwest of the city. I heard from others on my cruise that downtown Port Castries had some irritating and obnoxious "cab drivers" who wouldn't accept no. St Lucia is prime for an excursion anyway, the best scenery requires a trip.

Archived