NCL - Lunch boxes

sjlordme

Highly doubtful. Many countries do not want you bringing food off the ship and into their country for environmental reasons. Some countries will actually inspect any bags you're carrying and confiscate food they find. Some will even fine you.

On my last cruise, there was a table at the head of the gangplank with lots of fruit that people discovered they were not allowed to take off ship with them.

Years ago we did get packed lunches from NCL, while visiting Mexico.

The cruise line was probably tied by regulations, since the most edible part of the lunches, appeared to be the cardboard boxes that they were packed in.

john

in only some places is it illegal, and most of the time its only illegal for some fresh food like fresh fruit.package items and cooked items are probably ok I have brought cooked breads ashore, pies, etc and no one even when they saw it stopped me. I bring plastic zip lock bags along and bring something enough to tide me over(like 10 croissants). they fit in the bags nicely and aren't messy....

Does anyone know if NCL will prepare a "lunch box" to take with you for days off ship?

Not permitted and there will be signs saying it. You can take packaged foods like granola bars, chips, packaged cookies, etc.

Most islands {and countrie} don't permit any fresh foods of any kind to be brought ashore, including meats, cheeses, fruits and other produce. There is a fear of foreign bacteria or fungus being brought onto the islands that might be a detriment to local crops. The U.S is included in the list of countries that don't permit this

in only some places is it illegal, and most of the time its only illegal for some fresh food like fresh fruit.package items and cooked items are probably ok I have brought cooked breads ashore, pies, etc and no one even when they saw it stopped me. I bring plastic zip lock bags along and bring something enough to tide me over(like 10 croissants). they fit in the bags nicely and aren't messy....

The problem is that it doesn't matter whether we think they're "probably ok" because that's just a guess. Many ports do forbid all food items (including cups of brewed coffee, milk, baked goods, and other freshly prepared foods). The other issue can be when someone thinks, "It's just a sandwich" and forgets that the sandwich has lettuce and tomato on it or assumes that all agricultural laws deal only with fruit and vegetables, but that particular country doesn't allow meat or cheese to be brought ashore. You're correct that most places do allow pre-packaged items such as granola bars, cereal boxes, cracker packets, etc.), but some do not allow things such as trail mix, dried fruits, and anything that could possibly harbor foreign pathogens or insects.

The only way to know for sure is to find out specifically for each port what they currently prohibit or allow. I write "currently" because laws do change. For example, Mexico has tightened up their laws quite a bit.

beachchick

The problem is that it doesn't matter whether we think they're "probably ok" because that's just a guess. Many ports do forbid all food items (including cups of brewed coffee, milk, baked goods, and other freshly prepared foods). The other issue can be when someone thinks, "It's just a sandwich" and forgets that the sandwich has lettuce and tomato on it or assumes that all agricultural laws deal only with fruit and vegetables, but that particular country doesn't allow meat or cheese to be brought ashore. You're correct that most places do allow pre-packaged items such as granola bars, cereal boxes, cracker packets, etc.), but some do not allow things such as trail mix, dried fruits, and anything that could possibly harbor foreign pathogens or insects.

The only way to know for sure is to find out specifically for each port what they currently prohibit or allow. I write "currently" because laws do change. For example, Mexico has tightened up their laws quite a bit.

beachchick

Its really pretty simple every day you get a newsletter from the cruise line. In it it says if food ashore is prohibited. Most of the time it doesn't say a thing. I assume that if it doesn't they aren't warning me about the local law so I if I want bring some food that I consume or bring back to the ship. I never leave it ashore.

Since the majority of the countries no longer want people to take any type of food off the ship -- no fruits -- sandwiches -- etc., -- the cruise lines can not longer make lunches for you.

For all day excursions booked through the cruise line -- one of 2 things will happen -- the cruise line will make arrangements for you to dine at a place that has the cruise lines approval (if lunch is included in the price of the excursion) OR you will be told to buy lunch on your own during a lunch break in the tour.

The ship is provisioned with food originating in different countries. What happens on ship stays on ship.

However, all food that is provisioned onto the ship has passed through the rigorous Hawaii Dept of Agriculture inspections. No matter where it comes from, it goes through the state inspection. A couple of years ago, the Dept of Ag was allowing an exception for NCLA Pride of X ships (there were three at the time) because they never leave Hawaii's waters or make a call at a foreign port. All other ships still had the very strict agricultural and import restrictions that have been in place for a long time. On the Pride of X ships, passengers were allowed to bring fresh food (including fruit) off the ships, although they weren't allowed to bring any open consumables (not even chips) back onto the ship. When the then Pride of Aloha started alternating Hawaii-only with Hawaii plus Fanning Island itineraries, pax on that ship were no longer allowed to bring any fresh food off the ship (regardless of which itinerary they sailed) because of the foreign port stop.

Of course this doesn't mean that they are still allowing it with Pride of America. The cruise line, the Dept of Ag, and recent pax would know whether this exception still exists. I rather suspect that they've gone back to the strict regulations enforced on all other cruise ships and visitors arriving by air.

beachchick

westcoastfun:

Since hawaii is us????

I forgot to mention that the fact that Hawaii is in the US is immaterial. Alaska has very strict agricultural laws, as do CA and many other states. The exception was made for the Pride of X ships because they remained solely in the state of Hawaii, rather than because Hawaii is part of the US. For example, if they had been able to do a CA-Hawaii itinerary and even with no foreign port stop, then the full agricultural restrictions would apply because the ship would be cruising from the mainland. It would be the same as when we fly from the mainland to Hawaii (and vice versa because various states have their own specific agricultural restrictions).

beachchick

I know that Carnival did not do this when we cruised with them so I suspect NCL is the same. Luckily, I have this habit that I got from my grandmother. She never went anywhere without something to eat in her purse. I always carry pre-packaged snack foods with me...small bags of nuts, trail mix, Kashi bars, protein bars, etc...They come in handy at the airport and on our cruises. We eat a good breakfast before we get off the ship and if we get hungry later, we have some snacks to tide us over until we get back to the ship. Eating off the ship can get expensive and if you have to do it in every port, well...:eek: .

Archived