What is your favorite thing about cruising?

CruisinAsh

OK so this probably has been asked so many times, but since I am a newbie I am curious to know what my fellow cruisers enjoy doing on cruises. After all, we dedicate some time to talk about it daily, as well as read about.

So I guess I will start...my favorite thing about cruising...

Of course the food! I mean I gain at least 5 pounds before I leave the ship (on a 7 day that is). I am not use to having fancy meals like that, because let's face it, I cannot afford it in "real life." On lobster night, I usually end up ordering 2 extra lobster tails. To be honest, the only time I eat lobster is on a cruise vacation. So I guess that is why I overindulge. The waiting staff always gives me a weird look, but I don't care because I am on a cruise!

My favorite thing about cruising is that after several months of planning and anticipation I can let it go!

No driving, no shopping for and cooking of my own meals (which I can enjoy all day), someone making my bed for me every day, no laundry to do unless I chose to and unpacking only once, and some much more. I get to live a little bit of a pampered life.

Having to get to the destinations I want to enjoy are out of my control. A very competent crew will take care of this while I am dreaming in my room.:) Wake up in the morning with wonderful excursions in my future.

Only down side is to wake up in the morning and realize you must get off the ship.:(

Since we only do "warm weather" vacations, I look forward to the heat! And the beautiful scenery...and the lovely ship. The food used to be a factor, but most mainstream lines have reduced the quality and presentation, so that's a non-issue now.

I love getting on the ship and unpacking once then relaxing for the rest of the cruise. It's great to not have to worry about where to go or where to eat etc.. I also love the smell of the wonderful sea air, and beautiful blue water as far as my eyes can see. It's heaven!!;)

the best thing about going on a cruise is that no one can get a hold of you. we put our cell phones away and try not to e-mail any one. this is our first time away from our son so we may have to e-mail home more.

but you get on the boat up pack and sit back and enjoy. you eat when you want, there is always something to do. i love to go to the bingo games and travel and shopping talks while my husband is out on deck enjoying the sun. when we get off the ships we may go off on our or book a tour. we love to try the different foods, and drinks.

I love to go shopping on the ship or on land.

sit back and enjoy the ride.

Just being on the ship and meeting fellow cruisers -

Not having to cook or clean house -

Unpacking once and enjoying the different ports instead of being bussed to them and staying in hotels where you unpack and pack....

Corkey

For me it's watching the lines get untied and the ship slip away from the dock and I turn off the cell phone and realize no one can reach me for the entire cruise last year 8 nights next year 10 nights. I go stand on deck and watch the mainland slowly disappear and feel the the motion of the ship and look at my dh and say welcome to vacation as we head further out to sea.

Christine

For me it's watching the lines get untied and the ship slip away from the dock and I turn off the cell phone and realize no one can reach me for the entire cruise last year 8 nights next year 10 nights. I go stand on deck and watch the mainland slowly disappear and feel the the motion of the ship and look at my dh and say welcome to vacation as we head further out to sea.

Christine

Hi Christine ( also on the Birthday thread ) -- Yes, you said it all - except I turn my cell off as soon as I leave my house!! Corkey Carol

We like how at the end of the day after being in some new place and talking about what you liked best about it, we wake up the next day and do it all over again in a new city or country.

One thing we like to do is have a meal from whatever country we are in.

Some of the best was in Germany, Helsike and San Juan. The beer in Estonia was the best.

The no cooking, cleaning, are just an extra perk.

I love dressing up, eating in the dining room, being waited on, with no rush, no hurry, no worries! Then, it's off to a lounge to dance, flirt with my DH, and enjoy an evening without being concerned about driving home!

THat sounds like something I say too!! good for you! sounds like a super great cruise for ya! Corkey Carol

EVERYTHING! But really I like waking up to a new port everyday, not having to worry about paying bills or what errands I need to do. I love that my biggest decision is what to wear and what to eat. Dont have to wait for the food to be made, just walk into the buffet and instant gratification. Also like to be on the upper deck just watching the ocean go by you with not a care in the world. Thats the best part.

• 2 weeks later...

There is something about a cruise that makes me forget everything at home. It makes me not even think about worries or problems or home at all! To me, cruising is the most relaxing vacation there is, as long as you don't try to over do it in ports. I love not being on a schedule.

We love sail-away....the adventure of a new destination each day.....having someone else do the cooking/cleaning.....especially watching the sunsets over the water and taking pictures. My DH loves getting up early to watch a sunrise with a travel mug of coffee and to watch for the approaching new island. I get up once in awhile to watch a sunrise but not every day. I love the big, comfy BED and looking out over the water at night and be able to see so many stars in the black sky....watching the constantly changing reflection of the moving water onto the cabin ceiling in the darkness. Oh yes....and the FOOD of course. Love dressing up for formal nights and strolling the decks together. We love the island scenery and I especially love taking pictures of nature and gorgeous views. Enjoy meeting and talking with the local people, learning about their islands.

"what is your favorite thing about cruising:"

being on the ocean is #1.

sitting on the balcony on the ocean with an unobstructed view is #2

and having my "apartment" cleaned twice a day for a week! is #3.

*** just thought of another one of my favorite things to do....

i loveeeeeeeee getting up early, before the sun, grab my place on the east side of the ship (with my coffee!!!) and take photo's of the morning sunrise!!!!!

and i loveeeeeeee the people that are up, too! it's like a little club of us.. every morning, same area.

the rest is icing.:D

The reasons I love cruising so much is it's one of the few times that my husband's job is not in contact with him. Since travel is a big part of his job, it's not always been very easy on me. He has a rather stressful position and both of us do work, not to mention that I have been Dad and Mom to my now 3 grown children (who are very close in age) for months at a time. Our lives are changing in that respect just a little as we can totally concentrate on just us especially now that we have grown children and two of them are newlyweds.....no grandchildren yet! :D We both love the sea, the outdoors and travel so it really combines all of our loves together and we forget all about the stresses at home for however long we are away.

• 3 weeks later...

This last cruise we had a bonus! The NCL Pearl Garden Cafe had a self serve cappucino machine. Every morning we hopped up the one flight of stairs, as our room was on deck 11 AFT, grabbed a couple of cappucinos and then headed to our balcony! Loved those cappucinos!

Archived