What is the best way to get from St. Thomas to St.John's

ajj0624

i was wondering how is the best way to get between the islands and if you could make a 1/2 day trip there and back or if you have only certain times to go and come back. Also will we have to clear any kind of customs or need our passports to go to St. John's from St. thomas?

Both St. Thomas and St. John are part of the US Virgin Islands, so no passport is required to travel between them.

There are two ferries between St. Thomas and St. John, one from Red Hook and one from Charlotte Amalie. We have used both of them--made our decision based on schedule.

The ferry from Charlotte Amalie was easy (when we did it many years ago). The only off thing was we didn't recognize it as a ferry even after people told us exactly where it was. If it is still the same set-up, it was just a boat, looking like other boats, only a little bigger with a small sign that said "Ferry", tied up to the sidewalk. This may be no longer the case but if it is, don't look for some big car ferry like I made the mistake of doing.

Otherwise, it was very smooth. We walked to the ferry from the ship and on the way back, the ship's tour was on the ferry also so the ferry actually stopped at the ship. We got off then with the ship's tour. We paid something like $7 versus $40 something for the ship's tour. Probably prices have gone up since then but you get the idea. Once we reached St. John, we walked to the Park office where they gave us a map and we followed the map to do a lovely hike to a beach.

We took a "cab" to Red Hook. Very simple, they are lined up at the dock. I can't remember if it was $10.00 for both of us or $10.00 each. We choose Red Hook because the crossings were more frequent from there as opposed the Charolette Amalie. Coming back was just as simple. Cabs are lined up.

I was just there last week and we took the ferry from Red Hook to St John.

If your ship docks at Charlotte Amalie the cost of a taxi to Red Hook is $10 or $11 per person. The ferries from Red Hook leave every hour on the hour. They start selling tickets 20 minutes prior to the next ferry leaving. The ferry ride from Red Hook to Cruz Bay is approximately 10-15 minutes. Once you arrive at St. John there are several taxis available to take you anywhereon St John you want. The ferries back to St. Thomas also run every hour on the hour. The cost of a one way ticket is $5.00 plus $1.40 fuel charge. Save time and purchase a round trip ticket at Red Hook.

If you take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie the cost is $10.00 one way plus a fuel charge. The trip will take you approximately 45 minutes. We normally don’t take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie so I don’t have too much information on this.

Just be aware that "rush hour" week day afternoon traffic getting to Crown Bay from Red Hook can be very bad. (I'm not kidding) Don't shave it too close.

There is less traffic between Charlotte Amalie ferry port and Crown Bay and it's possible to walk it, though it'll be a longer walk, maybe half an hour.

The last time we did this we took the 9 AM ferry from Charlotte Amalie to Cruz Bay and then returned on the ferry to Red Hook. The ferry from Red Hook runs every hour on the hour but if you want to go back to Charlotte Amalie it's a little more sporadic. This worked out perfect and we had plenty of time to return to St. Thomas and shop in the afternoon.

Just a reminder that even though you do not need a passport to go from St. Thomas to St. John, it is a good idea to bring some type of ID with you other than your cruise card (ie. driver's license). Depending on what the U.S. security alert is for the day, the ferry operators will sometimes check ID before allowing you to board. They do not make exceptions so come prepared.

Just be aware that "rush hour" week day afternoon traffic getting to Crown Bay from Red Hook can be very bad. (I'm not kidding) Don't shave it too close.

There is less traffic between Charlotte Amalie ferry port and Crown Bay and it's possible to walk it, though it'll be a longer walk, maybe half an hour.

It's around 45 minutes walking slowly & if I knew the ship was preparing to leave without me maybe 15 minutes. ;)

It's around 45 minutes walking slowly & if I knew the ship was preparing to leave without me maybe 15 minutes. ;)

If I was about to miss the ship I could sprint and make it in under 10... but I'd need a oxygen tent once aboard. :D

Why not take a day sail over from Red Hook? We did that on the Rumbaba sailboat last year and it was one of the best excursions we've ever done. There are a number of boats with a maximum of 6 passengers that could take you over. We sailed over with breakfast, went snorkelling while Captain Bobby made lunch (which included fresh grilled fish, you can get steak or chicken, too), had a drink with lunch, sailed to another snorkelling spot and then headed back at a leisurely place. It was a truly awesome way to spend the day!

http://www.rumbabacharters.com/

Archived