OT: Favorite Non Cruise Photograph

There are so many talented people here on these boards so I would love to see their favorite non cruise photos that they photograph in their home town or a non cruise vacation. Maybe it's a picture from the county fair, or their garden or a trip to Yellowstone. This is the thread to share and I know you have some great pictures to share with us. I'll start with some pictures of flowers I recently took in my hometown.

DSC_0615.jpg

DSC_0706.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg

Ok, I'll play...

This isn't a studio shot. Our granddaughter was sitting on my wife's lap playing with the beads. She looked so cute that I ran and got the camera and flash, bounced the flash off of the wall and caught this. I processed out the color except for the beads.

large.jpg

I have a lot of photos that I like, but this one stands out as an all-time favorite.

Dave

Ok, I'll play...

This isn't a studio shot. Our granddaughter was sitting on my wife's lap playing with the beads. She looked so cute that I ran and got the camera and flash, bounced the flash off of the wall and caught this. I processed out the color except for the beads.

large.jpg

I have a lot of photos that I like, but this one stands out as an all-time favorite.

Dave

Dave, I've been experimenting with working with pictures on Photoshop Elements. How do you process out all the color except the beads? I have been able to turn a pic into b/w and then add just touches of color, and it turns out really good! But I LOVE this photo and the technique. She is such a beautiful baby! Thank you for all your help in photography. It's a great hobby!

Linda :)

Ok, I'll play...

large.jpg

Dave

Beautiful image!

Beautiful image!

Dave, I've been experimenting with working with pictures on Photoshop Elements. How do you process out all the color except the beads? I have been able to turn a pic into b/w and then add just touches of color, and it turns out really good! But I LOVE this photo and the technique. She is such a beautiful baby! Thank you for all your help in photography. It's a great hobby!

Linda :)

Thanks for the kind words!:o

I used the circular mask tool and selected each bead individually (shift-select to add a selection), inverted the selection (ctrl-shift-I), then de-saturated the photo. That left the beads blue and the rest of the photo B&W.

Tedious, but worth the time.

BTW, that was a while ago...she is six now and has a sister. Both too cute for words! Here's a couple of shots from out recent non-cruise to Hawaii (I have a lot of non-cruise favorites! :D ):

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Dave

WOW such beautiful photos on this thread. I knew the CC had talented people. Dave, your granddaughter is beautiful. God bless her. Thanks for sharing everyone. I'll have to check out my non cruise photos and come back a post a few more.:D

Everyone's photos are so awesome!! This is my most "treasured" photo. I do need to explain it though. I was on a short-term mission trip to Haiti and we traveled north to the island of Tortuga. The poverty there is beyond words. We took a group of children into a building to play and have crafts, etc. However, a very hard lesson to learn in places such as Haiti is the fact that you cannot help EVERYONE. These children learn at a very young age that there is just not enough to go around.

While playing with the ones inside, I looked toward the back of the building where there was a hole in the concrete wall. There I saw the faces of these children watching us! I snapped that picture in a split second...before I had a chance to really think about it. When I reflect on that picture, I am reminded of the impovershed people in the world, not just in Haiti, but everywhere.

I hope this picture is not too much of a "downer" for this thread. I think it really reflects how the camera does not take the picture, but the eye of the person does.

Janet

Totuga.jpg

I have so many! Most of them of my kids and NOT my favorites because they are technically good but just because I like them or they make me laugh or make me remember how I felt.

My all-time favorite is this one of my daughter, taken on our trip to Paris in 2005. We were at the American Cemetery in Normandy. I looked at those thousands and thousands of grave markers and just started bawling. Bawling and bawling and bawling. It seemed like an entire generation lay there. My two oldest boys were far from home (Brazil and Korea) at the time, serving missions for our church. I thought about how I sent my boys across the world to serve the Lord, but how the mothers of these men sent their boys across the world to die. I still get teary.

Robin

IMG_3588.jpg

Really nice photos everyone.

Picking a favorite photograph is hard to do. However, in the grand kid theme, I like these because I caught them in poses which are almost totally opposite of their personalities.

Willow being serious.

willowserioussmall.jpg

Hudson being impish

Hudsonimpsmall.jpg

And here is a gallery of my recent favorites

http://www.pbase.com/roffee/favorites

Robin7, Thanks for sharing and it did make me stop and think how true about so many dying and brought tears to my eyes But none the less, a touching photo. Tha nks for posting it.

Janet, You shared a very touching and strong photo of the children in Haiti. That is sad and it does break my heart. Thanks for sharing.

And TheRoff, your grandkids are adorable. Thanks for sharing with us. I'll have to check your link.

OK So I thought that was going to come out big enough to actuallly SEE!! There is a LOT of detail in that picture.

How do you get the big files onto this site? It said I was limited to a small file.....but the others have such nice big pictures.

Archived