Does anyone cruising NCL miss formal night?

A Sixth?

Do you wish there was still mandatory formal nights on your NCL cruise?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish there was still mandatory formal nights on your NCL cruise?

• Yes, I do miss the tradition of dressing up a few nights on a cruise, the it's supposed to be.
    • I don't care, if there was a formal night so long as it's not mandatory to dress-up, who cares.
    • I'd rather go to the dentist than dress up in a monkey suit when I'm on vacation
    • This comes up all the time! and I don't like this subject... how dare you bring it up!)

It's nice to pack a few skirts and tops to mix and match for dinner. Tops I can also wear with jeans and capris. Much more flexible packing with NCL. A lot has changed since 1986 when on my first cruise (on the Norway) I took a beaded gown.

I just got off the Star on Saturday and I was joyful at the amount of people who dressed for dinner- in Versailles, Cagney's, Le Bistro etc. I don't mean everyone had on a suite and tie but at least pants and a collared shirt, some jackets, dresses aplenty. This one young guy was in shorts and no shirt with TONS of tattoos all cruise (outside of course) yet on the last night even he and his crew came down all dolled up in jackets etc. It was the people in jeans who felt a little off and stood out (in Cagney's especially) as most everyone chose to show a little class and dress smartly. Hey, it's an hour and a half of your life. You can change after. Even I changed after dinner one night(only due to my very high heels). FYI girls- if you want to stay dressed up all night, bring flatter shoes as you walk a LOT on ships!!! I wanted to keep my dress on but sneakers do not match my cocktail dresses etc!!!:D Oh, and they did seat everyone together who looked nice so that was awesome. Great cruise. So happy all round and not just in regards to this.

I still don't know who designed my dress, mind you, but mine is much more likely to hit the floor than hers. :p

I wondered at first about the embarrassed smile until I saw this line...:D

Hey, I think everybody should just enjoy their (usually) well-earned vacation. But in our case, we never get to dress up and I love to see my DH in his monkey suit, especially when celebrating something special like our anniversary.

So, even if we are sailing NCL at least on the night of the anniversary we will dress up.

Formal night on other cruise lines was always a mixed blessing. Fun to do for the pics and celebration of a special occasion but oh-so uncomfortable after a long hot day in the sun. I'm glad it's an option on NCL.

I do have to say I miss the photo's of us both in our suits. I do miss that part of formal night.

As you can see, Norweigen will be our first in a few months. I have been apprehensive because basically I like to dress up. I don't get to dress up anywhere in town anymore so I love to wear a formal and play "important" LOL

I think a separate dining room would be great. It's also all about atmosphere like some other people have said.

As you can see, Norweigen will be our first in a few months. I have been apprehensive because basically I like to dress up. I don't get to dress up anywhere in town anymore so I love to wear a formal and play "important" LOL

I think a separate dining room would be great. It's also all about atmosphere like some other people have said.

Gingee ~ I promise you there will be many people who really get decked out on your cruise. You will feel very comfortable. I love to see people dressing up on NCL because they're doing it because they WANT to. Not because they HAVE to. It's a great thing. Enjoy!

I don't understand. If you "dread" formal night why bother with it at all? There must be other options for you so that you don't have to participate in something you dread. That's not what a vacation is supposed to be about. It's your vacation, do what you want and enjoy it.

Kristy

Thats why I am only doing it one night. Ok perhaps dread is a bit harsh. I would rather not participate in formal, I don;t "enjoy" it.

I would point out that I do dress decent on everynight - I just don;t want to be required to dress up.

I am doing it this time because there is a group going and we will do a group photo.

I can't say I miss formal night per se. However, NCL's EXTREMELY relaxed approach fosters extremely trashy and shabby dress compared to the other lines in my opinion. Instead of "freestyle" dining it should be called "anything goes" dining.

Trashier than Carnival and RCI? I can't say I enjoy a formal night where I have dressed up while my table mates are in jeans, sloganed t shirts, cut offs and basball caps. I have had this experience on both of those lines.

Our last HAL cruise was not much better-as it seemed although people dressed for dinner-they made a B line for their rooms afterward and dressed down. As far as I am concerned-I would prefer to dress casual for the evening- than for myself to be dressed up and others around me not.

Archived