Does anyone cruising NCL miss formal night?

A Sixth?

Do you wish there was still mandatory formal nights on your NCL cruise?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish there was still mandatory formal nights on your NCL cruise?

• Yes, I do miss the tradition of dressing up a few nights on a cruise, the it's supposed to be.
    • I don't care, if there was a formal night so long as it's not mandatory to dress-up, who cares.
    • I'd rather go to the dentist than dress up in a monkey suit when I'm on vacation
    • This comes up all the time! and I don't like this subject... how dare you bring it up!)

Thought I'd ask because I prefer cruising Princess and NCL for the anytime/freestyle dining options and personally don't care for formal night. Over on the Princess form this is a regular hot topic.

I like to travel light and bringing a tux/nice suit makes it impossible to go ultra lite. Looking very forward to my upcoming, formal night free, cruise on the Jewel in January.

We've cruised Princess and Carnival..and brought "dress-up clothes" for formal night..but were mightily outdown by the TRULY "formal folks". We don't "do" formal. That is not to say that we dress sloppily; on the contrary, we're careful to follow the NCL "dress code" of "resort casual", and will be fine. I'm looking forward to the "no formal" and "freestyle dining" of NCL next week!

We really don't care if people dress up or not. My wife and I enjoy dressing up one evening. The only thing I wish NCL would do is set aside one place to eat for those who wish to participate in the formal evening. Just one place that those who are dressed to the nines can go and not sit next to a table of folks dressed in jeans. With all the places available to eat on NCL ships, they really could set aside one for formal only evenings.

Did I miss something? When did NCL stop having formal night? We dress casual 99% of the time but have fun dressing up one night out of 6. Is the cancellation fleetwide?

Ditto logcabin. We don't care how others dress but it does significantly detract from the ambiance of formal if others around you are in shorts or sweats.

We've cruised Princess and Carnival..and brought "dress-up clothes" for formal night..but were mightily outdown by the TRULY "formal folks". We don't "do" formal. That is not to say that we dress sloppily; on the contrary, we're careful to follow the NCL "dress code" of "resort casual", and will be fine. I'm looking forward to the "no formal" and "freestyle dining" of NCL next week!

Well, the folks on Princess may not like me then. We're currently booked on a Princess cruise next April, and I also "don't do formal". I plan on wearing a long black skirt with a somewhat dressy sweater top, and if they don't like it, that's their problem.

A long skirt with a "dressy top" is not that informal. Formal night is not necessary -- some of us like it. The problem on NCL is that they do not seem to enforce whatever dress code they do post. It would not be difficult to simply insist, for just one dining venue, that shorts, flip-flops, jeans, baseball caps, muscle shirts and bare midriffs are not acceptable attire -- NO EXCEPTIONS!

Yes, I suppose I do care (somewhat) what people around me wear. When we pay a few thousand dollars for a vacation where the dining experience is touted as a significant element, I do not want to eat in a place whose crowd makes it look like a roadside burger joint. Ambience (which includes how people dress) is unavoidably part of the experience.

the other mass-market lines would hate us, i don't own a dress (formal or not), DH hasn't had a suit jacket in years. hates button down shirts, won't wear shoes you have to polish.

the only cruise line for us (in our budget) is NCL.

but we LOVE to see others all dressed up, just have to plans to join them.:D

I don't like mandatory dress up, but like the option of "I can if I want to" If I have room, I pack a nice party dress, not really formal, and decide whether or not I want to join in the festivities.

I REALLY don't care about how other people dress and truly don't "get it" that other people let themselves get upset about something so very, very trivial. If you want to dress up - fine. If you want to dress down - fine. Your clothing choices are not my business or concern and in no way impact on my vacation.

Personally I have no difficulty following the "resort casual" dress code. If I were on a ship with a more "formal" dress code, I would follow that but I happen to prefer "resort casual".

Well, the folks on Princess may not like me then. We're currently booked on a Princess cruise next April, and I also "don't do formal". I plan on wearing a long black skirt with a somewhat dressy sweater top, and if they don't like it, that's their problem.

Well, you describe what I did...'cept I wore silk pants instead of a skirt...and thought I looked fine, but some folks were WAY "dolled up". I just ignored them. :)

My wife and I have cruised six times before, all previously on Royal Caribbean. Each time, when we first board the ship, our first stop is the Maitre d' at the dining room and tell him / her to release our table, that we will not be using our table at all during the cruise. We have ALWAYS hated getting dressed up, having to be at dinner at any set time ... and we've ALWAYS hated formal night. What we absolutely revel in is seeing everyone in their formal attire, while we have the pool / hot tub to ourselves, a very quiet buffet or room service ... the quality time together is always more important to us then the show of having to dress up to avoid hurting the sensibilities of others.

Michael

My wife and I have cruised six times before, all previously on Royal Caribbean. Each time, when we first board the ship, our first stop is the Maitre d' at the dining room and tell him / her to release our table, that we will not be using our table at all during the cruise. We have ALWAYS hated getting dressed up, having to be at dinner at any set time ... and we've ALWAYS hated formal night. What we absolutely revel in is seeing everyone in their formal attire, while we have the pool / hot tub to ourselves, a very quiet buffet or room service ... the quality time together is always more important to us then the show of having to dress up to avoid hurting the sensibilities of others.

Michael

I have been on a decent number of cruises over the years and ate traditional style more than freestyle. Luckily our table mates have always been very enjoyable save once.... on RCI. A whole week of arguments and sniping in a dead end corner of the dining room. It was a real let down. Luck of the draw I guess... man it was once band of misfits.... :eek:

I REALLY don't care about how other people dress and truly don't "get it" that other people let themselves get upset about something so very, very trivial. If you want to dress up - fine. If you want to dress down - fine. Your clothing choices are not my business or concern and in no way impact on my vacation.

Personally I have no difficulty following the "resort casual" dress code. If I were on a ship with a more "formal" dress code, I would follow that but I happen to prefer "resort casual".

I have got to say this is exactly how I feel as well. I always thought maybe it was because I am from the South and in the South someone's comfort at dinner was much more important to us than what they were wearing. Especially if you had someone in your home for dinner. The number one rule of a Southern host is to make your guest feel comfortable. I heard Martha Stewart interviewed once where she said she had her guest take off their shoes as they entered her home and I was mortified. Here she is suppose to be the Diva of good taste and entertaining and she asked guest to do that? If I had been one of those guest I would have turned around and left. I would never think of asking a guest to take off their shoes when they enter my house.

Sorry.. I know I got way off subject there. Just trying to say I guess it is all a matter of the culture where you are raised. I do not get the concept of dressing up in a suit JUST for dinner. Is it to show off what you can buy to wear? Is it to see what others can afford to buy and wear? That never mattered to me because I always thought those same people could go home to a cardboard box house. i have seen what some people had on as their formal wear and I KNOW the Calvin Klein jeans I had on cost more than their entire outfit cost.. So as you can see.. I honestly do not get it. Not trying to put anyone down at all. Just saying I honestly do not get it.

I have got to say this is exactly how I feel as well. I always thought maybe it was because I am from the South and in the South someone's comfort at dinner was much more important to us than what they were wearing. Especially if you had someone in your home for dinner. The number one rule of a Southern host is to make your guest feel comfortable. I heard Martha Stewart interviewed once where she said she had her guest take off their shoes as they entered her home and I was mortified. Here she is suppose to be the Diva of good taste and entertaining and she asked guest to do that? If I had been one of those guest I would have turned around and left. I would never think of asking a guest to take off their shoes when they enter my house.

Sorry.. I know I got way off subject there. Just trying to say I guess it is all a matter of the culture where you are raised. I do not get the concept of dressing up in a suit JUST for dinner. Is it to show off what you can buy to wear? Is it to see what others can afford to buy and wear? That never mattered to me because I always thought those same people could go home to a cardboard box house. i have seen what some people had on as their formal wear and I KNOW the Calvin Klein jeans I had on cost more than their entire outfit cost.. So as you can see.. I honestly do not get it. Not trying to put anyone down at all. Just saying I honestly do not get it.

I guess I'm going to veer off topic as well... I have to say I'm with Martha! ha ha ha Seriously, I live in Saskatchewan, and while there may exceptions during the summer, NOT taking your shoes off when you enter someone's home is, in my opinion, quite rude. I was raised to always remove my shoes (or wet, dirty boots as is the case much of the year) when I enter someone's private residence. If I am wearing something that I feel requires shoes, I carry them with me and put them on after removing my 'outdoor' footwear. :)

As for the poll, I think it's lacking in choices. As far as I'm concerned, NCL DOES have a formal night. It just doesn't come with a requirement for every person to adhere to the dress code. I don't 'miss' formal night because I wear a formal gown at least once on every NCL cruise, and I dress for dinner every other night. To me, that's what makes freestyle so great; those of us who like dressing up are given a great opportunity to do so as much as we want without feeling 'overdressed', and those that don't get to feel comfortable also. I think those that have suggested one dining room be set aside on 'dress up or not' night for those who want to have a 'formal' experience is a good idea. People still have the choice, and as long as it's a main dining room, they've still got the menu available to them in the other venue. Sounds like a win-win to me. :)

I guess I'm going to veer off topic as well... I have to say I'm with Martha! ha ha ha Seriously, I live in Saskatchewan, and while there may exceptions during the summer, NOT taking your shoes off when you enter someone's home is, in my opinion, quite rude. I was raised to always remove my shoes (or wet, dirty boots as is the case much of the year) when I enter someone's private residence. If I am wearing something that I feel requires shoes, I carry them with me and put them on after removing my 'outdoor' footwear. :)

As for the poll, I think it's lacking in choices. As far as I'm concerned, NCL DOES have a formal night. It just doesn't come with a requirement for every person to adhere to the dress code. I don't 'miss' formal night because I wear a formal gown at least once on every NCL cruise, and I dress for dinner every other night. To me, that's what makes freestyle so great; those of us who like dressing up are given a great opportunity to do so as much as we want without feeling 'overdressed', and those that don't get to feel comfortable also. I think those that have suggested one dining room be set aside on 'dress up or not' night for those who want to have a 'formal' experience is a good idea. People still have the choice, and as long as it's a main dining room, they've still got the menu available to them in the other venue. Sounds like a win-win to me. :)

Oh believe it or not, I agree with you. I think there are times as a guest I should take my shoes off before I enter someones home. That is where my manners should come into play. And, I also agree a lot has to do with where you live and the climate. It's just I would never ask someone to take off their shoes. LOL.. I would hope they have the common sense to know when they should. Does that make sense?

And I completely agree with the "having one of the main dining rooms as completely formal on a formal night". Just hope it isnt the main dining room.. LOL

Well, you describe what I did...'cept I wore silk pants instead of a skirt...and thought I looked fine, but some folks were WAY "dolled up". I just ignored them. :)

Black evening slacks and a dressy black sweater with black pashima is what I wear for formal nights too.;)

Oh believe it or not, I agree with you. I think there are times as a guest I should take my shoes off before I enter someones home. That is where my manners should come into play. And, I also agree a lot has to do with where you live and the climate. It's just I would never ask someone to take off their shoes. LOL.. I would hope they have the common sense to know when they should. Does that make sense?

And I completely agree with the "having one of the main dining rooms as completely formal on a formal night". Just hope it isnt the main dining room.. LOL

Believe it or not, I believe it!! ha ha ha Yeah, it definitely makes sense. I've never had to tell anyone to take their shoes/boots off... but I've told a few to leave them on. :)

I think the main dining room would be the best choice for a 'formal only' ambiance, just because it's usually a more 'formal' room, decor wise. That's why we usually end up in the 'other' main room for most nights... what with hubby in jeans and all... :p

Believe it or not, I believe it!! ha ha ha Yeah, it definitely makes sense. I've never had to tell anyone to take their shoes/boots off... but I've told a few to leave them on. :)

I think the main dining room would be the best choice for a 'formal only' ambiance, just because it's usually a more 'formal' room, decor wise. That's why we usually end up in the 'other' main room for most nights... what with hubby in jeans and all... :p

You know.. the only reason I said I hoped it wasnt the main dining room is because on the NCL Star, we ate once in the secondary dining room.. I'm just drawing a blank on the name of it right now and too lazy to look it up.. lol.. but I hated that place. I felt cramped in it, they sat us next to one of the strangest ladies I have ever met anywhere, and it was very loud. I like the decor of it a lot. It reminded me of a NY style upscale restaurant. LOL.. Doug just walked in from work. .said the name of the restaurant is Aqua. I just don't have any other experience with a secondary restaurant on an NCL ship.

You know.. the only reason I said I hoped it wasnt the main dining room is because on the NCL Star, we ate once in the secondary dining room.. I'm just drawing a blank on the name of it right now and too lazy to look it up.. lol.. but I hated that place. I felt cramped in it, they sat us next to one of the strangest ladies I have ever met anywhere, and it was very loud. I like the decor of it a lot. It reminded me of a NY style upscale restaurant. LOL.. Doug just walked in from work. .said the name of the restaurant is Aqua. I just don't have any other experience with a secondary restaurant on an NCL ship.
I just love those smaller dining rooms. We ate in the one on the Jewel twice on our last cruise, and we had the best tables ever. I'm not a fan of the huge, brightly lit dining rooms that remind me of being at a convention. The smaller rooms on the NCL ships are much more intimate (terrymtex says "cramped") and dimly lit. Romantic. Goes to show you that there's something for everyone.

LOL, I've never heard of taking one's shoes off unless there's a white carpet in someone's house. Guess they don't abide by that custom out here on the West Coast.

Ute_Fan, you'll be just fine in that skirt and sparkly top on Princess. Just stay in it throughout the night, though, or you'll get some rude stares.

Did I miss something? When did NCL stop having formal night? We dress casual 99% of the time but have fun dressing up one night out of 6. Is the cancellation fleetwide?.

This is a joke, right?

LOL, I've never heard of taking one's shoes off unless there's a white carpet in someone's house. Guess they don't abide by that custom out here on the West Coast.

Well .. yes, they do, Adele, ... I've got two married sons to prove it. WHO raised those boys, anyway? I go barefoot around here because I don't like shoes, but in their homes it's *mandatory* to take off one's shoes .. sheeesh .....:cool:

I'm in the midwest. We always took our shoes off before entering our home, and encouraged guests to do the same. And always took shoes off before entering someone else's home...unless they insisted otherwise. Lots of folks -- but not all -- do the same, around here (Wisconsin/Illinois).

One of the main reasons why I love NCL's Freestyle is the optional formal night (AKA "Dress Up or Not" night). I've been on my share of traditional cruises and I enjoyed dressing up then, but it no longer appeals to me. If an itinerary forced me to sail on a traditional ship, it wouldn't kill me, but given the choice, I book NCL.

Archived