Does anyone cruising NCL miss formal night?

A Sixth?

Do you wish there was still mandatory formal nights on your NCL cruise?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish there was still mandatory formal nights on your NCL cruise?

• Yes, I do miss the tradition of dressing up a few nights on a cruise, the it's supposed to be.
    • I don't care, if there was a formal night so long as it's not mandatory to dress-up, who cares.
    • I'd rather go to the dentist than dress up in a monkey suit when I'm on vacation
    • This comes up all the time! and I don't like this subject... how dare you bring it up!)

I'm in the midwest. We always took our shoes off before entering our home, and encouraged guests to do the same. And always took shoes off before entering someone else's home...unless they insisted otherwise. Lots of folks -- but not all -- do the same, around here (Wisconsin/Illinois).

I would never ask guests to remove their shoes! But that's just me.:p

This is a joke' date=' right?

Well .. yes, they do, Adele, ... I've got two married sons to prove it. WHO raised those boys, anyway? I go barefoot around here because I don't like shoes, but in their homes it's *mandatory* to take off one's shoes .. sheeesh .....:cool:

To both:

I can't imagine asking people to take off their shoes! :eek:

On the Dream we didn't have a choice; there was one main dining room. On the Star, though, we loved Aqua. We both liked the decor better, and the more 'intimate' feel. Oddly enough, though, we also got seated next to a bit of a strange duck one evening there. ha ha ha Thankfully, they were not a loud duck. :p

I think the shoe thing is mostly about climate and environment, and the traditions that have developed as a result. I know that here, shoes worn outdoors get REALLY dirty. Kids have 'school shoes' for wearing in the classrooms and gymnasiums. I think most people just condition their kids to take their shoes off when entering a private residence, and it sticks through adulthood. A lot of public places have signs asking people to remove all outdoor footwear as well.

Interestingly, I've actually never thought about it before participating in this thread - but I have never asked anyone (other than a child in muddy/wet shoes/boots) to remove their shoes when entering my home. It's not uncommon to ask if a host wants you to remove your shoes rather than immediately taking them off, though. Even service people like meter readers ask, but they're usually wearing work boots that can be dirtier than most.

Funny story: There's only been a few houses I've entered where taking off shoes was done. I don't like that because I have a bad left foot that needs the arch support, plus, I'm short and I like the added inches. But I digress.. My SIL insists that everyone follows the rule, and yet she allows her nasty ferrets to run amuck crapping everywhere. <rolling eyes>

Well, you describe what I did...'cept I wore silk pants instead of a skirt...and thought I looked fine, but some folks were WAY "dolled up". I just ignored them. :)

I think you were the one with the problem. You dressed "after 5" which is perfectly acceptable for formal night. Formal night is NOT black tie by any means of any of the lines I have been on.

I usually bring a black or brown hankershief style skirt in a poly silk organza that hits mid calf. I wear a dressy top with it, also in either a real silk , faux silk or a taffeta type material. I have not worn a formal evening gown since my first few crusies. After I realized most PAX did not, (even on Princess and HAL) I saw no need to pack such bulky items- and this was BEFORE the airline restrictions-I just did not want to bring one suitcase that would hold only one item.

What about the French restuarant? the other pay extra restuarants? if I wore a poly silk cocktail dress there would I look overdressed? Or should I stick to simple skirts or slacks?

Also I understood that there was one optionial formal night on NCL. Is this no longer true?

I know of several households here in NY (friends and/or relatives) who expect visitors to take their shoes off when entering their home.

I only ask in my home-no high heels on my hardwood floors as they do MAJOR damage- tennis shoes that leaves marks-I do not have a problem-elbow grease will remove them- I do not have a problem cleaning my floors or carpets-I do have a problem though that those floors cost major $$$ and idiots have no idea how their highheels damage them, and act insulted when I ask them to remove them.

I know a friend of ours damaged our floors when they were only about 6 months old-which is why I have that rule now. At her home, she has the almost white carpet and she insists everyone take their shoes off-I have thought of refusing and mucking them up! LOL! After all her carpet could be cleaned fairly inexpensiviely- to repair my floors is a differant story! but I only THINK mean spirted fortunately! I do not voice it!

I really miss formal night. I love the dressing up - it's part of the cruise experience. In an ideal world, I would make formal night come back, and make it compulsory, and make it compulsory for the whole evening.

But back to reality: NCL is not aiming at that market. NCL's market (and much of most other mainstream cruise lines' market) is composed of people for whom dressing up is unusual and uncomfortable, and who find being dressed up makes them desperately self-conscious. Alas, that is too much of the modern world.

So I wouldn't moan about NCL's decision. When I cruise on NCL, it's for reasons other than the cruise experience. When I want a cruise experience, there are plenty of other, better, cruise lines to choose from.

What about the French restuarant? the other pay extra restuarants? if I wore a poly silk cocktail dress there would I look overdressed? Or should I stick to simple skirts or slacks?

Also I understood that there was one optionial formal night on NCL. Is this no longer true?

We just got off the Dawn a week ago. There is still an optional formal night. In the freestyle it states: "it's the night to dress up or not..." I'd say the majority of the passengers did choose to dress up, at least the ones in Venetian. Not formal, but nice dress. I also noticed other passengers in dresses or skirts several other nights of the week. I don't think you'd feel overdressed in Le Bistro, unless it's a really formal cocktail dress.

I have got to say this is exactly how I feel as well. I always thought maybe it was because I am from the South and in the South someone's comfort at dinner was much more important to us than what they were wearing. Especially if you had someone in your home for dinner. The number one rule of a Southern host is to make your guest feel comfortable. I heard Martha Stewart interviewed once where she said she had her guest take off their shoes as they entered her home and I was mortified. Here she is suppose to be the Diva of good taste and entertaining and she asked guest to do that? If I had been one of those guest I would have turned around and left. I would never think of asking a guest to take off their shoes when they enter my house.

Sorry.. I know I got way off subject there. Just trying to say I guess it is all a matter of the culture where you are raised. I do not get the concept of dressing up in a suit JUST for dinner. Is it to show off what you can buy to wear? Is it to see what others can afford to buy and wear? That never mattered to me because I always thought those same people could go home to a cardboard box house. i have seen what some people had on as their formal wear and I KNOW the Calvin Klein jeans I had on cost more than their entire outfit cost.. So as you can see.. I honestly do not get it. Not trying to put anyone down at all. Just saying I honestly do not get it.

Your attitude is NOT unique to the South believe me. November on the Dawn will be our first Cruise EVER and first real vacation after 45 years of marriage (to each other....always have to preface that). Don't really care for pretentious people. We'll wear what got us here. Won't be objectionable by any means...but....won't be hypocritical either. (yep....got the Flame suit too...)

I really miss formal night. I love the dressing up - it's part of the cruise experience. In an ideal world, I would make formal night come back, and make it compulsory, and make it compulsory for the whole evening.

But back to reality: NCL is not aiming at that market. NCL's market (and much of most other mainstream cruise lines' market) is composed of people for whom dressing up is unusual and uncomfortable, and who find being dressed up makes them desperately self-conscious. Alas, that is too much of the modern world.

So I wouldn't moan about NCL's decision. When I cruise on NCL, it's for reasons other than the cruise experience. When I want a cruise experience, there are plenty of other, better, cruise lines to choose from.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. I represent only one type of person that finds the NCL product appealing, and not only do I enjoy dressing up, but my self image and comfort are not reliant on my wardrobe. As for dressing up being 'unusual'... do you wear formalwear daily? Weekly? How often do you have to wear it before it is considered 'usual'? My husband is one of the people who prefers not to dress up. He is neither uncomfortable nor self conscious in formal wear, but he wears dress pants and shirt every day to work and when he's on vacation, he takes advantage of the opportunity to wear something else. The beauty of NCL is that he is free to make that choice for himself.

As for other cruise lines being 'better' than NCL, that's a matter of perspective. I personally believe that NCL is 'better' than most other lines because I am given the freedom to make more of my own choices. 'Better' is relative, because it depends entirely on your personal opinion of what is and isn't important. There are a great many people in the world who consider the best measure of success to be monetary and material wealth, but there are also those who believe it has more to do with academic achievement, artistic expression, or the strength of interpersonal relationships, among other things.

I get so tired of seeing posts that suggest that people who choose not to dress up are somehow inferior - that they don't have 'proper' social skills, that they are 'ignorant', that they are 'low class', or that they are 'uncomfortable and desperately self-conscious'. Personally, I think that someone who believes they have to dress up just because others do is much more 'desperately self-conscious' than someone who feels comfortable the way they are. How does that saying go? An ass in a silk gown is still an ass... well, something like that, anyway. :)

Your attitude is NOT unique to the South believe me. November on the Dawn will be our first Cruise EVER and first real vacation after 45 years of marriage (to each other....always have to preface that). Don't really care for pretentious people. We'll wear what got us here. Won't be objectionable by any means...but....won't be hypocritical either. (yep....got the Flame suit too...)

I love to dress up, but I don't consider myself pretentious or hypocritical in the least. Making assumptions about people based on how they dress goes both ways, and in my opinion, it's all pointless. I do have to tell you, though... it's your choice what you wear, but if you're cruising somewhere warm, the 'Flame suit' might be a bit uncomfortable. :p

I love to dress up, but I don't consider myself pretentious or hypocritical in the least. Making assumptions about people based on how they dress goes both ways, and in my opinion, it's all pointless. I do have to tell you, though... it's your choice what you wear, but if you're cruising somewhere warm, the 'Flame suit' might be a bit uncomfortable. :p

I have posted enough over on the Fashion board to know that the flames go both ways. It does seem to be a 50/50 draw about formal night.

I go with the flow myself. If most on NCL don't participate I certainly will not stress myself about dressing to the nines. I wll bring my cocktail dress though and I will either wear it the optionial fromal night or to the French restuarant. Perhaps we will just do this restuarant on the formal night! That would work!

We really don't care if people dress up or not. My wife and I enjoy dressing up one evening. The only thing I wish NCL would do is set aside one place to eat for those who wish to participate in the formal evening. Just one place that those who are dressed to the nines can go and not sit next to a table of folks dressed in jeans. With all the places available to eat on NCL ships, they really could set aside one for formal only evenings.

I agree. Although we are tired of dressing up on our cruises, we do think that those people who want to spend dinnner in a formal setting should have that opportunity. Perhaps they could offer formal night in one of the main dining rooms but require reservations so they would know which venue to use based on the number of tables reserved. I think a place like "Aqua" on the Dawn or Star would be a good spot.

Perhaps you should pass this suggestion on to NCL.

When we first sailed NCL Dawn, the main dining room did require formal attire on formal night. Perhaps they didn't have a huge turnout and discontinued it, but I do think one of the smaller restaurants would be ideal.

Wow... I had no idea that I could ever be "desperately self-conscious", and even more so by simply wearing a tux. :cool: :rolleyes:

Curious, what "other" reasons do you occasionally choose to cruise on NCL then? :confused:

I'm sitting here admiring the formal portraits that we just had taken on the Sun out of San Francisco on the 21st of Sept. My DH and I enjoy getting dressed to the nines and having formal pictures taken. It really doesn't happen any other time. The fact that others choose not to dress in no way detracts from our experience. To each his own, right?

Kristy

Interesting assumptions. It's a pity they are not based on reality. The VERY high end cruises have a dress code similar to NCL's and I find it a little hard to believe that the people who go on them feel "self conscious" about dressing up. Having been to a few formal events with people like that I can only say that in my opinion "dressing up" in an appropriate situation did not appear to make them "desperately self-conscious". Some people simply don't like to wear formal-wear on vacation.

As for dressing up being 'unusual'... do you wear formalwear daily? Weekly? How often do you have to wear it before it is considered 'usual'? My husband is one of the people who prefers not to dress up. He is neither uncomfortable nor self conscious in formal wear, but he wears dress pants and shirt every day to work and when he's on vacation, he takes advantage of the opportunity to wear something else.
Let's put it like this: It must be "unusual" for anyone who doesn't own a dinner suit/tuxedo. For example, look at all the posts that there used to be, asking whether NCL still did formalwear rentals.
Curious, what "other" reasons do you occasionally choose to cruise on NCL then? :confused:
The company of friends coupled with the fun of specific events on the ship.

But when we cruise with those friends at other times, it's on other cruise lines.

Let's put it like this: It must be "unusual" for anyone who doesn't own a dinner suit/tuxedo. For example, look at all the posts that there used to be, asking whether NCL still did formalwear rentals.

Point taken. :) The demand for formal attire isn't what is used to be anywhere, though. I believe that among my friends, there may be two or three others at most that own floor length gowns, and all of them are older than I am. My sister does not, and believe me, this is a woman who enjoys dressing well. It's interesting now that I think of it... I wear casual clothing with the main goal of comfort most of the time, with no desire to even know who designed or created it, while she wears Gucci, Chanel, and any other high end merchandise she can get her hands on out here in hicksville (thank goodness she travels!). When it's time to dress up, though, I'm the one that goes all out. I still don't know who designed my dress, mind you, but mine is much more likely to hit the floor than hers. :p

Leaving on another cruiseline in less than a month - I am already dreading formal night. In fact there are two formal nights - I choose to dress only one night. I'll go to the buffet - I could care less.

I don't understand. If you "dread" formal night why bother with it at all? There must be other options for you so that you don't have to participate in something you dread. That's not what a vacation is supposed to be about. It's your vacation, do what you want and enjoy it.

Kristy

DH and I have been on a few cruises with Carnival, RCCI and Princess and have always dressed for formal night, but boy are we sure looking forward to NCL with resort casual. We are looking forward to just a relaxing vacation with no worrys of having to pack suits or formal dresses.

To each his own is what we think

Archived