Compass Rewards Program Ends

Host Kewlguy

[quote=Bennett'sCruise;16567521][FONT=Comic Sans MS]This discussion reminds me of the little stinkin' plane we had to use to get from Vancouver, BC to Seattle after our Alaska cruise in 07. It was a prop ... Dash 8! It holds about 16 pax, I think. But, there were only about 8 of us on board that flight. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]... :cool:[/FONT][/quote]

We usually fly one of them from Syracuse to Philly as one leg of our flight to Miami. :eek:

[QUOTE=Bennett'sCruise;16567521][FONT=Comic Sans MS]This discussion reminds me of the little stinkin' plane we had to use to get from Vancouver, BC to Seattle after our Alaska cruise in 07. It was a prop ... Dash 8! It holds about 16 pax, I think. But, there were only about 8 of us on board that flight. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]We got on and I asked the attendant how soon she started serving the drinks (AND I DON'T DRINK!). As soon as we got airborn she gave me some wine ... everytime I turned around my glass was full ... I think she was protecting the other pax. :o HA! Fortunately, that flight lasted only 45 minutes ... but that was 45 minutes out of my life I don't want to relive ... :cool:[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I don't drink either, but have seriously considered it the only time I was ever on a prop plane. It was in Hawaii, years ago -- on what was a fairly new airline. I remember being absolutely scared to death when we landed in Honolulu and I saw one of their planes with the props going around and knew I would have to board one in a few days.... :rolleyes:

It ended up being just fine, but I honestly debated canceling that portion of our trip.

[quote name='Us2inFL']You might be on to something, however since the program is still issuing some kind of "points" they've (NCL) still lived up to their obligation.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question - I couldn't imagine that they weren't going to cover all their bases when they cancelled these rewards. It was great while it lasted!

[quote name='antmilant']I'm sure this was asked before, but I'll ask again there are toooooo many pages to read through and I'm lazy. What happens if I don't redeem my NCL points? Do I lose them or are they converted to world points? Thank You[/QUOTE]
You lose them... or I should say, they don't covert to the new card. No one really knows yet what we will get. Supposedly you'll get a certificate of you have enough points.. the remaining points may or may not be given.

[quote name='RNPJN']It states that "In case of termination of the program, you may continue earning points for 90 days from the date notice of termination of the Program is mailed." My letter is dated October 1st and my December closing date is on the 12th. That is not 90 days, so are they legally allowed to do this? [/QUOTE]

No - they should not be able to do this - the Terms and Conditions are quite clear - 90 days means 90 days. The problem is if they do it, what can we do? It certainly could be the basis of a class action lawsuit for violating their own program rules, but that likely won't get us anything other than a lousy upgrade certificate.

I actually called NCL yesterday and asked the question about what if my billing cycle ends mid-month and I was told that regardless of when the billing cycle ends, I will still get the Compass Rewards points until December 31 for any charges I make on the card. The rep I had on the phone read it off some document that they gave them to answer questions.
Hope that helps.

[quote name='Fufuhase']I actually called NCL yesterday and asked the question about what if my billing cycle ends mid-month and I was told that regardless of when the billing cycle ends, I will still get the Compass Rewards points until December 31 for any charges I make on the card. The rep I had on the phone read it off some document that they gave them to answer questions.
Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

From the letter (and highlighted):

[B]Transactions made after your December 2008 statement closing date will not earn points toward the Compass Rewards program. You will receive Compass Reward Certificate(s) for your remaining points balance by January 31, 2009.[/B]

[quote name='Fufuhase']I [COLOR="Red"][U]actually called NCL [/U][/COLOR]yesterday and asked the question about what if my billing cycle ends mid-month and I was told that regardless of when the billing cycle ends, I will still get the Compass Rewards points until December 31 for any charges I make on the card. The rep I had on the phone read it off some document that they gave them to answer questions.
Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kewlguy'][COLOR="red"][U]From the letter [/U][/COLOR](and highlighted):

[B]Transactions made after your December 2008 statement closing date will not earn points toward the Compass Rewards program. You will receive Compass Reward Certificate(s) for your remaining points balance by January 31, 2009.[/B][/QUOTE]It may be that the legal department decided it wasn't worth the chance of a class action suit. The letter was written a week ago so Dec 31 is probably the 90th day.

IMHO, if there was a class action BoA would lose money, the lawyers on both sides would make money, and the card holders would get a few bucks at best.

Charlie

I just got off the phone with BOA and was told that NO the points Do Not accumulate until the end of Dec.,they end on your billing date which for me is the 8th.This has a big impact on my credit card spending preference,I could have made it to another $500 reward by the end of Dec.. It is very frustrating not getting the same answer twice! They should send another letter out which confirms their position and clear up all this confusion. For me personally,if the end date is the billing cycle date the 2 cards I have are going in a drawer today and that will be the end of my spending with BOA.Too bad for them and me.

[quote name='candygirl27540']I just got off the phone with BOA and was told that NO the points Do Not accumulate until the end of Dec.,they end on your billing date which for me is the 8th.This has a big impact on my credit card spending preference,I could have made it to another $500 reward by the end of Dec.. It is very frustrating not getting the same answer twice! They should send another letter out which confirms their position and clear up all this confusion. For me personally,if the end date is the billing cycle date the 2 cards I have are going in a drawer today and that will be the end of my spending with BOA.Too bad for them and me.[/QUOTE]

Bottom line is I'm going by what the letter states. Not by what anyone else tells me. My closing date is December 1 and that's when I intend on reaching enough points for my next coupon.

[quote name='DDelFarn']Are points credited at the end of a cycle or as soon as you purchase? I think my billing cycle ends on the 24th or so...and I don't want to wait until they mail them out if I get them to mail mine earlier...[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Points are awarded at the end of the period .. because, you could have returns (credits) added to your account so your balance can go up and down.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]You can, however, access your account online at the end of the period, find out how many points you have and call then to cash them in.[/FONT]

[quote name='candygirl27540']I just got off the phone with BOA and was told that NO the points Do Not accumulate until the end of Dec.,they end on your billing date which for me is the 8th.This has a big impact on my credit card spending preference,I could have made it to another $500 reward by the end of Dec.. It is very frustrating not getting the same answer twice! They should send another letter out which confirms their position and clear up all this confusion. For me personally,if the end date is the billing cycle date the 2 cards I have are going in a drawer today and that will be the end of my spending with BOA.Too bad for them and me.[/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you - I'll be at over 400 point probably - and our billing cycle ends Dec. 4th. I'm sure I could make it over the 500 mark if Dec. was included with holiday shopping and all. I feel like we're losing out on a whole additional month! Frustrating!

I actually just got this off the NCL website, so everyone should be fine and everyone will earn points until the end of the month. It's there in writing.

Quote from NCL site:
What if my billing cycle ends mid-month?
You will continue accruing Compass Rewards points through December 31, 2008, regardless of when your December billing cycle ends.

[quote name='Fufuhase']I actually just got this off the NCL website, so everyone should be fine and everyone will earn points until the end of the month. It's there in writing.

Quote from NCL site:
What if my billing cycle ends mid-month?
You will continue accruing Compass Rewards points through December 31, 2008, regardless of when your December billing cycle ends.[/QUOTE]

I'm not finding anything on the NCL.com website (surprise!). Do you happen to have a link to where you found the information?

[quote name='ljrfrm']I'm right there with you - I'll be at over 400 point probably - and our billing cycle ends Dec. 4th. I'm sure I could make it over the 500 mark if Dec. was included with holiday shopping and all. I feel like we're losing out on a whole additional month! Frustrating![/quote]

Our billing cycle ends on the 8th. I was speaking to a BOA rep and telling him basically what you wrote....he hung up on me. :mad:

[quote name='DDelFarn']Are points credited at the end of a cycle or as soon as you purchase? I think my billing cycle ends on the 24th or so...and I don't want to wait until they mail them out if I get them to mail mine earlier...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fufuhase']This is the link

[URL]http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ[/URL][/QUOTE]

Thanks Fufuhase! I found this interesting:

"What happens to my Compass Rewards?

(snip) You will have one year from date of issue to apply the certificates to a booking, but you will be able to use them towards any NCL cruise open for sale."

IF I'M READING THAT RIGHT THE CRUISE COULD WELL BE ONE AFTER THE COUPON EXPIRES :D (so long as we book before the coupon expires-natch) and that makes me happier

Thanks Fufuhase! I found this interesting:

What happens to my Compass Rewards?

You will have one year from date of issue to apply the certificates to a booking, but you will be able to use them towards any NCL cruise open for sale.

IF I'M READING THAT RIGHT THE CRUISE COULD WELL BE ONE AFTER THE COUPON EXPIRES :D (so long as we book before the coupon expires-natch) and that makes me happier

I'm hoping you're reading it right, too! That means we could apply them to a 2010 cruise...

Now, how about this section:

How many certificates will I receive?

Based on your points balance as of December 31, 2008, you will receive certificates in usual increments of 100 and 500 points toward a stateroom upgrade and/or a discount on your cruise.

100 point certificates?? I thought the upgrade ones were 250. What am I missing here?

This is interesting about the new FAQs on the NCL website. The earlier FAQs stated that you would continue to receive points until the December statement closing date, just like the letter we all got said.

But, seems that they have changed the answer and it now states you will continue to earn points through December 31.

I suspect they got LOTS of complaints and confusion, and since the Program's terms and conditions clearly state that you get to earn points for a 90 day period from the date notice of cancellation was sent (which would be December 31), the legal team must have made a decision to make the change. So, that's some good news.

The other good news is that you don't have to sail within a year of the certificate issuance - you only have to apply the certificate to a sailing within the year period. This is a change from the usual and it is a good change.

The only BAD news is that they will not be issuing us cash cerificates for odd amounts between 500 and 1000. So, if you have 976 points, you would get a $500 certificate and a certificate good for a "Two category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom" (400 points) and I suppose you would lose the 76 points. This stinks, because the upgrade certificates are useless, really.

You may very possibly be right. For some reason I was thinking 250, but it really doesn't matter that much. Especially with the sales they've been running lately, where each room in a category (all insides, or all outsides) are the same pricing. An upgrade certificate is totally worthless under those circumstances.

Archived