Information needed on Galveston Port

We took advantage of the WOW sale yesterday and now I have some quesstions. We are leaving out of Galveston in March. Any tips on getting into Galveston? We are flying from Milwuakee & Detroit. Looks like I have to fly into Houston and drive down correct? Not new to cruising but we have never been on RC, any inside tips for Voyager of the Seas? Just saw the Coke string, have to get drinking!

Hobby is closer if you can fly in on SW, the main airport is twice as far away. Most people do shuttles.

There are a few hotels now taking reservations for next year that are still under renovation. Im sure folks on your roll call will have lots of suggestions too. Im going 4/5, cant wait. You will love Voyager. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Thanx firefly 333,I know the people from Detroit can come in on SW, I think Milwaukee has to go down to Chicago, but that is still a possibility. Anyone out there fly into New Orleans? Any inside secrets to Voyager? You know the "don't miss this" list? This happened so fast yesterday, we didn't even check out the ship. We have a guaranteed balcony right now. Usually we cruise on Celebrity and use the CC class. What is comparable to that on RCI, and is it worth it?

Unless you have a lot of extra time on your hands you don't want to fly to New Orleans for a cruise out of Galveston.

Hobby (HOU) is the closest - about 45 minutes to an hour away from Galveston. It is served by Southwest, JetBlue, Airtran, Delta, and American.

George Bush (IAH) is about 1.5 to 2 hours away from Galveston. Most of the majors fly into here, and it is a Continental hub.

Hertz has a drop off location for rental cars at the port that's open on Sunday's and one down the street on other days

I tried to make a reservation but it said that location was not available

does anyone know if it was damaged by Ike?

Also, a one way rental for a Sunday seems to be $174 which seem crazy to me as I've rented cars from hertz for a whole week cheaper than that

IAH, north of Houston, is 60 miles from Galveston and is the hub for Continental. All major airlines use IAH. Hobby is on the near south side of Houston and is 40 miles from Galveston. Hobby is mainly for Southwest but other airlines have a few flights landing at HOU. Both have shuttle service to the cruise terminal in Galveston. There is taxi service also. The Conquest and Ecstasy was at sea when Ike hit. All the parked autos that belonged to the pax were destroyed.

Generally if you rent a car at one location and return it at another there will be a service charge and it is usually not cheap! Several times I have had to rent a car to travel from Houston to San Antonio or vice versa due to canceled flights. The cost was $130 for 24 hours.

Due to extensive damage to Galveston and the cruise terminals, carnivore is currently using Bayport in Houston. There is a lot of speculation as to when the cruise terminals will actually be open and accepting ships. Bayport is a brand new $81 million cruise terminal without any cruise ships. Galveston has two terminals that are converted warehouses with minimal conversion (rustic). A travel columnist for the Sunday Dallas paper said in his column that the VOS was returning in December to Bayport and not Galveston. Keep your options open.

Due to extensive damage to Galveston and the cruise terminals, carnivore is currently using Bayport in Houston. There is a lot of speculation as to when the cruise terminals will actually be open and accepting ships. Bayport is a brand new $81 million cruise terminal without any cruise ships. Galveston has two terminals that are converted warehouses with minimal conversion (rustic). A travel columnist for the Sunday Dallas paper said in his column that the VOS was returning in December to Bayport and not Galveston. Keep your options open.

Do you really believe a news writer in Dallas over the folks closer to the situation in Galveston who are saying VOS will be in Galveston?

I'll be interested in hearing how your Dancer Liveaboard cruise goes...I really like Cairns Dive Center for GBR off Cairns Australia for my live aboard time.

If you do not rent a car, give Galveston Limo a try. We drive so have not used them, but only hear good things. They use vans, which means no waiting to fill a bus either at the airport or on your return from the port.

Hotels, restaurants and local attractions are opening very quickly! Crews are already repairing the Carnival terminal and will begin on the RCU terminal later this week or next. These are shell buildings tht will require new sheet rock, paint, ticket counters and furniture. The buildings are structurally sound so they are not being "rebuilt"

Galveston is recovering, long way to go, but they are not about to lose a major income source to the island by letting Houston take their bread and butter away!!

For updates, give the Galveston web site.

Do you really believe a news writer in Dallas over the folks closer to the situation in Galveston who are saying VOS will be in Galveston?

I'll be interested in hearing how your Dancer Liveaboard cruise goes...I really like Cairns Dive Center for GBR off Cairns Australia for my live aboard time.

I was just passing on the information and have no idea why he said it. I did make me curious however. The people in Galveston may believe that the VOS and carnival ships are returning and they could be correct. However, Houston is sitting there with a brand new $81 million cruise terminal, which is way nicer than Galveston's and it is in full operation. I fully believe that Houston is doing everything in their power to steal the ships from Galveston. Houston is able to sweeten the deal with the almighty dollar while Galveston is cash strapped now due to Ike. I have heard rumors both on CC and on the VOS that RCL has told Galveston to do something about their terminal or they would move. I am positive that Houston is continuing to put the squeeze on Galveston now that their terminal is ready. Stay tuned.

I was on the Sun Dancer in Palau several years ago. I have been on other dancers and the Sun Dancer is the nicest of the PHD boats. I have also been on Explorer and Aggressor boats. I have always liked the PHD boats better than the other two. Several years ago I was on the Belize Aggressor so it will be a return trip to Belize.

I was just passing on the information and have no idea why he said it. I did make me curious however. The people in Galveston may believe that the VOS and carnival ships are returning and they could be correct. However, Houston is sitting there with a brand new $81 million cruise terminal, which is way nicer than Galveston's and it is in full operation.

I fully believe that Houston is doing everything in their power to steal the ships from Galveston. Houston is able to sweeten the deal with the almighty dollar while Galveston is cash strapped now due to Ike. I have heard rumors both on CC and on the VOS that RCL has told Galveston to do something about their terminal or they would move. I am positive that Houston is continuing to put the squeeze on Galveston now that their terminal is ready. Stay tuned..

If you have read about the actual experiences of getting on and off Conquest and Ecstasy, you know they are short parking spaces to the point after the folks fill up the grass, then they have to shuttle folks to remote locations, they obviously didnt plan parking yet for even 2 ships.

If Voyager had to also be added to the mix, parking would be even crazier. They are getting in later than planned and leaving much later, its been crazy, even though folks are patient, ships are not able to make the time schedules. Conquest was told instead of arriving at 8 am, they are arriving at 9 am to allow time to get up to Houston. When you figure it takes a few hours to get folks off the ship, its already Noon, and the line to get on the ship is tied up in knots for hours now. As a permanent solution, folks wouldnt put up with this, there would have to be some changes to make this work .... and now you say Houston is all ready to add Voyager. I would disagree based on what Iv read of the disembarkation and embarkation of passengers happening on the Conquest.

Maybe you are assuming Carnival goes back to Galveston, leaving RCL to be alone in Houston?

I was on the Sun Dancer in Palau several years ago. I have been on other dancers and the Sun Dancer is the nicest of the PHD boats. I have also been on Explorer and Aggressor boats. I have always liked the PHD boats better than the other two. Several years ago I was on the Belize Aggressor so it will be a return trip to Belize.

Thanks for the info on the dive boats...my impression as Dance was tops of the two.

There is a new boat, I forget which company, over in the Maldives, would love to get a week on that from Santa to use in the Spring...before it gets too hot there...being in Houston it is a two hop here to Dubai and then on to Male to get there so that part is not so bad.

Agree Houston will push to keep POH working the cruise traffic but it will be a matter of time...and there are existing contracts in place with Galveston that at least in the case of RCCL may not be able to have changes made since the port should be open when VOS arrives. I could see where CCL may have an out of their contract with POG that would allow them to move...but as someone else said it does take a bit of sailing to get into port of Houston Cruise Terminal.

Probably easier to just sail the river walk for a weekend cruise this weekend!:D

We cruised Voyager this past Spring (3/30) and enjoyed every minute of it - great ship! Don't miss the ice show in Studio B. And we really enjoyed some of the evening parades/activities in the Promenade. Also, there is a "peep deck", I think on deck 11, where you can look into the bridge area. Our favorite area is the solarium pool area - no kids, great bar and two wonderful hot tubs to relax in the afternoons after port activities.

If you can, fly into Hobby - much closer to Galveston. We did two separate Hertz car rentals pre and post cruise. Pre cruise, our party of six picked up a 7 passenger van Thursday evening at Hobby and returned it Sunday morning at Galveston Hertz. Our driver took a shuttle back to the terminal. Upon return the following Sunday, same driver picked up another van and was back at the terminal 10 minute later. The one way rental from Galveston back to Hobby for a 7 passenger van was $106 including taxes and fees. Overall, the Hertz rental worked out well. Just be sure to make reservations before hand.

Continued prayers and best wishes for recovery to all of those affected by Ike.

When we booked this cruise, I was on the phone with the TA, she had RCL on the other line on speaker phone, so I could hear what he was saying. She asked about the port, he told her their intention is to be up and running in Nov. they have people there 24/7 working to get it going. I am confussed by the description of disembarkation in Galveston, was that before IKE? Is it always that congested? In booking a flight sounds like I need to make it late afternoon to be on the safe side.

When we booked this cruise, I was on the phone with the TA, she had RCL on the other line on speaker phone, so I could hear what he was saying. She asked about the port, he told her their intention is to be up and running in Nov. they have people there 24/7 working to get it going. I am confussed by the description of disembarkation in Galveston, was that before IKE? Is it always that congested? In booking a flight sounds like I need to make it late afternoon to be on the safe side.

Last March, our disembarkation from Voyager in Galveston was slow - we did self-disembark, group 2 (out of 4), were called at 7:30 am, got right in line, and we did not clear customs until a little after 9:00 am. We had a noon flight out of Hobby which we made in plenty of time. Some people say that a lot of self-disembarking passengers try to carry too much luggage and have to use the elevator which backs up the line. But in our case, the backup was not caused by passengers waiting to use the elevator, but by not having enough customs agents, along with the terminal agents allowing passengers claiming luggage to cut in line in front of the self-disembarking passengers to clear customs.

The Port of Houston was a bond issue, shoved down the throats of the folks of Houston, it was bundled into a ton of other things. So it sits there...getting some use right now but do you really think that Galveston will give up their contracts, port fees, sales tax, entertainment dollars?

Nope.....

Expect to see Galveston hosting cruise ships as long as ship embark from Texas.

Today's Galveston Daily News states that the Lone Star Bike Rally will be postponed until mid-December. http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=76625cce04822621

Recovery workers and island residents are exhausted!

Imagine, if you will, having your home nearly destroyed by a catastrophe and then, despite how weary (physically and emotionally) you are from working to make it liveable again, you are expected to throw a huge party for a group of hearty revelers while your home is still in disrepair.

Postponing this event was a great decision, IMHO! I only wonder if this is a precursor of more postponements.....

I understand the need to postpone, but I also heard the bikers really wanted to come down to Galveston to spend money thinking it would help the local economy.

I hope the delay is not a forecast for other delays, like you said.

Just amazed at how much they have gotten done so far.

I understand the need to postpone, but I also heard the bikers really wanted to come down to Galveston to spend money thinking it would help the local economy.

I hope the delay is not a forecast for other delays, like you said.

Just amazed at how much they have gotten done so far.

I totally agree...the restoration is going amazingly well....and fast!

I just don't think they are ready to throw a party for "company" just yet....

We'll see what that means for the cruise terminals. I'm pulling for Galveston by Jan. 1! The Port of Houston didn't look at all ready for two big ships last week! There was not nearly enough secure parking!

If you have read about the actual experiences of getting on and off Conquest and Ecstasy, you know they are short parking spaces to the point after the folks fill up the grass, then they have to shuttle folks to remote locations, they obviously didnt plan parking yet for even 2 ships.

If Voyager had to also be added to the mix, parking would be even crazier. They are getting in later than planned and leaving much later, its been crazy, even though folks are patient, ships are not able to make the time schedules. Conquest was told instead of arriving at 8 am, they are arriving at 9 am to allow time to get up to Houston. When you figure it takes a few hours to get folks off the ship, its already Noon, and the line to get on the ship is tied up in knots for hours now. As a permanent solution, folks wouldnt put up with this, there would have to be some changes to make this work .... and now you say Houston is all ready to add Voyager. I would disagree based on what Iv read of the disembarkation and embarkation of passengers happening on the Conquest.

Maybe you are assuming Carnival goes back to Galveston, leaving RCL to be alone in Houston?

I was simply commenting on the situation as it now stands. Bayport is a new terminal and they are having the usual pains in getting it going. Bayport was not expecting to be used so soon when it was thrust upon them. They will work it out. As for ships arriving late, they need to factor in the trip up the ship channel. It sounds like they have not.

It is only good business sense that Houston takes advantage of the situation and steals one or more cruise ships from Galveston. Both lines may have a contract with Galveston, but contracts can be broken. I have no idea what the contracts say or how long they are. Either port is fine with me since I drive over there and they are about 40 miles apart. However I have never been impressed with the port facilities in Galveston. I find them to be very rustic at best. Personally I like to stay in Clear Lake.

Baltimore had a contract with the Colts football team to play in Baltimore where they had for years. Indianapolis wanted them and literally stole them in the dead of night. The Colts broke their contract with Baltimore. It cost them money but evidentally Indianapolis helped them in kind. It happens. It can happen in Galveston. Time of course will tell what will result.

I was simply commenting on the situation as it now stands. Bayport is a new terminal and they are having the usual pains in getting it going. Bayport was not expecting to be used so soon when it was thrust upon them. They will work it out. As for ships arriving late, they need to factor in the trip up the ship channel. It sounds like they have not........Either port is fine with me since I drive over there and they are about 40 miles apart. However I have never been impressed with the port facilities in Galveston. I find them to be very rustic at best. Personally I like to stay in Clear Lake.

I totally agree....it looks like the Port of Houston has plenty of space for parking. It just isn't ready yet, as they were not expecting cruise ships to be calling at this point. There terminal itself looks beautiful, although we have not been inside, so can't say for sure.

Galveston's parking is fine, but the terminal is woefully inadequate as far as space for the number of passenger on a ship the size of Voyager.

Archived