Why do so many members not say where they are from?

franu

I totally agree!

It's nice to see where posters live.

I have met interesting people and even made friends with those who post here, from all over the world.

Can't see anything wrong with giving State or at least Country.:confused: It is hardly classified information is it. I think it is kind of interesting to see where folks come from

Yes. I remember countless articles from people's identities being stolen because they listed their real home state next to their assumed alias nickname on an online forum. :rolleyes:

That was sarcasm btw. Hi! My name is Mantis and I'm from Michigan! Nice to meet you.

Some poor unsuspecting person may end up with calls intended for you. Just tell the clerk your number is unlisted or you don't want to give it for privacy reasons.

It's actually a joke. 867-5309 is a song title from the popular Tommy Tutone song from the early 1980's.

Watchout if your kids are on facebook then.

I joined so I could keep in contact with my son when he went overseas. A few ladies from work requested to be my friend.

I took a sicky to go sky diving. The next week one of the ladies says "WOW loved you sky diving photos". What the . . .

Turns out my daughter posted the photos on her facebook page. She tagged a photo of me so everyone of my friends got sent a message "(Daughter's name) has tagged a photo of (my name)".

I originally had my town and Date of birth but took that off.

Having read these boards on a regular basis I often wonder because of a posting or answer, where does this poster live. This question really doesn't give anyone your address but may state which country, province/state or city. You can be as vague as you want but it really makes me wonder why this information is withheld.

Fran

Most of us are over 60 and cant remember:confused:

Having read these boards on a regular basis I often wonder because of a posting or answer, where does this poster live. This question really doesn't give anyone your address but may state which country, province/state or city. You can be as vague as you want but it really makes me wonder why this information is withheld.

Fran

too much personal information

Having been subjected to internet based stalking, I agree that people should be as non-specific as possible. "My" stalker, who has been banned more than once but has returned to these boards again, once attempted to get my booking number through a roll call stating that they would like to be dine with us, when their intent was to mess around with our booking and to access personal information posted on line. Fortunately the attempt was rather poorly executed.

This is not a reason to distrust anyone, and I don't recommend isolating oneself. Just be aware that there are some nutcases out there who need to be handled cautiously.

When I first started on cruise critic, I looked at the name of the person posting, and where they were from. I realize everything could be made up, but , when I asked a specific question from anything from cruising to vacation areas, I usually listen to those who reponded when I knew where they were from. (jumbled trying to get point across).

Also, there was once a thread, to explain your thread name, and that in itself was very fun to read.

Besides, I must be the only cruise critic member from Vienna, Ohio, and it is a real city! I have yet to meet someone from these boards from my home town (Springsteen) (sp).

So if anyone wants to know about Vienna, drop me a line.

Later

It's actually a joke. 867-5309 is a song title from the popular Tommy Tutone song from the early 1980's.

That is an active phone number in many areas. Someone gave out our number and it took about five years to stop calls intended for the other person. Please, please just decline to give any phone number. See article at http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/8675309.asp

Some of us don't give information because we live in small towns and/or have unique names. I don't care to advertise when we will be away from our house.

Hey isn't that Jenny's #?? LOL ;)

Anyway, I guess I never thought about it. I guess I could add to profile I'm frim Illinois:)

That is an active phone number in many areas. Someone gave out our number and it took about five years to stop calls intended for the other person. Please, please just decline to give any phone number. See article at http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/8675309.asp

Some of us don't give information because we live in small towns and/or have unique names. I don't care to advertise when we will be away from our house.

I dont' give that phone number out to anyone. I just wrote that number in the forum as a joke. And added the area code so people would know I was in the Atlanta area.

I dont' give that phone number out to anyone. I just wrote that number in the forum as a joke. And added the area code so people would know I was in the Atlanta area.

Don't worry, I think most of us around a certain age got the joke. My only problem now is that since reading your post I can't get the song out of my head!

While I'd guess with most people it's just that they didn't know to fill in the line, I think saying that people that are concerned about the privacy issue are paranoid is definitely not true. I don't think most people realize just how much information they might have available on the internet about them, and someone competant can dig that out pretty quick. Now, couple that with the fact that this is a cruise board, and a fair number of people here also list what cruises they're going on in the future. The average cruiser is probably also somewhat above average in economic status. So now you've just created a large forum that shows when people who have a reasonable amount of free money aren't going to be in their house.

If you think that's paranoid, well, it's not. There's enough information in this one post of mine that someone with a clue could figure out my home address in a matter of minutes (*). A few minutes after that they could know how much I paid for my house. From there, it would take a little more effort to dig up the number of tivos I have in my house, and probably what tv I have. A determined person could probably figure out what remote I use for my tv. Think that sounds crazy? I picked out those few items because I know exactly how someone can follow the trail to determine them.

Now obviously, the average thief isn't going to go through the effort to figure all that out, but even being able to do a simple search through a site like this to determine what state someone's from and when they'd be on a cruise, that could give them a starting point on people to look at more carefully to find home addresses.

(* Now, admittedly, some choices I've made about what I put in my posts here to make it significantly easier to figure out things like my home address. So obviously I'm not one that's overly paranoid about the information I have out on the net. My point is more that regardless of whether you put the info here on this board, there's a fair chance it's out there somewhere on the net for someone to find if they truly want to.)

Archived