Cruise Price Reductions

Jaycue52

HELP! Somewhere here on CruiseCritic, I saw something about the policies of each cruise line regarding refunding the cost of the cruise if the price drops. Could somebody point me to that article/thread? I saw it on here previously, but now am unable to locate it. Thank you!:)

HELP! Somewhere here on CruiseCritic, I saw something about the policies of each cruise line regarding refunding the cost of the cruise if the price drops. Could somebody point me to that article/thread? I saw it on here previously, but now am unable to locate it. Thank you!:)

I haven't seen that post.

Did you book with a TA? Or the line directly? Most lines will give the discounted price up to the final payment date. At that point, there may or may not be the opportunity to get the credit. If you have an agent, you need to work with them to get it for you. Some agents will instead end up giving you an obc after the final payment date.

If you have a particular line you are interested in, I'd call to see what the "official" restrictions are on those credits. Also ask your question on the specific cruiseline board here and find out what the average passenger was able to get, if anything, after the final date.

Most cruiselines add special discounts close to the cruise date restricted to NEW bookings only. Those you can not get obviously if already booked. (But those passengers take whatever is left as far as room choice, dining seating etc. )

If your cruise fare goes down BEfORE your final payment date, you can call and get your fare reduced. Most cruiselines will not adjust prices after your final payment date. Those "sale" prices are for new bookings only.

If your cruise fare goes down BEfORE your final payment date, you can call and get your fare reduced. Most cruiselines will not adjust prices after your final payment date. Those "sale" prices are for new bookings only.

This is true.

I would add is that price reductions sometimes do extend to passengers after final payment. This happened to us on Celebrity last year, so it is best to check with the cruiseline concerned.

Smooth sailing always...

RCCL and Celebrity are very good about extending price reductions to already booked passengers after final payment. The only exceptions are sale specials for new bookings only. Multiple times I've been able to get money back after final payment due to a price reduction by RCCL.

I have received credit after final due date on Celebrity, as the other poster stated also. Once in cash and once in OBC. We use a TA and she has served us well.

How long before the cruise date is the final payment usually due?

Just wondering as I will be booking last minute for my cruise next year.

April/May in Europe somewhere.

Thanks

Depends on the length of the cruise. For instance on Carnival 4/5 days has a different final date than 7 day cruises.

How long before the cruise date is the final payment usually due?

Just wondering as I will be booking last minute for my cruise next year.

April/May in Europe somewhere.

Thanks

Final payment is anywhere between 70-90 days prior to sailing, depending on the cruiseline and itinerary.

We are traveling from Alaska to the W. Caribbean in March and I have only put my deposit down and have seen the price drop twice on a balcony stateroom. Each time I have called Carnival and asked that the reduction be credited to my balance and they have been happy to oblige.

Next I am going to ask about the Onboard Credits that the other websites advertise.

It never hurts to ask.

There is a poster on the Celebrity site now very unhappy about a sale for new bookings only that would not be honored as a price drop. The only reason I mention this - cruise lines seem to be doing alot of the new bookings only this fall. So if you can be flexible, it may pay to wait. NOTE I did say flexible. If you are not because of schedule, cabin selection etc. book when you need to.

To answer the OP, you need to search on the board for your cruiseline, you will find many posts relating how people were treated on your cruiseline, it does vary. Hopefully after you research the current state on your cruiseline, you will be able to decide what to do. Good Luck.

With carnival they will offer you an onboard credit for the difference after final payment as long as you are more than 14 days out from your cruise. However you need to make sure that the fuel surcharge, port fees, etc is the same rate, if you booked with a lower fuel surcharge it may not be any cheaper. Just call and ask them about their lowest price guaranteed policy. If you go through a TA you must have your TA call.

Archived