Books on Tape?

Mahogany

We will be on the Pride this fall. My husband is visually impaired, so traditional books and DVD's are out of the question. Does the ship Library have audio books: history, fiction, etc. - that we can play in the suite?

:oDoes that title date me! Books on tape? I meant CD's, of course, since it's almost impossible to find an audio book on a cassette anymore. In a description of the suites on the Seabourn website, they list amenities such as audio books. But you're right. I should probably bring some CD audio books from home which hopefully are compatible with the radio/CD player in the suite.

Mahogany

You might call Seabourn and inquire ~~I think this would be an excellent idea to bring audio books for your husband. I pick up audio books when I drive long distances ~~surely makes the trip alot more pleasant and less tiring.

I will be on the Pride Oct. 16th and will be happy to ask the Ex. Housekeeper as to the audio books and if the CD's will be compatible with the CD player in the suite. I'll return Nov. 12th and will post her answers. ~~I hope this will help.:p

Martita B.

CDs are the same the world over and can be played on any cd player and actually most DVD players as well (audio only, of course).

DVDs, for whatever reason, are specific to a particular area of the world. however, I have found that most ships have DVD players that can handle multiple international formats.

I am an avid audio book listener (they sure help during 20 mile runs). I suggest that you look into an IPod or similar device and audible.com. The site (paid) claims they have 50,000 books from current best sellers to classics available for purchase either through subscription or by the book. You are also able to preview each book so you can decide if you like the narrator. The process of downloading the books and transferring them to your audio device is simple. Depending on the storage capacity of the audio device, you can store quite a few lengthy books. Books beyond your storage capacity can be stored on your computer, and any books you purchase are always available for download or re-download in your "library" on their web site.

Steve

Is your husband eligible for the services of the National Library Service for the Blind? If so, they are now providing books in digital audio format. The books can be played on a special MP3 player (about $300). The audio books are free to qualified people.

I suggest that you look into an IPod
I second the iPod idea. You can then go on iTunes.com and get all sorts of books and radio shows. For example I download NPR's "Car Talk" shows and listen on my iPod. In addition you can use a cable to connect your iPod to the Bose in your cabin on SB.

Finally, I would suggest using the "iPod Nano" model, which has features specifically for the vision impared. Some MP3 players require sight to operate, but the Nano use audios tones and spoken menus for navigation, and has very tactile keys.

The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) has applauded Apple's move to make iTunes and iPods accessible to blind and visually impaired people, saying, "The iPod nano ... is now equipped with talking menus ... Apple has also made improvements to the accessibility of iTunes."

And it doesn't hurt that the Nano is one of their least expensive models ;)

Hi Mahogany,

I'm a reader for the visually impaired here in Texas and I totally agree that going with an Ipod Nano and downloading from iTunes is the best way to travel (and very cost efficient when you consider how much luggage weight is costing these days!)

Happy Sails,

Joy

Archived