GTY assignments

What if you booked the "Guarantee" cabin category because it was the only choice? Will it take longer then? I don't really understand how that works. Do they hold some cabins back in each category? Or will they "upgrade" someone else in that category so make room for us?

Typically, there is a domino effect to upgrades as it is easier to sell off lower priced cabins later in the game.

I read on the website that rooms were assigned after final payment - but that would be different from other cruiselines so I was wondering what the actual experience of the CC board was.

We only booked GTY twice, and then gave up on the concept because we did not receive an upgrade on either occaision. The first time we were given the worst stateroom in the category. Both times we were given room assignments well before final payment. It's just as easy to pick a stateroom and your chances of an upgrade are just about the same.

We only booked GTY twice, and then gave up on the concept because we did not receive an upgrade on either occaision. The first time we were given the worst stateroom in the category. Both times we were given room assignments well before final payment. It's just as easy to pick a stateroom and your chances of an upgrade are just about the same.
If you booked a GTY for the upgrade, you were booking for the wrong reason. A GTY should be booked because it's cheaper or because it's all that's available in a category you want. Getting an upgrade should be considered gravy.

I've booked several gty's and have never received an upgrade. That's ok though because it's always been the cheapest option & I'm not picky about my cabin location. I'd recommend only booking a gty if you have no expectations for anything more than you paid for in fees.

Thank you for the lecture, Blue, you are also entitled to your opinion, without saying that others are "wrong". Our GTY experiments were 5 cruises ago. The OP asked for experiences with them. Your relatives should be happy with any of the balconies, especially if they have no others to to compare it to.

We booked a GTY on the Jewel in July for our cruise in Jan. Early Oct our cabin number had been posted on our reservation (RCI web page - guest registration)! We pay our final next week. We were very surprised and happy with our assignment so early. Big plus - we are traveling with 2 other couples and we were assigned cabins next to each other!

Thank you for the lecture, Blue, you are also entitled to your opinion, without saying that others are "wrong". Our GTY experiments were 5 cruises ago. The OP asked for experiences with them. Your relatives should be happy with any of the balconies, especially if they have no others to to compare it to.
You're welcome. :)

Archived