Upgrade from IS to V8 on Holiday...worth $625?

Stacy_C

We leave for our first ever cruise on Saturday (Carnival Holiday). I received a call from Carnival offering an discounted upgrade from our Interior Stateroom (Empress level) to a Verandah Suite (V8) for $125 per person. I have five people in my family, so that equals $625. My original cruise price was $1360, this would make my new price $1985. In your opinion, is the bigger room, balcony, fridge, closet, bigger bathroom, whirlpool tub, VIP status/check-in and concierge worth the additional $625?

FWIW, after receiving the offer, I priced the Verandah room online and was given a quote of $3070.50 for the same exact room.

Thanks!

Stacy

So is having your own lifeboat worth the extra money? lol :D

LOL I don't feel it is. Carnival is trying to upsell you. Any newer ships that has a lot of balconys you can get a better deal. ( and no lifeboat). You have a good sense of humor. I like that. Have a great cruise

I believe what Alex is trying to tell you is V8 is obstructed view.........the lifeboat is in the way.......

No, I got it. I was just wondering if (even with that drawback) if the upgrade/upsell was something worth considering.

As I said before, we are a family of 5 (dh, me, ds-13, dd-7, dd-3) and I wondered if the extra space and of course the balcony would be a good value for us at $625.

Thanks!

You will be cramped in a inside stateroom with 5 people. If you can afford the extra money I would take it.

This point is huge. Five people in an inside is going to be really cramped. I'd go with the suite if you can afford it. View or not, just the extra space for 5 people would be worth it to me.

Are all 5 people in one room? I have seen people say it is possible, but I saw in the inside room across the hall from us and I can't imagine how it works with 5 people. I would think any added sq. ft. would be worth it, if it's within your budget at all. Have fun! We took our first cruise on the Holiday in July/August and we had a grea time. It sounds like a good deal... I think we paid about $1300 for just the two of us.

Thanks for the responses! I've decided to go for it based mainly on the size/space issue. Like another poster said, every extra bit of space will help. My 13 year old son is almost 6 feet tall, so our party make-up is basically 3 adults and 2 kids with regards to size. I hope it will be a good set up for us -- if anything, I think it will be an improvement over the smaller Interior Stateroom with no view. Thanks again for the words of wisdom! :)

The suites on the Holiday are very small and the balcony is tiny.

I wouldnt do it.

I've not been on the Holiday, Doxies, are they the same size as the regular inside or outside rooms? We are thinking of doing a Holiday trip next September. Sorry to hijack :o TIA

Thanks for the responses! I've decided to go for it based mainly on the size/space issue. Like another poster said, every extra bit of space will help. My 13 year old son is almost 6 feet tall, so our party make-up is basically 3 adults and 2 kids with regards to size. I hope it will be a good set up for us -- if anything, I think it will be an improvement over the smaller Interior Stateroom with no view. Thanks again for the words of wisdom! :)

You made a wise choice. Having five, even in a regular balcony room would be very tight and you would not be happy. I am suprised your TA even let you book an inside for 5; shame on him/her. With the suite and balcony which gives you even more room you will be much more comfortable. We had a blacony room for 2 adults and 1 child and that was cramped. Enjoy the upgrade and your cruise. Kaboochi ps - how do I get an upgrade call from Carnival!?!?!

Great pics of V8. Just by coincidence, thats the exact cabin my brother and his wife will be in on our 11/27 on the Holiday. We are going to be in V7.

By chance, you did you happen to take any pics showing the 'obstructed' view or any of the inside of the room? Trying to show my brother exactly what he is in store for :D It will be his first cruise and our second (both on the Holiday, for now ;) )

Thanks!

Here's the description of V8 on the Holiday:

Cabin V8 (12 VER4) 374/87 sq ft

Beds: twin/king-double sofabed rab:1

View: window and obstructed large balcony

connecting balconies: no

TV; telephone; 110 AC current; individual climate control; wall safe; unstocked refrigerator; shower/tub/whirlpool; walk-in closet;

sitting area consisting of an L-shaped sofa, 2-armchairs and coffee table.

Judy

Archived