Want Something Done Right? Get Texan To Do It!

TEXASMUNK

What rental company did you use? We had rented a beach front home on Crystal Beach for Thanksgiving and sadly the house is g-o-n-e! I know I will get my deposit back but sure would like to rent a house as it is my twins birthday too! Thanks!

Hi Karenh1127, I am so glad you are getting your deposit back. A friend of mine rents a house in Galveston or Bolivar once are twice a year every year. The one they had rented for October in Bolivar is gone. The owner has said he would send 1/2 the deposit back and no refund for the rent for the week. They now have to get an attorney because it was well over a $1,000. for the rent and they have still not seen the 1/2 of the deposit amount either. :(

Karen 1127,

We rented in Beachside Village on the West Beach through Realty Executives 1-800-324-6364 (They don't have their phones in full service yet and are working with forwarded calls to their cell phones so contacting them is still a bit "off and on"). They were willing to refund all our deposit if we decided not to come over Thanksgiving. The house had only minor damage on the bottom level (garage/storage) and we are happy to be going.

We found the house on the web. There are several sites, including http://www.vrbo.com/ (Vacation Rental by Owner) that list lots of Galveston properties. Guess at this point you would just need to send off some emails and see who was still renting. Bet lots of people are cancelling so there are probably available properties out there. Good luck.

Just returned from Galveston. We drove down to check on our Thanksgiving beach house (it is, by the way, awesome!!). This was our first trip since Ike and I guess the thing that struck me the most was the lack of vegetation. All the trees are leafless and the salt water damaged all the shrubs and grass. The entire city is brown!

There is still a lot of debris everywhere but the folks down there are working very hard to get their city back. They have done amazingly well considering there have only been +/-5 weeks to repair and restore. Most motels and restaurants on the Seawall/south side of the island are open and doing well. It is the Bay/north/Strand area that currently shows the most damage.

The thing that will impact cruisers the most is the damage to the Strand area which is adjacent to the cruise terminals. That area got lots of water and right now is rather like a "ghost town". All the buildings are still standing but had to be essentially "gutted" to the studs. It will be awhile until the area comes back but I have no doubt that it will - and that it will be better than ever. Anyone cruising out of Galveston over the next 4-6 months, however, must be a bit patient and "forgiving" of less than perfect conditions.

Yes a lot of greenery has died. Our back yard is dead and bare. Palms have faired well. The city is watering the oak trees on Broadway hoping to save them.

Yes Still lots of trash. But the subcontract haulers are doing a wonderfull

job removing it. There is just a lot of it.

Broadway is full of it, but now have learned the responsibility for removal of trash is the states, since it HW State 45. The mayor is quite upset over it, since there are a couple of things happening soon, and it needs to be clean.

Like the causeway will be have dignitaries down soon for ribbon cutting

for new side opening.

Downtown!!!!!!! Well you said it very well.:eek:

We are going to Original Mexican

on 14th....... tonight for dinner and MARGARITAS:D

Yes a lot of greenery has died. Our back yard is dead and bare. Palms have faired well. The city is watering the oak trees on Broadway hoping to save them.

Yes Still lots of trash. But the subcontract haulers are doing a wonderfull

job removing it. There is just a lot of it.

Broadway is full of it, but now have learned the responsibility for removal of trash is the states, since it HW State 45. The mayor is quite upset over it, since there are a couple of things happening soon, and it needs to be clean.

Like the causeway will be have dignitaries down soon for ribbon cutting

for new side opening.

Downtown!!!!!!! Well you said it very well.:eek:

We are going to Original Mexican

on 14th....... tonight for dinner and MARGARITAS:D

PLEASE have a margarita for me and a side of their wonderful guacamole!!! ;)

Pam

Hello and yeehah from fellow Texas fans in England. We travelled to Houston earlier this year for a TA cruise out of Galveston and loved it so much we decided to return next year. We'll be flying from Manchester into San Antonio (we also despise Heathrow) a week before the cruise so we can make our way slowly to Galveston, then spend a few days there before the cruise.

We have met so many wonderful Texans it is of no surprise to us that you are all working your stetsons off to get Galveston back on track.

See y'all next year

Carol (and Dean)

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you, Rancher Dave. We live in Chambers County (Anahuac) and appreciate all that the volunteers have done.

Dana

I've got two teams going over to Oak Island tomorrow (11/22)...I am unable to go myself but may be there mid December with another team.

Thanks.. Thanks...Thanks:D:D:D

Thought you'd like to read an e-mail from one of our nursing faculty who just returned from volunteering post-IKE. I hope your state's recovery is speedy and complete. And I'll do my part and book a cruise out of Galveston. :D

Katink

Hello to All my Friends and Relatives,

If you wonder where I have been or even care - I have just returned home from 3 weeks deployment to Texas volunteering with the Red Cross for Hurricane IKE. What an experience!!! 20 days, 16 hours a day, with one day off and it hadn't been for the Para-Medic/Fireman from Weslaco and Angleton Texas we would have been working nights too. They were such a help and great personalities that made us laugh and reduced the stress.

I was so fortunate to pair up with a super RN from Seattle, Wash. Carla was the bomb and we hit it off immediately. We covered three shelters in Brazalton County, close to Galveston Texas and drove between all three. Nursing was not such a need as was Mental Health and there was not enough Mental Health workers to go around so guess who the mental health workers were? you got that right and you know me - I am not a psych nurse!!! But being forced into service I must say I did okay. At least the clients were happy.

The Para-Medics drove us to Galveston to see the devastation. Oh my, I have never seen anything like it. People lost everything and whole neighborhoods were leveled. Such a disaster. Makes one thankful for what we have and where we live

On our last night I spent my birthday in a mega - shelter in Houston, Texas with 1500 people-must say that was different and one birthday I wont forget. Arrived home Saturday at noon just in time to leave for LA to see the Dodger game. Excellent game and of course we WON. Now to beat the Phillies!!!!!!!! Go Dodgers!!!!!!

Please support the Red Cross they do so much good. When asked at debriefing "Would I volunteer again to go to a disaster" I said YES!!! But need some rest first- sleeping on cots and air mattresses is a little rough for "old" ladies.

My best to you all, Pat

Archived