Want Something Done Right? Get Texan To Do It!

TEXASMUNK

That's good to hear. Took a cruise out of Galveston last year. Spent the night before the cruise at Hotel Galvez and had a great steak for dinner at Saltgrass. The Hotel Galvez is a grand old hotel. Glad she made it!

Thanks for the news.

-Steven

Isn't that wonderful?! Amazing effort in 3 1/2 short weeks.

Any news on the cruise terminal area? I'm anxious for Fisherman's Wharf to reopen. Love those jumbo fried shrimp and fried onion strings with jalapenos. YUM!

Maybe this is because Texans didn't sit around waiting for the government to do the work for them?;)
Ya think?! :cool:

Isn't that wonderful?! Amazing effort in 3 1/2 short weeks.

Any news on the cruise terminal area? I'm anxious for Fisherman's Wharf to reopen. Love those jumbo fried shrimp and fried onion strings with jalapenos. YUM!

Ya think?! :cool:

We were just down there last Sunday....it is still a BIG mess! That was our first trip to Galveston since the storm and I couldn't hold back the tears! (I'm not a cryer....I'm a math teachers....there's no crying in math!)

Some restaurants are open, most with limited menus. The terminal will require A LOT of work. I took pics, but they are WAY too big to attach. I will have to work on that and try again......

Yes, there is a lot more to do...but everyone is working together here in Texas to help make it all happen. Y'all know Texans are pretty driven to get things done, not sit around and complain about not having government help etc...

Last I saw CCL will be going out of Galveston at the beginning of November so the port will be back in the swing of things soon.

Hopefully the tourist attractions will continue to open up at a faster than initially planned pace! Galveston needs it, much of the tax for the city comes from these businesses etc...

The Salvation Army is out in force in Seabrook, San Leon, and Galveston providing free hot meals to anyone who stops by.

We stopped in Galveston at one meal van from DHs hometown of Pampa, Texas, just to tell them thanks for coming. It was manned by four people - one from Saskatchewan, Canada, one from Maine, and two from West Virginia. Now THAT was a "multicultural group"!

They were very busy feeding tired Galvestonians who had obviously been working hard in very unpleasant (and, no doubt, unhealthy) conditions for hours!

I will never pass a Salvation Army kettle again without making a donation! What a great organization! And, BTW, there was no government assistance to be found.....just individuals and groups like the SA, people holding hands and helping each other!

Disasters truly bring out the best (and sometimes the worst, unfortunately....but that's another discussion) in mankind!

We were just down there last Sunday....it is still a BIG mess! That was our first trip to Galveston since the storm and I couldn't hold back the tears! (I'm not a cryer....I'm a math teachers....there's no crying in math!)

Some restaurants are open, most with limited menus. The terminal will require A LOT of work. I took pics, but they are WAY too big to attach. I will have to work on that and try again......

I will have construction workers at the Cruise Terminal tomorrow...will report back then on the status. Fear not...the Carnival section will be back to normal in plenty of time! Then, we'll get to work on the Royal Caribbean section!

I see Casey's is on the list but not Gaido's. Anyone know any updates on Gaido's? They're my favorite place to eat when I'm in Galveston. Fisherman's Wharf is nice if I want to watch the ships leaving (without me :( ) on Sunday evenings.

I see Casey's is on the list but not Gaido's. Anyone know any updates on Gaido's? They're my favorite place to eat when I'm in Galveston. Fisherman's Wharf is nice if I want to watch the ships leaving (without me :( ) on Sunday evenings.

I believe that they are still both owned by the Gaido family. Gaido's appeared to be open with a limited menu also, but I'm not 100% certain whether the sign referred to Casey's or Gaido's.

We stopped in Galveston at one meal van from DHs hometown of Pampa, Texas...
Small world! My parents live in Fritch. I have a cousin in Borger who use to teach in Pampa! She now teaches in Borger.

DH is a collector of high school team t-shirts. It's amazing how many people stop and talk to him when he has his Pampa Harvester (how great a name is that?!), Borger Bulldog, or Sanford-Fritch Eagles t-shirts on. Great conversation starter. :cool: :D

I believe that they are still both owned by the Gaido family. Gaido's appeared to be open with a limited menu also, but I'm not 100% certain whether the sign referred to Casey's or Gaido's.

If I recall correctly Gaido's served the volunteers down there one day, last week or the week before I beleive to thank them for all the hard work they were putting in there in Galveston.

I think next weekend I am leading a relief team into Galveston or perhaps Chambers County to help folks get their homes cleaned out (of storm damage...we aren't a band of theives) and on the road to rebuilding. Although that is a nasty day of work it sure is rewarding to help those in great need.

The Salvation Army is out in force in Seabrook, San Leon, and Galveston providing free hot meals to anyone who stops by.

I will never pass a Salvation Army kettle again without making a donation! What a great organization! And, BTW, there was no government assistance to be found.....just individuals and groups like the SA, people holding hands and helping each other!quote]

Amen to that! While, thankfully, we have never personally had to depend on the Salvation Army for assistance we have seen what wonderful work they do. I remember my father talking about how wondeful the Salvation Army was to troops during WW2, and as a child he always had me drop a dollar into the kettle at Christmas time. To this day, although my dad has passed, I cannot or will not pass a Salvation Army bell ringer without dropping something into the kettle - in memory and love of my dad - remembering how much this organization meant to him during what were very dark times.

Never been 2 Galveston or Texas but after reading this it sure is now on my 'to do' list! Have no idea how we fly there but going to find out! From now on no more ruling out cruises out of Galveston!

Never been 2 Galveston or Texas but after reading this it sure is now on my 'to do' list! Have no idea how we fly there but going to find out! From now on no more ruling out cruises out of Galveston!

You can fly into Houston's Hobby Airport (named for a man - not a weekend activity ;) )! It's about an hour's drive (maybe a teensy bit more) from Hobby to Galveston.

Please do come down! You'll meet some great people, eat some great food, and have a generally great time!

I hope it all is rebuilt soon and better than even before, although it's tough to see so much history destroyed. As far a crying in math? There have been many tears shed in my family over math:D .

You can fly into Houston's Hobby Airport (named for a man - not a weekend activity ;) )! It's about an hour's drive (maybe a teensy bit more) from Hobby to Galveston.

Please do come down! You'll meet some great people, eat some great food, and have a generally great time!

Thank you, can you fly from New York to Hobby direct??? NY is the only state we can get direct flights to from Scotland without having to go through Heathrow in England which we LOATHE doing.. Ny would mean only one connection? Or Miami? Thats a possibility:confused: My geography of U.S. is just dreadful:o

Sounds like a wonderful place with wonderful people to come and see:)

Definately would add a pre cruise trip there of a good few days!

Thought you'd like to read an e-mail from one of our nursing faculty who just returned from volunteering post-IKE. I hope your state's recovery is speedy and complete. And I'll do my part and book a cruise out of Galveston. :D

Katink

Hello to All my Friends and Relatives,

If you wonder where I have been or even care - I have just returned home from 3 weeks deployment to Texas volunteering with the Red Cross for Hurricane IKE. What an experience!!! 20 days, 16 hours a day, with one day off and it hadn't been for the Para-Medic/Fireman from Weslaco and Angleton Texas we would have been working nights too. They were such a help and great personalities that made us laugh and reduced the stress.

I was so fortunate to pair up with a super RN from Seattle, Wash. Carla was the bomb and we hit it off immediately. We covered three shelters in Brazalton County, close to Galveston Texas and drove between all three. Nursing was not such a need as was Mental Health and there was not enough Mental Health workers to go around so guess who the mental health workers were? you got that right and you know me - I am not a psych nurse!!! But being forced into service I must say I did okay. At least the clients were happy.

The Para-Medics drove us to Galveston to see the devastation. Oh my, I have never seen anything like it. People lost everything and whole neighborhoods were leveled. Such a disaster. Makes one thankful for what we have and where we live

On our last night I spent my birthday in a mega - shelter in Houston, Texas with 1500 people-must say that was different and one birthday I wont forget. Arrived home Saturday at noon just in time to leave for LA to see the Dodger game. Excellent game and of course we WON. Now to beat the Phillies!!!!!!!! Go Dodgers!!!!!!

Please support the Red Cross they do so much good. When asked at debriefing "Would I volunteer again to go to a disaster" I said YES!!! But need some rest first- sleeping on cots and air mattresses is a little rough for "old" ladies.

My best to you all, Pat

Thank you, can you fly from New York to Hobby direct??? NY is the only state we can get direct flights to from Scotland without having to go through Heathrow in England which we LOATHE doing.. Ny would mean only one connection? Or Miami? Thats a possibility:confused: My geography of U.S. is just dreadful:o

Sounds like a wonderful place with wonderful people to come and see:)

Definately would add a pre cruise trip there of a good few days!

I don't think there is a direct flight from either NY (not sure which airport since Newark, La Guardia, and JFK all serve NY) or Miami. However, you can fly into Bush Airport (IAH) from any of those cities. The downside is it's on the north rather than south side of Houston so it makes for a longer transit time to Galveston. However, don't let that stop you from coming for a visit! We have cars you can rent at the airport and drop off at the pier, shuttles, cabs, limos, etc. to get you, your family, and your luggage from the airport to the pier.

I don't think there is a direct flight from either NY (not sure which airport since Newark, La Guardia, and JFK all serve NY) or Miami. However, you can fly into Bush Airport (IAH) from any of those cities. The downside is it's on the north rather than south side of Houston so it makes for a longer transit time to Galveston. However, don't let that stop you from coming for a visit! We have cars you can rent at the airport and drop off at the pier, shuttles, cabs, limos, etc. to get you, your family, and your luggage from the airport to the pier.

Thank you! Think i need to do some geography homework! :)

Small world! My parents live in Fritch. I have a cousin in Borger who use to teach in Pampa! She now teaches in Borger.

DH is a collector of high school team t-shirts. It's amazing how many people stop and talk to him when he has his Pampa Harvester (how great a name is that?!), Borger Bulldog, or Sanford-Fritch Eagles t-shirts on. Great conversation starter. :cool: :D

Small world indeed! All the places you named are everyday neighbors to me. Grew up in Hereford (Go Herd!) and presently live in Amarillo.

Look forward to seeing all of the progress and hard work as we set sail from Galveston in my first ever cruise on Voyager this December (my attempt of sending positive thoughts and prayers to all those involved with the cleanup in Galveston:) ).

Work continues on both terminals. Time frame for completion is still Oct. 26th. Exterior damage to Terminal 2 hasn't been completed, but then Terminal 1 is more time-sensitive! Lot's of laborers on hand..working very fast. I'm not positive that Terminal 1 will be 100% by Oct. 26th, but I'm pretty confident that it will be close enough that the Port of Galveston will be able to welcome home Carnival then!

Work continues on both terminals. Time frame for completion is still Oct. 26th. Exterior damage to Terminal 2 hasn't been completed, but then Terminal 1 is more time-sensitive! Lot's of laborers on hand..working very fast. I'm not positive that Terminal 1 will be 100% by Oct. 26th, but I'm pretty confident that it will be close enough that the Port of Galveston will be able to welcome home Carnival then!

They may fix the terminal but the real question is carnival going to move back? They say they are but I would imagine that Houston is going to do everything in their power to keep the ships at Bayport. Personally I could care less whether the VOS use Galveston or Bayport. I always stay in the Clear Lake area the night before the cruise. The hotels and restaurants are cheaper and better plus they don't have the tourists to contend with.

The other question is when will all the hotels and restaurants in Galveston be up and operating at 100% capacity. That is going to take some time. In the meantime it may be very crowded on the island with fewer facilities.

Archived