Want Something Done Right? Get Texan To Do It!

TEXASMUNK

They may fix the terminal but the real question is carnival going to move back? They say they are but I would imagine that Houston is going to do everything in their power to keep the ships at Bayport. Personally I could care less whether the VOS use Galveston or Bayport. I always stay in the Clear Lake area the night before the cruise. The hotels and restaurants are cheaper and better plus they don't have the tourists to contend with.

The other question is when will all the hotels and restaurants in Galveston be up and operating at 100% capacity. That is going to take some time. In the meantime it may be very crowded on the island with fewer facilities.

Thank you for trying to bring this thread back to the topic of rebuilding.....specifically the cruise terminals.

I am with you about not caring which port is used. We live in the Clear Lake area so the terminals are about equidistant for us. However, the net result is the same.....I get to cruise and end up at the same ports at about the same times.

The Port of Houston has two drawbacks that I can see....one fixable and the other not.

1) It is a LONG trip down the ship channel to get out into the Gulf. Whether or not one thinks of that as a drawback is a personal opinion.

On the way down the ship channel, you might get to be on a ship that does the "Texas Chicken" with an approaching ship....that would be pretty cool!

2) Having driven to the Port of Houston the first week that Carnival departed from there, we saw MANY cars parked outside the terminal area in a grassy area....and that was with only ONE ship in port. I couldn't see where PofH would put twice that many cars every week!

That is fixable and just a matter of time until other lots are built, but right now there is very limited parking!

Thank you for trying to bring this thread back to the topic of rebuilding.....specifically the cruise terminals.

I am with you about not caring which port is used. We live in the Clear Lake area so the terminals are about equidistant for us. However, the net result is the same.....I get to cruise and end up at the same ports at about the same times.

The Port of Houston has two drawbacks that I can see....one fixable and the other not.

1) It is a LONG trip down the ship channel to get out into the Gulf. Whether or not one thinks of that as a drawback is a personal opinion.

On the way down the ship channel, you might get to be on a ship that does the "Texas Chicken" with an approaching ship....that would be pretty cool!

2) Having driven to the Port of Houston the first week that Carnival departed from there, we saw MANY cars parked outside the terminal area in a grassy area....and that was with only ONE ship in port. I couldn't see where PofH would put twice that many cars every week!

That is fixable and just a matter of time until other lots are built, but right now there is very limited parking!

You left out another drawback - lack of amenities. Galveston at least has The Strand, hotels, and restaurants within walking distance of the port or Seawall area as well as a hotels that offer shuttle services to the port. Out of towners who elected to stay the night in Galveston could catch a shuttle from the airport to Galveston and not have to rent a car or drive. Some people don't like driving in strange cities or are unused to dealing with potentially heavy traffic so prefer to catch a ride to their hotel then walk to anything they need.

Even some of us who live within easy driving distance of Galveston would drive down the afternoon or evening before a cruise, leave the truck at the hotel, and walk to get dinner or entertainment.

You left out another drawback - lack of amenities. Galveston at least has The Strand, hotels, and restaurants within walking distance of the port or Seawall area as well as a hotels that offer shuttle services to the port.

You are absolutely correct. While there are some hotels popping up near the Port of Houston, there is really not much closeby for the out-of-towner, prior to the cruise...

From the looks of the Strand last weekend, it will be awhile before it recovers.....very sad for Galveston!

It sounds like they are rebuilding fairly quickly but it wil take time for a full recovery. With tourism being a major factor in the Galveston economy, the businesses that support tourism are pushing hard for rebuilding. Texans are known for being travelers and with the economic problems right now, I know several people who are looking at ways to travel but maintain a reasonable budget. Most of them are looking into vacation options within Texas and Louisiana so they can drive instead of fly. Airfare for a family of four plus any luggage surcharges is about double what is was 2 years ago.

This thread started out as a very good and positive thread. Then some folks forgot the Announcement from our Community Manager LauraS regarding politics.

Political Advertising, Statements, Discussion & Graphics at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=414&a=136

Numerous posts had to be removed to keep this thread on topic. Sadly, some good posts had to be removed because they either quoted or referred to a removed post somewhere in the post.

Now, let's all follow the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free membership and continue with this thread...

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Personally, I believe that Carnival and RCCL will return to Galveston. Both companies have a lot of money invested in the Cruise Terminal and I don't think they would walk away from that. Bayport is reportedly a nice facility, but the location ultimately makes it remote for pre and post night cruisers.

I know that the Port of Galveston officials are in touch with Carnival and I feel like the intense amount of money and manpower being thrown at the Cruise Terminal repairs is indicative of the commitment that Carnival has to return asap!

We also are lovers of Galveston. We have a house in a great little town about 2 hours away called Palacios. We were very lucky to be spared. We have made several trips to Galveston, and have left on cruises out of there.

What I am wondering is the motorcycle rally on Oct 31-? the website says it is still a go. My DH called and they said still a go--- what is up?

Is this city wanting a rally yet? If they need the visitors that is great, but I would really like to know if the city is up to it?

Thanks

YEEHAW! I just read on the galveston.com site that Gaido's has reopened as of today! My favorite Galveston restaurant is back in business. I'll have to convince hubby that we need to celebrate something. I'll give it a couple weeks for some more clean up time then maybe I'll get the convertible out and take a drive to the beach! Hopefully we'll keep the good weather around here for a while.

We also are lovers of Galveston. We have a house in a great little town about 2 hours away called Palacios. We were very lucky to be spared. We have made several trips to Galveston, and have left on cruises out of there.

What I am wondering is the motorcycle rally on Oct 31-? the website says it is still a go. My DH called and they said still a go--- what is up?

Is this city wanting a rally yet? If they need the visitors that is great, but I would really like to know if the city is up to it?

Thanks

I heard on the radio this morning that the Lone Star Rally has been postponed until Dec. 13-14. City officials requested that it be postponed due to a lack of emergency medical facilities open (UTMB is still on limited operations). They were concerned about the safety of having so many additional people on the island, particularly on motorcycles, without a locally available facility capable of handling trauma patients. The galveston.com website has additional information.

For info on the Bike Rally: http://www.lonestarrally.com/

For info on the The 27th annual Island Oktoberfest - aka "IKE's over FEST" and the 11th Annual ARToberFEST Fine Art Festival: http://firstlutherangalveston.com/oktoberfest2008.cfm

And don't forget the 35-year-old Dickens on The Strand Victorian holiday festival: http://www.galvestonhistory.org/Dickens_Press7.asp

Kat 020105_emYA11_prv.gif

I heard on the radio this morning that the Lone Star Rally has been postponed until Dec. 13-14.

Anybody else notice the date? The Voyager comes in from it's TA on that weekend. It's going to be chaotic enough around the downtown area with that alone.

Texas always Rocks!

Never met a Texan I didn't like and they are the best fellow cruisers ever...

When I am reincarnated, I want to come back as a Texan, no doubt about it!

Thank you to all who have helped Galveston and surrounding Texas...

Good job!

Texas always Rocks!

Never met a Texan I didn't like and they are the best fellow cruisers ever...

When I am reincarnated, I want to come back as a Texan, no doubt about it!

Thank you to all who have helped Galveston and surrounding Texas...

Good job!

Thank you so very much for your kind words!

If you ever sailed on Rhapsody back in the olden days when she sailed from Galveston, you would have had a ship-load of friendly Texans with you. I see you will be on Voyager out of Galveston so lucky you will get the experience for sure!

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif

If you ever sailed on Rhapsody back in the olden days when she sailed from Galveston' date=' you would have had a ship-load of friendly Texans with you. I see you will be on Voyager out of Galveston so lucky you will get the experience for sure!

The Rhapsody certainly was a very unique experience.

Because of Ike I received an email from a couple in Wales who we had sailed with on the Rhapsody a few years ago. On the cruise they were amazed with the Texans more than anything else. They had never seen so many polite, friendly people.

If you ever sailed on Rhapsody back in the olden days when she sailed from Galveston' date=' you would have had a ship-load of friendly Texans with you. I see you will be on Voyager out of Galveston so lucky you will get the experience for sure!

We have sailed out of Galveston several times and have friends in Houston, we fully appreciate Texas and the people who live there...

Thank you, can you fly from New York to Hobby direct??? NY is the only state we can get direct flights to from Scotland without having to go through Heathrow in England which we LOATHE doing.. Ny would mean only one connection? Or Miami? Thats a possibility:confused: My geography of U.S. is just dreadful:o

Sounds like a wonderful place with wonderful people to come and see:)

Definately would add a pre cruise trip there of a good few days!

I suspect there may be a direct flight from one of the New York airports to Hobby. The Bush/Intercontinental airport is a couple of hours away from Galveston and I know they have numerous international flights. It is located in North Houston. Galveston and the rest of Southeast Texas IS a wonderful place! Hopefully, when you visit, the Bolivar ferry will be running again. It's free and a fun trip. The residents of Galveston and Bolivar Peninsula have been through an unbelievable tragedy. There are still dozens of missing men, women and children and, searching for them in all of the debris fields is a slow process. I truly hope you are able to visit and see what strong self-sufficient people we have here.

Pam

P.S. I'm sure your knowledge of US geography is better than my knowledge of Scotland geography!!! :)

I suspect there may be a direct flight from one of the New York airports to Hobby. The Bush/Intercontinental airport is a couple of hours away from Galveston and I know they have numerous international flights. It is located in North Houston. Galveston and the rest of Southeast Texas IS a wonderful place! Hopefully, when you visit, the Bolivar ferry will be running again. It's free and a fun trip. The residents of Galveston and Bolivar Peninsula have been through an unbelievable tragedy. There are still dozens of missing men, women and children and, searching for them in all of the debris fields is a slow process. I truly hope you are able to visit and see what strong self-sufficient people we have here.

Pam

P.S. I'm sure your knowledge of US geography is better than my knowledge of Scotland geography!!! :)

BUSH AIRPORT TO GALVESTON:

Bush east to HW 59(not to HW45 into town)

down to Loop 610(northeast to the east) to HW45 (south) to Galveston

in NON RUSH HOUR PEAK times

can be done in an more or less than an HOUR depending on your driving speed. :D

If I recall correctly Gaido's served the volunteers down there one day, last week or the week before I beleive to thank them for all the hard work they were putting in there in Galveston.

I think next weekend I am leading a relief team into Galveston or perhaps Chambers County to help folks get their homes cleaned out (of storm damage...we aren't a band of theives) and on the road to rebuilding. Although that is a nasty day of work it sure is rewarding to help those in great need.

Thank you, Rancher Dave. We live in Chambers County (Anahuac) and appreciate all that the volunteers have done.

Dana

I rode out Ike in downtown Galveston. I knew my loft is in a sturdy building, and am living approx 20 ft above street level, with yet another storey above me. I had no damage to my property (had a heck of a hurricaine party with my neighbors). That being said, this is the reality of now: Most of the businesses that are open are south of Broadway-between Broadway and the Seawall. Downtown, and the strand areas did not suffer as much wind damage as flooding. 7ft at the entrance to my building. All of the downtown businesses are working like crazy to reopen. This storm has definately brought our neighborhood closer. From Strand to Post Office-all of the locally owned businesses will be better than new. Please support and understand what makes Galveston a unique attraction-the ma and pop businesses. These folks did suffer, and I was more than happy to help them as much as possible. Each local business that you visit will have a heckuva story to tell you if you ask. The downtown merchants are amazing folks. Why have I waited so long to post? Well... my power just came on this morning.:D

I rode out Ike in downtown Galveston. I knew my loft is in a sturdy building, and am living approx 20 ft above street level, with yet another storey above me. I had no damage to my property (had a heck of a hurricaine party with my neighbors). That being said, this is the reality of now: Most of the businesses that are open are south of Broadway-between Broadway and the Seawall. Downtown, and the strand areas did not suffer as much wind damage as flooding. 7ft at the entrance to my building. All of the downtown businesses are working like crazy to reopen. This storm has definately brought our neighborhood closer. From Strand to Post Office-all of the locally owned businesses will be better than new. Please support and understand what makes Galveston a unique attraction-the ma and pop businesses. These folks did suffer, and I was more than happy to help them as much as possible. Each local business that you visit will have a heckuva story to tell you if you ask. The downtown merchants are amazing folks. Why have I waited so long to post? Well... my power just came on this morning.:D

Thanks for the news!

Please support and understand what makes Galveston a unique attraction-the ma and pop businesses. These folks did suffer, and I was more than happy to help them as much as possible. Each local business that you visit will have a heckuva story to tell you if you ask. The downtown merchants are amazing folks.

We'll be down this week-end to spend some time and $$ at our favorite Galveston shops and restaurants. We have also rented a beach house on West Beach for our entire family over Thanksgiving. Galveston has long been one of our favorite places and we want to support everyone there as much as possible.

We'll be down this week-end to spend some time and $$ at our favorite Galveston shops and restaurants. We have also rented a beach house on West Beach for our entire family over Thanksgiving. Galveston has long been one of our favorite places and we want to support everyone there as much as possible.

What rental company did you use? We had rented a beach front home on Crystal Beach for Thanksgiving and sadly the house is g-o-n-e! I know I will get my deposit back but sure would like to rent a house as it is my twins birthday too! Thanks!

Archived