Venice - Post Cruise Baggage and Hotel

First trip involving Venice so looking for some help. My wife and I will be coming off 12 day cruise ending in Venice next year. Considering staying at Hotel Foscari Palace for 2 additional nights. What should we expect with some big baggage load in getting from cruise ship to hotel and eventually hotel to airport? How viable is thought of going from cruise to store some bags at bus location and taking smaller load onwards to hotel? I figuring someone can share some pointers. Thanks.

Several things to consider:

(1) Where is your hotel? I assume that you already have a good map of Venice? Consider bridges/stairs (baggage). Two general locations. If you are staying close to St. Marks square you can take the Alilaguna from Marittima to St. Marks square (expects you to have luggage and is helpful). Of course, if you are staying close to P. Roma, you can walk. Otherwise, you are in the space of the water taxi and $80-$150.

(2) When does you flight leave Marco Polo? (my assumption) Our FF-generated tickets include a 6:55am departure and we either have to stay near the airport our last night, arrange for an $150 water taxi ride in the dark after 4 hours sleep, or stay very close to P. Roma to catch a land taxi cab.

If you just happen to be doing Ruby 28 May, drop me a note.

Good luck,

David

traveltoports@yahoo.com

First trip involving Venice so looking for some help. My wife and I will be coming off 12 day cruise ending in Venice next year. Considering staying at Hotel Foscari Palace for 2 additional nights. What should we expect with some big baggage load in getting from cruise ship to hotel and eventually hotel to airport? How viable is thought of going from cruise to store some bags at bus location and taking smaller load onwards to hotel? I figuring someone can share some pointers. Thanks.

I think the hotel has it`s own dock. You can take a water taxi from ship to hotel and from hotel to airport but it will cost you.:cool:

When you're dealing with a lot of luggage, my personal opinion is that a water taxi is WELL worth the cost. And it's also an experience quite unlike any other in Venice and worth having at least once!

Our travel agent arranged transportation for us from the ship to hotel and hotel to airport. Our hotel was near Piazzel Roma and the water taxi took us directly from the port to the hotel dock/back door with our luggage aboard. When we left Venice, the agent arrived at the hotel and saw to our baggage being loaded into a boat for transfer to Roma. We then walked with the agent to Roma where our luggage had been transferred to a waiting mini van and we were taken to the airport door and were walked by the agent to our airline counter inside the airport. Had we taken a water taxi to the airport there would have been a considerable walk to the terminal with our luggage.

This service was worth every penny.

When you're dealing with a lot of luggage, my personal opinion is that a water taxi is WELL worth the cost. And it's also an experience quite unlike any other in Venice and worth having at least once!

Our travel agent arranged transportation for us from the ship to hotel and hotel to airport. Our hotel was near Piazzel Roma and the water taxi took us directly from the port to the hotel dock/back door with our luggage aboard. When we left Venice, the agent arrived at the hotel and saw to our baggage being loaded into a boat for transfer to Roma. We then walked with the agent to Roma where our luggage had been transferred to a waiting mini van and we were taken to the airport door and were walked by the agent to our airline counter inside the airport. Had we taken a water taxi to the airport there would have been a considerable walk to the terminal with our luggage.

This service was worth every penny.

Sunshinecrew:

You stayed "near" P. Roma but needed a water taxi to get luggage from port to hotel and from hotel to a land taxi at P. Roma? How much of a walk was it to the taxi? We are considering staying at a modest B & B within 1-2 block equivalents so that we can walk to a land taxi at 4:30 in the morning. Several of these lodgings have a water access as they are on a canal, but they also have land access to P. Roma. What was your experience with P. Roma, access to actv and an environment away from St. Marks square/grand canal?

Much thanks,

David

Sunshinecrew:

You stayed "near" P. Roma but needed a water taxi to get luggage from port to hotel and from hotel to a land taxi at P. Roma? How much of a walk was it to the taxi? We are considering staying at a modest B & B within 1-2 block equivalents so that we can walk to a land taxi at 4:30 in the morning. Several of these lodgings have a water access as they are on a canal, but they also have land access to P. Roma. What was your experience with P. Roma, access to actv and an environment away from St. Marks square/grand canal?

Much thanks,

David

Yes, we stayed at the Principe near Roma. Right next to the next stop up from Roma...don't remember the name. We had a lot a luggage, have back problems, and the biggest problem would have been getting the luggage up and over the steps of the bridge.

It was only one night so it was hard to judge. We had great access to ACTV but the "environment" wasn't quite as upsale as other areas. We didn't find a good restaurant, maybe just our bad planning and luck. When we got ready to ride a gondola, there were none in that area and we were too beat walk or ride a vaporetto (our passes had expired) to find one elsewhere. The Pincipe wanted 250 Euros to arrange one for us.

we just stayed in sept at a B&B near the p roma, a 5 min walk with only one little bridge to cross. the locanda martinella. reasonable rates, newly renovated rooms and i think either all or most have own bathrooms. breakfast included. we just walked 5 min to the bus in the morning, lots of room for luggage for 2 euro each. good deal. if you need to store your luggage for a while(we went to rhodes) there is a lugggage storage(deposit baggaleta sp?) for 4 euro per bag per day. the only other hotel near the p roma within walking ditance was the hotel santa clara.

we just stayed in sept at a B&B near the p roma, a 5 min walk with only one little bridge to cross. the locanda martinella. reasonable rates, newly renovated rooms and i think either all or most have own bathrooms. breakfast included. we just walked 5 min to the bus in the morning, lots of room for luggage for 2 euro each. good deal. if you need to store your luggage for a while(we went to rhodes) there is a lugggage storage(deposit baggaleta sp?) for 4 euro per bag per day. the only other hotel near the p roma within walking ditance was the hotel santa clara.

Dear Categirl,

Hope your cruise was great! (Rome on a Sunday?) Maybe you can field a couple of questions:

(1) What do you call "modest" for Locanda Martinella (in euros/night)? Elevator? Did you see the inside of Hotel Santa Clara?

(2) I'm planning for early/mid June 2009 and hotels aren't being responsive. How many months before your trip did you tie down a reservation?

(3) So far, I've found four hotels with breakfast that have by the majority good reviews, but can not confirm availability on rates (maybe they establish in January?). Best Western Hotel Olimpia and Hotel Arrecchino (next door), both on Fondamenta delle Burchielle, the Hotel Canal on Fondamenta S. Simeon Piccolo and the Hotel Gardena on Fondamenta dei Tolentini. Did you see any of these? Distance from land transportation?

(4) What about the new bridge? Did that help you get arround? Walk to the Ghetto area?

Any of you out there with Piazzale Roma experiences, let's hear them!

Always planning,

David

traveltoports@yahoo.com

(2) I'm planning for early/mid June 2009 and hotels aren't being responsive. How many months before your trip did you tie down a reservation?

(3) So far, I've found four hotels with breakfast that have by the majority good reviews, but can not confirm availability on rates (maybe they establish in January?).

We booked our hotel a year out for May 09

You need to contact the hotel directly... the online booking sites like venere.com do not show rates that far out.

Lyn

A water taxi is far better value and use than a gondola up the canal ;)

For budget concious folks or even those concerned because they have a very early flight out in the morning, we found the Hotel Mary near the airport in Campalto to be inexpensive, very clean and convenient for using the public buses. http://www.venicehotelmary.com/en/. Nice included breakfast, also.

We had a couple days before our cruise so stayed in Venice on a canal. Can't beat that experience, but for the one night after our cruise we enjoyed the savings and convenience of a hotel a few miles from the airport.

After our cruise we caught the public bus to the Hotel Mary to leave off our luggage. Our room was ready that morning, but they have luggage storage if it's not. Then we caught the bus back to Venice to spend the day and the evening touring, walking and shopping. After we had spent sufficient time in the evening enjoying the dueling orchestras at St. Mark's Square we rode a Vaporetta back to P. Roma and caught the bus back to the Hotel Mary. In the early morning we caught the bus to the airport with plenty of time to spare. The bus stop is right next to the hotel and the desk clerk even sells bus tickets. If you reserve the Hotel Mary, make sure to email ahead to get specific bus stop directions and with the Italian name for where to get off the bus for the hotel. We asked someone on the bus, so got lucky. Our BIL and SIL didn't find anyone to ask and had to walk over a mile back to the hotel because they missed the stop.

here is their website http://www.locandamarinella.it/ we paid 135 euro a night. all new bathrooms. we originally had the antique figure hotel boked, but booked the B&B less than a month before. very clean. 5 min from the p roma, close to the vaperetto stop and of course buses. check tripadvisor for reviews. we just took a bus for our very early morning flight for 2 euro. we had a fair bit of lugage and we are 51/62. so if we can do it!! by the way do the doges secret itinerary.

Archived