Lisbon hotels/guest houses?

I'll need 2 overnights in Lisbon at the end of a cruise I've just booked (a last-minute bargain I couldn't resist); the ship docks there on Saturday November 8. I'm hoping for a location where walking is a good way to explore. I'll be traveling solo (my husband dislikes flying), so hope to find a single room at a reasonable price.

Actually, I have the same request for Barcelona for one night before the cruise, October 31. I've been to Barcelona before (& love it), so have more of a feel for where I want to be there. Lisbon is new territory for me. Any ideas for either city, or both, will be greatly appreciated!

We stayed at the Residencial Florescente in Lisbon in May for 3 nights. The particular room that we had was small, but very clean. It was quite reasonable for Lisbon, also. We were within walking distance to the train station (to go to Sintra) , Commercial Square, trolley, lots of restaurants, another square which I can't remember the name, etc. There was an elevator and a nice breakfast. Rick Steves recommends it in his book on Portugal and one of his groups was staying there at the time. We felt very safe on the streets. It was quite quaint and I think most of the rooms are different. We happened to get a room that faced the street and had a balcony. We had been warned to not get that area, but we found it to be of no problem with the noise. We just closed the inside shutter door and went off to sleep. The hallways are tile and narrow and so they posed some noise at times. OUr room was $97.50 including taxes. I booked on line---had a little difficulty, but e-mailed and they gave me the same price. Go to http://www.residencialflorescente.com. Enjoy Lisbon. Go to Sintra if you have time. Steves tells you how to do it. We spent the entire day going and then bussed it down the coast to Cascais and back home. Would be no problem by yourself.

We also enjoyed the Alfama district via Tram #28 and then walked it using Rick's book. I don't know if I would walk his entire route by myself. Didn't take time to do the castle there---too much more to see. Get Rick Steves book on Portugal for easy touring. Can't help you with Barcelona.

If you are by yourself, the taxi should be reasonable from the port to here. Cost us $40 to go to the hotel---just a short distance from the port. Then to go all the way to the airport it was $10. We were told on the ship that the "gotcha" at the port, so just beware. Try to negotiate. We had 3 bags and 2 carr-yons as we were gone 7 weeks, so he tried to tell us that was why. But why the difference to the airport---who knows.

Sorry to hear that, but because of their location, it doesn't surprise me. I"ll list some from Rick Steve's book that would be near that location. I would choose the area of Praca Dos Restauradores, Praca da Figueira, and the Rossio. They are within walking distance of so much. Orion Eden Apartment Hotel, http://www.viphotels.com or res.eden@viphotels.com, Grande Pensao Alcobia http://www.pensaoalcobia.com, Albergaria Residencial Insulana http://www.insulana.cjb.net.

There are other much more expensive ones. But if you haven't been to Europe lately, you are in for an Euro shock!!! Be prepared!

Also try Trip Advisor.com for ideas. Wish you had a map to locate them, but going at the last minute, you are stuck, but admire you for doing that.

Oh, yes, the Hop On Hop Off bus is a great thing to do to get around the city--good for 24 hours.

We really liked Lisbon.  Last summer, Sept 08, we stayed at the Marriott for three nights on a Priceline bid of $72. My guess is is may be more now but it is worth a try.  IT is not directly downtown but very close. Inexpensive cab ride. The service was wonderful and the restaurant was first rate (and reasonable).

Hello.

I can recommend two more hotels from the vip hotels chain (link in gerena's reply) - the Diplomatico, which is a pleasant, traditional 4* just behind Marques de Pombal Square, so within easy walking distance of the centre (this is where we usually stay whenever we go to Lisbon); and the Berna, a 3* located a bit farther out (but close enough for taxis to be cheap) and a bit cheaper, where we stayed once when the Diplomatico was full.

Hope this helps.

Fiona.

Archived