VF to VB

Beachkeefes

Just got our cabin assignment for Nov 1st Oosterdam. Our VF guarantee is now a VB - but I can't find specifics on the difference between a VF and VB.
Mostly location and the verandahs. The VBs have 6 ft deep verandahs. The VFs on deck 5 have 4.5 deep verandahs. The VFs on deck 4 (4005 to 4042) have 7.5 deep verandahs, but steel-wall railings. VFs 4005/6/7/8 have showers only. Two VBs on the stern (4178 and 4183) have very deep verandahs.

Congrats on the upgrade! :)

Mainly location...however, you can now be sure your balcony will have a plexiglass wall, instead of the steel one some VF's have.

You'll be fore or aft on Upper Verandah deck (deck 6). I'd much rather have a VB towards the aft on Upper Verandah, than a "better" aft VA on Navigation, with noise from pool chairs being dragged above my cabin.

(Oops...John typed faster, and posted first!)

How did you find you cabin assignment? Was it posted on the HAL website? I am on the same cruise and anxiously awaiting a cabin assignment as well (booked an HH gty).

Have you gotten your Docs yet?

I'm not the OP, but yes, your cabin assignment will show up in your OnLine CheckIn first page.

You'll most likely get your assignment within the next 7 days

You should have gotten your docs by now, unless you booked HAL air (because that isn't booked until 30 days out). Have you tried tracking your docs? Go to www.dhl-usa.com, choose Track by Reference, and put your HAL booking number in the Reference box. You may have to expand the date range to go back to about 4 weeks ago.

Just got our cabin assignment for Nov 1st Oosterdam. Our VF guarantee is now a VB - but I can't find specifics on the difference between a VF and VB.

The VB is closer to the center of the ship compared to the VF. Also, the VF very often has the "steel" balcony compared to the usual "plexi-glas.

I'll keep an eye on my booking :D

I booked through an internet agency and the docs arrived to them on 9/26. I have been away from the US since that time not sure if they have forwarded them to my house yet - will find out when I get home on the 11th :rolleyes: I am sure to be doing the doc-dance! After 23 past cruises there is always such an excitement to getting the docs - seems more tangible somehow

Mostly location and the verandahs. The VBs have 6 ft deep verandahs. The VFs on deck 5 have 4.5 deep verandahs. The VFs on deck 4 (4005 to 4042) have 7.5 deep verandahs, but steel-wall railings. VFs 4005/6/7/8 have showers only. Two VBs on the stern (4178 and 4183) have very deep verandahs.

Congrats on the upgrade! :)

I have been trying to help my cousin with cabin selection. Where do you find this information ? HAL's site is no help at all.

I have been trying to help my cousin with cabin selection. Where do you find this information ? HAL's site is no help at all.
Some first-hand on the ships, some from reading here. If you can't get an answer to your questions here, sometimes HAL Ship Services (800-541-1576) can help.

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to pick a VF verandah for the Oosterdam. I'm currently looking at 5128 buy see it is a smaller verandah compared to the ones on deck four. I need to decide if we want a smaller verandah with a glass we can see through or a larger one with a verandah we can't see through while sitting down.

Does anyone have any advice?

I'm trying to pick a VF verandah for the Oosterdam. I'm currently looking at 5128 buy see it is a smaller verandah compared to the ones on deck four. I need to decide if we want a smaller verandah with a glass we can see through or a larger one with a verandah we can't see through while sitting down.

Does anyone have any advice?

I had 5127 on the Noordam, a Vista class ship. The veranda is plenty big for 2 people, and had plexiglass. We were very happy with the room. Quiet location, and very convenient. I haven't been in the one with the steel rail, but I do know that they are right up front, and you will feel any rough water a lot more there. However, I'd be happy with either, and I was very happy with 5127. Also, a lot of the verandas on deck four (at least on the Noordam) had life boats outside or right next to you.

I looked at the deck plan and it seems as a life boat is right below us and may block the view looking down while seated. I don't think it is too big of a deal though. There are several VF's on deck four that have a bigger verandah, but I think they all have the steel balcony you can't see through.

I looked at the deck plan and it seems as a life boat is right below us and may block the view looking down while seated. I don't think it is too big of a deal though. There are several VF's on deck four that have a bigger verandah, but I think they all have the steel balcony you can't see through.

Yes, you can see the lifeboats when you look down, but it really isn't a big deal. I had no problem watching the goings on at the dock when we were in port. You have an unobstructed view looking out. You shouldn't be leaning that far over your balcony anyway :D. Plus, it's fun to watch when they lower them during port calls.

We find that when we are out on the verandah to see something - like arriving in or leaving a port - we are generally standing at the railing, and if we are sitting out there reading while at sea there is very rarely anything to see through the plexiglas anyway. The deck 5 VF balconies are way too small (4.5 ft deep) for eating more than a snack meal, but on the deck 4 VFs with the steel railings you could because they are 7.5 ft deep.
Also, a lot of the verandas on deck four (at least on the Noordam) had life boats outside or right next to you.
None of the deck 4 cabins with the life boats outside have verandahs.
Plus, it's fun to watch when they lower them during port calls.
Few port calls use the ship's tenders. Cabo San Lucas uses shore-based tenders.

Wow I booked and was assigned a va with the steel railing (fwrd deck4)

I paid more to move up to deck 5 above the lifeboats,(towards the aft) now I am wondering.

So yeah I guess there isnt a lot to see except water, but are the verandahs that small. decisions decisions. we sail feb-28th.

it should be calmer seas around then, maybe I paid an extra 500 dollars to see nothing but water, but the balcony is bigger. seems like I might of wasted some money for not much of a better alternative.

Oh well I'll be happy once I'm onboard.

Oh I dont want to sound like I'm sorry I switched. I'll be glad if its smother

more aft and glass pane instead of metal, but some say it vibrates there also

and the balcony is so much smaller, so maybe its just as good a cabin up front on deck 4 but just costs less because of the partial view.

anyways doesnt matter, I am happy I will finally take a cruise in the Carribbean,

We find that when we are out on the verandah to see something - like arriving in or leaving a port - we are generally standing at the railing, and if we are sitting out there reading while at sea there is very rarely anything to see through the plexiglas anyway. The deck 5 VF balconies are way too small (4.5 ft deep) for eating more than a snack meal, but on the deck 4 VFs with the steel railings you could because they are 7.5 ft deep.

None of the deck 4 cabins with the life boats outside have verandahs.

Few port calls use the ship's tenders. Cabo San Lucas uses shore-based tenders.

Thanks for the constructive corrections. I misspoke when I said that some of the deck 4 cabins with verandas had lifeboats outside them. Of course they don't. But there are oceanview cabins with lifeboats outside of them, and view is partially or fully blocked.

As for lowering the lifeboats, they did this a couple times on our first cruise. Mostly for a drill. The one right below us was absolutely lowered. Twice.

Archived