Another Passport Question...please help!!

Dpeeps

By what i have read on here it seems like passports are not needed till June '09?? We have had ours so this is not for me but am asking for some friends who are coming along on their first cruise.....I guess her husband has already gotten his but she was wondering if she could get by without getting them for her and her 2 boys?? Yes....I know it would be alot less hassle to just get them but can i hear some other comments.....the reason i am asking....really not sure if they will be cruising anytime soon in the near future and thought it may just save them a little $??? One other detail here is that her 2 boys are from a previous marriage so does anyone know if there is anything special that would need to be done before cruising with them......she would need birth cert, ss card and possibly a notarized letter from the father?? Thanks for any advice!! :)

If the cruise is in Caribbean - WHTI covered:

She can cruise on birth certificate and driver's license.

The minor children can cruise on a birth certificate.

Yes she needs the notarized letter from the father giving permission to take them out of the country. She may never be asked for it, but if she is and doesn't have it they very well might be denied boarding.

Just a clarification as it's come up in a few threads - a birth certificate means the official one issued by the state NOT the cute one from the hospital.

Just remember - something happens and they need to fly back - they can't without a passport.

By what i have read on here it seems like passports are not needed till June '09?? We have had ours so this is not for me but am asking for some friends who are coming along on their first cruise.....I guess her husband has already gotten his but she was wondering if she could get by without getting them for her and her 2 boys?? Yes....I know it would be alot less hassle to just get them but can i hear some other comments.....the reason i am asking....really not sure if they will be cruising anytime soon in the near future and thought it may just save them a little $??? One other detail here is that her 2 boys are from a previous marriage so does anyone know if there is anything special that would need to be done before cruising with them......she would need birth cert, ss card and possibly a notarized letter from the father?? Thanks for any advice!! :)

Yes passports are NOT needed until next June, the birth certificate has to be a state certified one, not the cute hospital one. No SS card is needed though a photo ID is needed for anyone over 16, like a driver's liscense. A notarized letter from the father is a must also.

thanks all for your quick reply! Great help....I will let her know! The letter... does it just need to state that she has permission to leave the country with them??? Anything else that you know of??? Thanks!

thanks all for your quick reply! Great help....I will let her know! The letter... does it just need to state that she has permission to leave the country with them??? Anything else that you know of??? Thanks!

Yes put in the letter that she can take them out of the country, etc. Cover all the bases by listing all the ports she will be visiting. It is unlikely she will even be asked but better to be safe then sorry.

Also does anyone know about taking a friend along??? My daughter is bringing along a friend on our next cruise....the friend will be 17 years old. Does she need a note of any kind from her mother stating that she is allowed to go on the cruise with us??? Thanks!

Also does anyone know about taking a friend along??? My daughter is bringing along a friend on our next cruise....the friend will be 17 years old. Does she need a note of any kind from her mother stating that she is allowed to go on the cruise with us??? Thanks!

Yes, you will need a letter from the mother authorizing you to take the child out of the country. You'll also want one giving you authority to seek medical attention for her if necessary. All of these letters should be notarized.

Archived