What is the cheapest way to get from Rome airport to Civitavecchia?

I would like to know the cheapest way to get from the airport in Rome to Civitavecchia! We've taken the train from the Port of Civitavecchia to Rome, but have never flown in to the airport, then taken a train. Is there a train station near the airport, so we can go by train after we get off the plane! I know the taxis are $110.00 Euros for the one way trip, but don't want to pay that much. We have a hotel in Civitavecchia, and will take a cruise the next day...but we will probably be better off (cheaper) with the train! Thanks!!

Others may post more exact figures, but I think the train from FCO to Rome Termini is around 10 EURO, then the train from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia is another 9 EURO.

There isn't a direct train from FCO to Civitavecchia. Good Luck!

I don't know where you are staying for that one night, but I also stayed one night in Civitavecchia at the Hotel Traiano. One reason I chose the hotel was that they offered a very good rate for transfers from the airport to their hotel. So ask at your hotel.

There is a train station attatched to the airport. Near terminal C, fairly well signed.

Two ways to get there by train. First way is to take the Leonardo Express to Rome Termini station ( E11). At Termini, transfer to the Civ. train.

A second way, on our preference, is to take the 'stopping train' to Rome. The cost is E 5.5. You can transfer to the Civ. train at the Rome Ostiense stop I think, or the Trastevere (sp) I think. We prefer this as Rome Termini is very busy.

To get a handle on it, go to www. trenitalia.com. Watch for the English version at the top of the screen. Your starting location is roma aeroporto, final destination is Civ. The options will come up on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends which airport you are flying in to?

We flew in to Campiano and from there there is no train connection to Termini station.

We took the Terravision bus from the airport which dropped us right outside Rome Termini. Then the train down to the port.

Easy I thought so good luck

Regards

Pete

Its really easy if you are flying into FCO. Once you retrieve your luggage exit the luggage area and watch for the icons that point to the train station. You'll always have someone trying to tell you they can get you to where you need to go cheap. Don't believe them just head for the Airport train station. Your ticket will cost around 12 Euros for the Leanardo Express. Just remember to validate you ticket in the yellow box before boarding the train. The trains arrive every 30 minutes and it is a 30 minute trip to Rome Termini. Exit the train and go right which will taken you into the main train station. The ticket counters will be to your right. Look for the regional ticket counter which I believe is yellow, there should be two different regional counters. From FCO to Civitavecchia is 5.5 euros. You should be able to catch the local train on platform 26 or 27. Its really pretty easy. Don't carry a credit card in your front pocket. If someone should bump you believe me they are checking you out. I got bumped but the guy was stupid. I had my hand on my wallet. If someone should ask you the "time" your are being checked out. Don't get nervous just keep a close eye on your belongings. I have traveled Europe 7 times in six years and haven't lost anything yet. It should be about a two and a half hour time from FCO to Civitavecchia. Not bad for 17 euros each. Tim

We did the reverse journey from the port to the airport at the end of our cruise this year. I used the option detailed by iancal, with a simple change at Trastevere (SP). No need at all to go to Termini. Cost was less than 10 euros per adult.

As stated, look for times on the trennitalia website and prrint them out. I recall the trains from the airport station are every 30 minutes.

we are thinking of doing the train from the Cit. port to FCO.

we know we could do the train all the way to termini, then termina to FCO

do you mean we could get off the train at Travester (sp?)

do we then buy another ticket from that station to FCO?

is there much to see/do around the Tra. Station?

thanks for any info.

Hi cruzisme

At Civ buy a single ticket to Fiumicino Airport. At Travastere (sp) you simply change platforms for your second train. Sorry we did not exit station so no idea what's around. As stated use trenitalia website to get schedules

It seems pointless to me to go all the way to Termini and then come back again. What we did this year was very simple, quicker and costs less

Hope this clarifies

hi kool kruiser

DH got into Trenitalia and managed to get the info that we needed!

Leave Civ. at 8:59 AM, arrival Trastevere 10:00, catch the 10:06 train to FCO arrival 10:33

there are other trains of course; if we miss the 10:06, we wait 1/2 hour & catch the 10:36 which arrives at FCO at 11:03

Love the internet!

and thank you too!

last question: while we are at Civ, do we go the the ticket office or do we use the machine (is it hard to use? how to get English directions?)

Thanks in advance!

hi kool kruiser

DH got into Trenitalia and managed to get the info that we needed!

Leave Civ. at 8:59 AM, arrival Trastevere 10:00, catch the 10:06 train to FCO arrival 10:33

there are other trains of course; if we miss the 10:06, we wait 1/2 hour & catch the 10:36 which arrives at FCO at 11:03

Love the internet!

and thank you too!

last question: while we are at Civ, do we go the the ticket office or do we use the machine (is it hard to use? how to get English directions?)

Thanks in advance!

Do not use the ticket office if a big line. AS you go through the door into the station, the ticket office is on left. Go through the store on the right to the next store(newstand) and buy your ticket there. I did not notice the machines at Civit, but if working they were easy enough to use at other stations in Rome.

I have come across three types of ticket machines. They are all easy to use. One will only do one ticket at a time, will accept bills, but has a max. on the change that it gives. For change amounts higher than the max, the machine gives you a paper credit...you then have to line up to get the money. The second also limits the change but will give you the option of purchasing multiple tickets. There are lots of trains so you have to watch for the correct track.

Do not use the ticket office if a big line. AS you go through the door into the station, the ticket office is on left. Go through the store on the right to the next store(newstand) and buy your ticket there. I did not notice the machines at Civit, but if working they were easy enough to use at other stations in Rome.

Great tip !!! Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know where you are staying for that one night, but I also stayed one night in Civitavecchia at the Hotel Traiano. One reason I chose the hotel was that they offered a very good rate for transfers from the airport to their hotel. So ask at your hotel.

We did that when we sailed on the Freedom in 2007 and will be doing the same next year on the Dream.

Archived