Massive upgrades to Millennium / May 2009 drydock info

florisdekort

Sailed Millenium last year and Solstice this year. Here's the areas in which Mille is better, imho, and I hope they don't change.

* Persian Gardens:
--Very nice and relaxing on M (quiet, dark, multiple shower settings, three rooms and heated benches), a serious disappointment on S (bright, noisy, two shower settings, two rooms, 8 heated benches)
--Everything in working order on M. on S a window was borded over, a room didn't work for a day, mold smell in steam area, cracked ceiling, meditation music only sporadic.
--No additional fees, that I recall, for access to Persian Gardens on M. They added a "gratuity" of $17.90 in addition to the $179 access fee on S (I complained "gratuity to whom and for what?" and had it reversed).

* Aqua Spa area:
--T-pool on M is wonderful. S is just a pool. Please don't remove the T-pool!
-- area is warm on M, over-airconditioned on S.

* Aqua Spa Cafe:
-- Food is great on both. but only 9 tables on S and people had to stand and eat! Ample seating on M.

* Oceanview Cafe:
--trays on M are better then walking around looking for a table while you balance a plate, a cup, and silverware tucked under your arm on S. Got bumped once and sauce spilled on my shirt. Would rather it had spilled on a tray.
--Ample seating on M. Terrible seating on S. You can do three laps before finding a table at breakfast or lunch. Husband once sat on the floor to eat to make a point (shame on him, I know.) This is much nicer and less crowded on M.

* Olympic/Murano:
--both excellent, but M had a wine pairing for $27/pp and S's wine pairing was prohibitive at $140/pp. Cheese course is offered on M, not offered on S though I think you can ask for it.

* Main Dining Room:
--full lobster on M, a partial (three bite) lobster on S. But overall S dining room food is better and better presentation
--M has -- or had --soup and salad courses. S combines them
--M has late night bites, S does not.

* Standard balcony room
--I miss the water you get on M, just ice on S
--much more storage space on M and closet easier to access. (on S I needed extra hangers to hang t-shirts I would normally put in a drawer), though overall more space in an S room and much better bathrooms.

* Classes
--Computer classes were included on M, charge is $25 on S.

* Theater
--M has less crowded theater and tables to put drinks on. S is very crowded and has holes in armrests for drinks
--M had an announcement before each show that included "no reserving of seats." S did not and a group of ill-behaved people on the 1/25 sailing "reserved" the first five rows every night by positioning trolls at the ends of each row to turn others away. Passengers complained and they made the announcement once on S.

[quote name='mpicard']Sailed Millenium last year and Solstice this year. Here's the areas in which Mille is better, imho, and I hope they don't change....[click here for the post]
[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18014285&postcount=52[/url][/quote]

Thank you so much for this very informative posting. I know that took time and thought.

It seems ship designs are truly in a downward trend ...the best amenities are either being abandoned (T pool ...promenade decks :eek: [I hear S has only ONE open deck, and not all of it is open, for ALL passengers to gather on when wanting to watch sites from the ship :confused:]) ... or fees added to use amenities that should be included (e.g. certain spa areas); ...spaces are getting smaller or more crowded (e.g. more crowded buffets, more crowded pool areas, less open deck area) while pax numbers are getting bigger; I could go on.

I'm happy to hear the M class may be refurbished soon, and I hope X finally remembers they built their reputation primarily on their food quality. However, I still think the RCI Radiance class is the [I]best designed [/I]ship, by far, [I]that I've sailed[/I]. M class would be tied with Pride of Aloha for second best design ...my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
I had heard this before, and yes it is happening. Like rccl with the rockwalls, Celebrity wants to have some consistency on all the ships....

M class are the best designed ships out there until the Solstice came out! Design and decor wise, Radiance class are nice too just to much brass and odd color choices in furniture etc.

I found many open areas on Solstice, the solstice deck, aft lawn club seating, wrap around promenade deck with teak chairs, wide pool area,

• 1 month later...
Has anyone heard for sure if these improvements are indeed being done in the upcoming dry dock? The last pictures I saw of the cabins looked pretty... dumpy. Any news of changing the bedding? The Century was so nice, but the pictures I have seen of the cabins on the Milli and the Summit, do not look so great.

Thanks!

[quote name='hylasgirl']Has anyone heard for sure if these improvements are indeed being done in the upcoming dry dock? The last pictures I saw of the cabins looked pretty... dumpy. Any news of changing the bedding? The Century was so nice, but the pictures I have seen of the cabins on the Milli and the Summit, do not look so great.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Thank you making the comment above. I am seriously considering booking the Millennium, but, like you, feel the bedding has seen better days. At least that's my opinion of the photos I have reviewed.

Does anyone have updated information on the scope of work for the May drydock?

[B]B[/B]

[quote name='Gold Coast Cruisers']Hello Lois,
I am trying to find out when Millie was last refurbished, or hasn't she been refurbished since she was launched??
Someone earlier on this thread said she is in need of refurbishment. Have you sailed on her recently?
We're wondering whether to book on her for Christmas/New Year...I noted your input on that thread, thank you.
So many decisions.:confused:[/quote]
I don't know what portion of Mille "RED wave" (As rouge means red) was on, we read his review before our 1/18 cruise, and spent the time we were aboard (lots of tour time in NZ/Aust.) and found VERY little to get too upset about. A few seats were worn in the buffet, Dining room was clean & neat...no very worn carpet that we ever saw. Perhaps if you're they type of person that will only go to a 5* hotel etc. you would have found more than we did. I am also led to believe the soft goods are in for replacement in May, also flat screen TV's for other than suites that already had them. Our Cc aft cabin was in pretty good shape, but the sofa etc was strange colors. Our main problem was the food quality...don't think it's the new chef but the economy pushing the decline in food...when Sky Suites were going for less than 1/2 price, something has to be cut back?? Too bad they tried to serve the same old same old but inferior quality. A good meal from Chili's would have been superior in many cases.:rolleyes:

Got a response from Celebrity that the dry dock in May is still scheduled, but they would not commit to upgrades:

"The Celebrity Millennium is still scheduled to dry dock from May 8-22, 2009.

Regrettably, we have not been given the details of the dry dock. Please check
back with us after this period."

[quote name='phoenix_dream']Got a response from Celebrity that the dry dock in May is still scheduled, but they would not commit to upgrades:

"The Celebrity Millennium is still scheduled to dry dock from May 8-22, 2009.

Regrettably, we have not been given the details of the dry dock. Please check
back with us after this period."[/QUOTE]

That response makes me want to run out and book a cruise on the Millennium... NOT!

[B]B[/B]

[quote name='bellebaby']That response makes me want to run out and book a cruise on the Millennium... NOT!

[B]B[/B][/quote]

For people who are considering booking the Millenium, it would be reassuring for them to know what will happen, i.e. good for business to advertise all the upgrades that will happen.

And it would help keep bookings for people like me who are nervous about the condition of the ship and the current reviews I have been reading on CC.

How about some information, Celebrity??? Press release?? Leak out some information to CC?? :confused:

[quote name='takemewithyou']For people who are considering booking the Millenium, it would be reassuring for them to know what will happen, i.e. good for business to advertise all the upgrades that will happen.

And it would help keep bookings for people like me who are nervous about the condition of the ship and the current reviews I have been reading on CC.

How about some information, Celebrity??? Press release?? Leak out some information to CC?? :confused:[/QUOTE]

In the past with major ungrades, they always issue a press release around the time the ship goes back in service.

Archived