TA's Going Out of Business?

sail7seas

My TA, a local one-woman shop (maybe 1.5), seems to be doing ok. She has a receptionist, if that's any indication.

We have quite a few b&m's around here; only one that I can think of has a lot of agents in the shop.

Mine squeaked thru 9/11, barely, and I hope she will make it thru the current downturn. She's a pleasure to work with, knows all my preferences and keeps on top of things.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still prefer to do business face-to-face, especially when I'm spending thousands of dollars. I cannot count the number of times, my problems have been solved by a "person" in a local "office". I'm way to impatient to put up with the phone trees when it comes to doing business over the phone. The other day, when I tried to book some last-minute tickets over the internet, I was stopped dead in my tracks by some sort of Mastercard security code that I'd never heard of. (Turned out, my card company has a new policy but had not bothered to tell us card-holders about it.) One very pleasant visit to my local travel agency (during business hours) seems to be all I need to get everything handled at once. I still appreciate that personal touch and I REALLY like having someone to call when things such as schedule changes come up at the last minute. To answer the original posters question.....no.....in our town, the brick and morter agencies are all still prospering.....thank goodness!

I live in the Boston area and we still do have some brick and mortar agencies. Some did close after 9/11 but others still are hanging on. I book all my flights, hotels, and most cruises on line. I will book trips to Europe if the trip is to an English speaking country. It is amazing what is available for booking on line. If I am going to a country where I don't speak the language I do go through a TA. For some reason it just makes me feel a little more secure.

One general thought on the original question.

Over the course of the past 10-15 years many people are no longer going anywhere for services. Some personal examples:

• We used to shop at a local mall for clothing, household items, etc. I can't remember the last time we went. Most of the clothes that I wear for work come via the internet. Slacks, shirts, ties, even shoes (and I need special slip proof shoes). My tuxedo for cruising came from the internet also.
  • We used to be at the bank at least once a week. Now there is direct deposit, internet bill payment, etc. If I would need a loan for anything there is an open line of credit that I can access via the internet also. So the bank is maybe a once a month visit now.
  • The first time I took a flight I actually had to buy the ticket at the airport.:eek: Now I can compare and buy in my bathrobe.

So, it's not surprising that TA's would be closing unless they have strong relations with their clients. And since people move away or die, they need clients that will refer others and convince new travellers that it's worth getting out of your "jammies" to go to the office and talk to them personally.

The B&M offices that have limited hours and/or specialize in a limited product like cruises only are IMHO headed for extinction.

Charlie

Yup, going the way of the buggy whip

What are the consequences of a TA going out of business when it comes to your booking? I know that deposits (should) go straight to the cruise line, so those should be safe. But I have also heard of cruise lines refusing to deal directly with customers when it comes to a TA placed booking. Well what if that TA is no longer there? Do you get to pay the cruise line the balance due directly? Do you still get to cruise? Do you have to cancel that booking and start over?

The other day, when I tried to book some last-minute tickets over the internet, I was stopped dead in my tracks by some sort of Mastercard security code that I'd never heard of. (Turned out, my card company has a new policy but had not bothered to tell us card-holders about it.)

Are you talking about the code on the back of the card next to your name? Most on-line transactions now require this to make sure you actually have the card in hand.

What are the consequences of a TA going out of business when it comes to your booking? I know that deposits (should) go straight to the cruise line, so those should be safe. But I have also heard of cruise lines refusing to deal directly with customers when it comes to a TA placed booking. Well what if that TA is no longer there? Do you get to pay the cruise line the balance due directly? Do you still get to cruise? Do you have to cancel that booking and start over?
I don't recall the experience ever coming up on the boards. But, a booking is a booking. I have to believe that the cruise line would take over any bookings from the insolvent TA. With businesses starting up all the time and the attrition rate being relatively high it must be something that happens frequently.

The only real headache is if the TA is not getting the money to the cruise line in a timely manner. That's why it's important to use a credit card and make sure that the charges are made to the cruise line and not to the TA. Note: If you buy insurance through the TA it may be 3rd party insurance and the billing may show the TA's or the insurance company's name on your statement. Also, remember that you can check your billings on line and not have to wait until the end of the billing cycle.

Charlie

Jade, the online charge I was making asked for the three-digit code on the back of the card. Then it also asked for the new security code. This code is created by "registering" the card and assigning a series of numbers and letters of my own choosing. It goes one step beyond the security of the number printed on my card. This new security feature would be almost impossible for someone to obtain without my permission.

Booked via HAL for our first cruise. For the second cruise, three out of the four TA's mentioned by HAL as contacts were closed. The fourth couldn't come close to the Travelocity price I got for our suite.

I would rather support a local business but not at the cost of spending an EXTRA $800 on a cruise.

I happen to be a travel agent and I along with thousands of other agents are working at home these days. It is not my agency butIi work with them and for them. (They also are at home agents) All licensed and insured.

The overhead is better and we can still service our clients by having them visit our home or by going to theirs or meeting somewhere.:)

I deal in personal service and do not try to compete with the online agencies. (You will not get one on one service-in person-from them)

I am writing this just to let you know that all agents have not gone out of business, just moved to a less expensive office:cool:

[quote name='sweet sheep'][COLOR=indigo][SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic]I happen to be a travel agent and I along with thousands of other agents are working at home these days. It is not my agency butIi work with them and for them. (They also are at home agents) All licensed and insured.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=indigo]The overhead is better and we can still service our clients by having them visit our home or by going to theirs or meeting somewhere.:)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=indigo]I deal in personal service and do not try to compete with the online agencies. (You will not get one on one service-in person-from them)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=indigo]I am writing this just to let you know that all agents have not gone out of business, just moved to a less expensive office:cool:[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[/quote]

[B]It now requires an appointment for your clients to see you. It has lost the spur of the moment ability to 'drop in'. Another appointment people have to schedule in their lives...... groan. I understand the need but the customer loses IMO
Also, how would a potential new customer ever know you exist? Other than referral, how do you get new business?

I wouldn't a clue where/who there is an 'at home agent' in my area.
[/B]

I worked for a very large travel company that was very much internet oriented in the 90's before the internet really developed how it has...they are still in business and growing more than ever....I moved to a local travel agency that had 14 offices as a manager in the early 2000's ...they had the majority of the city's travel business (local) at that time....9/11 did hurt them for awhile....but the biggest problem they have had is that they never believed in the internet....no online booking engine, just relied on walk-in's and past customers....well, they are down to one office now, and I believe that is struggling. I have been an at home agent for years with a very large company with strong internet presence and business is great. Companies need to keep up with the internet, and unfortunatly, some smaller company's cannot compete and will go out of business.....even with the economy as weak as it is, I haven't seen a significant decline in business....Sep, Oct and Nov are historically slow months in the industry...

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Also, how would a potential new customer ever know you exist? Other than referral, how do you get new business?
[/B][/quote] Agents who are home-based will work for what is called a host agency. This is the "big" travel company with an Internet presence. When inquiries come from the local agent's area, the host agency sends them that information. Referrals are great, and often the best kind of business. And, of course, a good TA is always scouring for business themself.

Archived