Booking Airfare?

firstcruise2009

Hello All:

As you can tell from my member name, I will be taking my first cruise in August 2009 to the Western Mediterranean on RCCL. This website has been very helpful in giving me an idea of things to do, but I was trying to get a sense of when people book their airfare, esp. since the cruise I will be on isn't for another 10 months. I haven't been able to figure out where the search function is so I thought I would just ask.

If you all would be so kind as to share when you have booked your airfare for cruises leaving from Europe I would greatly appreciate it.

I thank you in advance!

firstcruise2009 :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic - you will LOVE this site and its contributors. I have found invaluable info. over the years here.

DH and I are taking our cruise in April and haven't booked airfare yet. When we first started looking, airfare from D.C. to Rome was $1,200. Now it's down to $825.

I check Kayak frequently. Airfare Watchdog and Smarter Travel are good websites - sign up for their free email alerts.

Good luck!

Debbie

I would start to look at flights so that you get a sense of what the cost is and then check prices often as they can change frequently and then book the flights when you feel that the airfare is what you want.

On a related note, I highly recommend flying in one or more days prior to your cruise. There are many advantages including getting over the jet lag, exploring the city that you are beginning the cruise from and most importantly if your flight is delayed or cancelled you will still have time to get another flight and not miss the ship.

Keith

Kayak dot com is the way to go - they pull fares from all major websites and airlines. Start shopping now so you can keep an eye on the rise and fall of prices so you'll know what a good deal is - that way if prices dip one day you'll know if its a good deal and whether to jump on it.

Be careful not to book too far ahead if you don't have travel insurance.

Also - I second the recommendation to go a day or 2 early!

Kayak dot com is the way to go - they pull fares from all major websites and airlines. Start shopping now so you can keep an eye on the rise and fall of prices so you'll know what a good deal is - that way if prices dip one day you'll know if its a good deal and whether to jump on it.

Be careful not to book too far ahead if you don't have travel insurance.

Also - I second the recommendation to go a day or 2 early!

Yes, Kayak is good, but be sure to also check the airlines' own websites for deals/sales etc. I found a Delta direct flight to Rome this November for a rock bottom price.

If your itinerary is tricky or if you have particular flights in mind, I wouldn't wait too long to book them. August fares are not going to be the cheapest and with so many summer travelers things may get booked up.

for shorter domestic flights i generally start watching prices once i book no matter how far out. never know when a deal may pop-up. and checking the individual airlines site as well as travel sites is a good idea. when the price loooks good i go ahead and buy.

for the longer trans-atlantic flights i start looking as soon as tickets are available (334 days maybe?). when i find good seats on flights and times i like i will go ahead and buy 'em. comfort and convenience trump cost on the over night flights.

dj

Flights around the time of our upcoming Med cruise have dropped substantially the last month--several hundred dollars pp. I found our fare using Kayak, then checked the airline website too--there was a particular Delta non stop I wanted. I got a great deal when I bought using Cheap Tickets, but when I checked the airline the other day their costs are now about the same as what I paid. I DID get the flight I wanted, though.

Anyway my point is that now may be a great time to book. AND I know on Delta if you find that the price has dropped they will credit you with the difference, so it's not too early to start checking!

And I want to THIRD the idea of flying in at least a day early! No way would I go to Europe on the day of sailing--too many 'if's'!

Cathy

Thank you all for responses and insight!

We are trying to use some miles we have with Delta to book one ticket and then purchase the other (for my DH and I). Also DH is very picky about where he sits on the plane so I was thinking if we book the tickets as early as possible then I will have a better chance of using the miles and picking a seat he would be comfortable with. I am glad to see some of you have booked tickets "early" for similar reasons.

As for flying in early we are definitely flying in about 3 days early. We might spend a day or two in Paris "just because" and then meet up with the rest of our group in Barcelona the day before the cruise departs. I have experienced far too many delays when flying to feel comfortable flying in the morning of the cruise departure.

Once again, many thanks for sharing! :)

Well, I don't know what your traveling 'tastes' are, but we stayed in a great boutique hotel in Paris after our Med cruise last year--right across the street from The Pantheon with a wrought-iron balcony looking out on it--incredible all lit up at night! And from the street outside one could look all the way down to the Eiffel Tower.

It is called Les Grandes Hommes after the great men enshrined at the Pantheon. Also, about 2 blocks to the Metro. Great rates when we went, although I would skip the breakfast as there are a host of cafes nearby where you can get the same thing for half price.

Just a thought on a cold and snowy October morning!

You will love your cruise, too.

Cathy

For our Prinsendam transatlantic on Oct. 30, 2008, I began looking for airline fares as soon as possible which I think is 300 days in advance. I booked on January 4, 2008 because I didn't think fares would go down anytime soon. For the one-way fare to Athens I used an airfare consolidator. The fare wasn't half as much as a round trip fare but was a whole lot better than airline one-way fares.

Archived