Non-cruising guests allowed on ships?

tomko2

I realize this is probably a dumb question but I hear the announcements at the time of the safety drill indicating that all persons on the ship not going on the cruise must now leave. So, that leads me to wonder whom is being addressed? In the old days cruisers could invite friends and family on the ship for a Bon Voyage party, etc. Are there circumstances under which non-cruisers could be invited onboard?

Just wondering.

Kathy

I do a lot of ship tours with my TA when a ship is docked in SF for the day. We tour the ship, have refreshments (either a lunch or cocktail reception) and if there are any empty cabins we can see those. Most of the time the ships are sold out so we can only catch glimpses into the cabins when the attendants are cleaning them.

The Radiance was here a few weeks ago and we actually got to see the Royal Suite because it hadn't been booked.

We do have to disembark by a certain time. They hold our driver's license or other ID while we are on the ship, so they can tell if we haven't gotten off.

We got to go see VOS and get pictures with the Staff Captain and Hotel Director last Spring. Would love to have stayed on that week, but we were non-sailing guests.

I beleive some wedding guests can go aboard on a non-sailing status as well. It all takes a bit of coordination.

We got to go see VOS and get pictures with the Staff Captain and Hotel Director last Spring. Would love to have stayed on that week, but we were non-sailing guests.

I beleive some wedding guests can go aboard on a non-sailing status as well. It all takes a bit of coordination.

Dave I have replied to your post on the much lower prices thread.

When we were boarding Liberty last winter there were two wedding parties waiting to board. They waited and waited with the rest of us, then were herded on to the ship. No one looked like they were having fun at all, and it looked like a big pain in the rear. We agreed it seemed pretty stupid to make all your guests drive to a port and drag them on and off just to say the vows on a ship. Would have been so much easier to do it elsewhere.:rolleyes:

Some TA invited clients to view a certain ship in port for lunch.

Usualy they are large agencys that invite loyal clients.To show the ship and cabins.

Been invited several times but its to much for me now to drive to San Pedro.

Check with your TA if they have that service.

When we were boarding Liberty last winter there were two wedding parties waiting to board. They waited and waited with the rest of us, then were herded on to the ship. No one looked like they were having fun at all, and it looked like a big pain in the rear. We agreed it seemed pretty stupid to make all your guests drive to a port and drag them on and off just to say the vows on a ship. Would have been so much easier to do it elsewhere.:rolleyes:

LoL same here we were in line to get on the freedom and we were in the first group to get in on the ship .We were in the middle of this wedding party and they were all dress to the nines we were in shorts and tees felt weard. We waited and waited and waited while standing in a room that was not to cool .. Just thought that whole set up could have been thought out way better.

smile.gif

Its just not vows..........the ceremony is followed by a reception...........no different than driving to any "building" for a reception......

I have been to a cruise ship wedding and it was very nice.........(nicer still most of the guests,inc myself stayed onboard for the cruise too)........only a few left........I think thats the case with most weddings onboard.......

LoL same here we were in line to get on the freedom and we were in the first group to get in on the ship .We were in the middle of this wedding party and they were all dress to the nines we were in shorts and tees felt weard. We waited and waited and waited while standing in a room that was not to cool .. Just thought that whole set up could have been thought out way better.

smile.gif

USUALLY, the wedding parties go on first BEFORE any other guests......not sure why you and others were in the middle of the wedding parties.......sounds like someone goofed..........

smile.gif

They made a movie about you: Wedding Crashers

:D

Been on a couple of ships out of Miami, as guests of our guest entertainer friend. We had to give RCI, our details, Passport number, DL number date and place of birth etc, at least 5 days before, they then collected out ID as we boarded and gave us a pass on a lanyard, were free to go to any normal passenger areas on the ship and also to use the windjammer and bars etc. Only problem was we had no charging privalages, so our friend had to buy us all drinks!!!:D

Its just not vows..........the ceremony is followed by a reception...........no different than driving to any "building" for a reception......

I have been to a cruise ship wedding and it was very nice.........(nicer still most of the guests,inc myself stayed onboard for the cruise too)........only a few left........I think thats the case with most weddings onboard.......

Not like any other "building", when 3000 strangers are coming into the building with you and you stand in a waiting room for an hour with hundreds of them. For these two weddings it appeared most guests were not cruising, they almost all had special nametags that identified them for boarding as non-cruisers.

I used to work for Carnival in their reservations department and we went on ship tours 4 times. I missed the 4th. During our training we were taking on several different class ships to see what we offered, what the different category staterooms looked like and to get a feel for the ships. We were only on for about 3 hours or so.

We got married onboard Mariner in December. We all flew in the day before and enjoyed a nice dinner in Orlando that evening. We were instructed to arrive at the port around 10:00 AM, and we were the first to board (along with another wedding party). 14 of our guests did not sail, so they had some time to explore the ship before our ceremony, and we had a nice reception after the ceremony. They all had to be off of the ship by 3:30. It may sound like a hassle, but it really wasn't - all of our guests had a great time!

Archived