Kenai Fjords Tours

B&J1

I hope I'm not breaking the rules by asking this....I don't think I am but anyway....I'm a little confused (not unusual), is Kenai Fjord Tours the only operator that does the National Park tours or r there other companies? If so, who have u used & what was your experience?

Also, we r planning on arriving on the train from Anchorage which arrives at 11 am, will that allow enough time for a 11:30 departure on the Kenia fjords tour? Our cruise doesn't leave until the following day at 8 pm so we could do the tour the following day I believe if we would be cutting it too close.

Oh, 1 more thing.....would u recommend the "Captian's Choice" tour or the "Northwestern Tour" over the 6 hr tour? (Not sure we can even do those due to our time constaints). Thx for all your help!

The tour operators are:

http://www.renowntours.com/

http://www.majormarine.com/

http://www.kenaifjords.com/

I've always gone the the latter and had good experiences. Of the first 2, I *think* one might have acquired the other, but I'm not sure - someone will know.

Your arrival by train around 11 is no problem; the tour operators realize many people are coming by train. They have small shuttles that will pick you up at the train depot and take you to the nearby pier, which is very close and walkable. Just know that you will have to hustle a bit and won't have time to waste.

I have gone with all three companies, but with Alaska Heritage the most. Renown has bought out Major Marine, but still sold separately. By far, my preference is always the Northwestern Fjords tour. But, I also always use "coupons" that are available for purchase and take advantage of those offers. A couple times I have gone on two trips a visit. You definately have time for any boat tour, the next day.

The vendors are at the Seward depot picking up passengers for the 11:30a trip, a big bulk of their business, so no problem making this timeframe.

At this time Major Marine is offering a 20% discount for booking your tour online. However, when I look at the maps of where each of the tours go, I find that Kenaifjords Northwestern Fjords Tour has a longer route and you view more glaciers.

BQ - where would I obtain the "coupons" that are available for purchase? There are 4 of us going and a price break would be helpful.

Thanks,

K.

At this time Major Marine is offering a 20% discount for booking your tour online. However, when I look at the maps of where each of the tours go, I find that Kenaifjords Northwestern Fjords Tour has a longer route and you view more glaciers.

BQ - where would I obtain the "coupons" that are available for purchase? There are 4 of us going and a price break would be helpful.

Thanks,

K.

Northern Lights, Toursaver

Ahhh...there in lies the rub....I was seriously considering the Kenaifjords Northwestern Fjords Tour & had already scoped out the discount coupon I'd heard of before....but thx BQ (u know AK so well!) and I didn't think time would allow on either day...arriving Saturday at 11 am & then on Sunday with the boat leaving at 8 pm. I don't really want to spend 3 days in Seward as that would mean 1 less day for Denali. We r flying inot anchorage Tues. evening 6/16/09. Plan on getting back into Anchorage after Denali Friday evening (19th). I already feel as though I would like more time in Denali so I guess we'll probably go with the 6 hr tour. It's good to know they expect people from the train....I assume they'll store our luggage while we're on the tour. Thx for the info guys!!! We r sooooo looking forward to our first visit to AK. :)

Ahhh...there in lies the rub....I was seriously considering the Kenaifjords Northwestern Fjords Tour & had already scoped out the discount coupon I'd heard of before....but thx BQ (u know AK so well!) and I didn't think time would allow on either day...arriving Saturday at 11 am & then on Sunday with the boat leaving at 8 pm. I don't really want to spend 3 days in Seward as that would mean 1 less day for Denali. We r flying inot anchorage Tues. evening 6/16/09. Plan on getting back into Anchorage after Denali Friday evening (19th). I already feel as though I would like more time in Denali so I guess we'll probably go with the 6 hr tour. It's good to know they expect people from the train....I assume they'll store our luggage while we're on the tour. Thx for the info guys!!! We r sooooo looking forward to our first visit to AK. :)

In my opinion, you, can do the Northwestern Fjords trip your day of embarkement with a 8pm departure, BUT verify what your particular embarkment timeframe is. Some lines are going to a 2 hour prior window The above poster is in error. These trips get back at 6pm, not 6:30pm and Kenai Fjords will drop you right off at your ship. I would recommend you drop off your bags prior to your boat tour, at the ship, in the bins- properly taged. And the "4 hour" tour in no way is worthwhile, these are the Bay trips, that frequently see little or no wildlife. I never recommend anything less tha 6 hours on the water.

The problem with the Northwestern tour if you're only spending one night is the time it leaves and gets back, you couldn't go the day you take the train to Seward, and the next day you have a ship to catch and it doesn't get back till 6:30.

These trips return at 6pm and they will shuttle you right to the ship. Depending on the embarkment timeframe, people can certainly consider these.

These trips return at 6pm and they will shuttle you right to the ship. Depending on the embarkment timeframe, people can certainly consider these.

This is what it says on the Alaska Heritage website when you pull up the reservation form:

9 ½ Hour Northwestern Fjord Cruise 900am-630pm On this tour we travel farther into Kenai Fjords National Park than any other daily tour operator. This premium full-day cruise is the only day tour visiting magnificent Northwestern Fjord. Enjoy the spectacular Northwestern Fjord, whales and other amazing wildlife, 3 tidewater glaciers, fully-narrated tour, accredited interpreters, breakfast and hot lunch. This cruise is 150 miles round trip. We also visit the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge, home to a large variety of whales, seabirds, stellar sea lions, sea otters and more. Dress in layers and bring your camera. Please check in at the small boat harbor 1 hour before your departure time.

Looking at the links posted above, the day cruises to Kenai Fjord look amazing...

Would a Kenai Fjord cruise still be recommended if we are planning a northbound cruise which cruises Prince William Sound and College Fjord the day before arriving in Whittier?

This is what it says on the Alaska Heritage website when you pull up the reservation form:

It says 6pm on their day cruise list. I've taken this several times, I've never gotten back at 6:30pm, but have not gone in 2 years. Best would be to inquire direct. http://www.kenaifjords.com/545.cfm

Budget Queen where did you get coupons for the 9.5 hour Northwestern Fjord cruise. I could only find coupons for the 6 hour National Park tour ?

The offers change every year, in the past, they also did take the value of the shorter tour off the Northwestern Fjords tour. You could ask??? But it could just as well not be available this year.

Looking at the links posted above, the day cruises to Kenai Fjord look amazing...

Would a Kenai Fjord cruise still be recommended if we are planning a northbound cruise which cruises Prince William Sound and College Fjord the day before arriving in Whittier?

You have no idea, they most certainly are not comparable and a Kenai Fjords tour, grossly superior to anything seen from your cruise ship.

However, you got the disadvantage of arriving in Whittier, which also has the very worthwhile Prince William Sound boat tours. Definately another way superior vs cruiseship touring option. You need to arrange transportation Whittier/Seward which requires time and money. Most direct is a costly one way car rental with Avis. There also are independent taxis/shuttles direct between the two. The cheapest option is to backtrack Anchorage, and get a rental car, or take the train. Again, TIME is necessary.

The Prince William Sound day cruises and the Kenai Fjords day cruises are both worth your time since their emphasis is on different sights. Prince William Sound trips are best known for their visits to numerous tidewater glaciers, some of which can be quite active with spectacular calving of ice. The Kenai Fjords trip emphasis the diverse wildlife of the region although the scenery is spectacular and you do visit a glacier on the longer (i.e. 6 hour+) tours.

As much as I like Denali, my favorite activity in the summer is one of the boat trips from Whittier or Seward. They rarely disappoint.

You have no idea, they most certainly are not comparable and a Kenai Fjords tour, grossly superior to anything seen from your cruise ship.

However, you got the disadvantage of arriving in Whittier, which also has the very worthwhile Prince William Sound boat tours. Definately another way superior vs cruiseship touring option. You need to arrange transportation Whittier/Seward which requires time and money. Most direct is a costly one way car rental with Avis. There also are independent taxis/shuttles direct between the two. The cheapest option is to backtrack Anchorage, and get a rental car, or take the train. Again, TIME is necessary.

So if time is of the essence (just wanting to maximize land time), would you suggest the Prince william Sound tours out of Whittier over driving to Seward for the Kenai Fjord tour?

So if time is of the essence (just wanting to maximize land time), would you suggest the Prince william Sound tours out of Whittier over driving to Seward for the Kenai Fjord tour?

Again, what time are you looking at??? This location is a must, if varied wildlife is your priority. Otherwise, PWS boat tours are glaciers.

Looking at early/mid June.

Nothing is set in stone, just exploring/weighing all options.

Sorry, how much time do you have after your cruise?? You are going at peak experience. :)

You need at least 2 extra full, days, if you wish to include both PWS and Kenai fjords boat tours. So looking at 2 overnights, min.

Again, nothing set in stone. We've kicked around the idea of 3-5 extra days. I've not really started exploring our land options - just Kenia Fjord and PWS cruises so far. Denali is a maybe at this point. I'll keep researching what all there is to do and then decide priority of each later. I know I won't be able to do EVERYTHING I want to do in one trip...

I thought the Kenai Fjord trip might be something we could do the day we end the cruise. Apparently not. but it looks like PWS cruise is doable on that day though, right?

If your cruise is going out of Whittier, you could easily do the Prince William Sound cruises before embarking on the cruise ship. If you go out of Whittier but want to do Kenai Fjords, I'd recommend doing that one the day before you cruise leaves and spend the night in either Seward or Anchorage.

Archived