Santorini car rental

Anyone have any experience with car rentals in Santorini? Where did you pick up your car, some rental companies say at the port, but I understand we tender and have to go up the hill to Fira, and that the port is where the Ferries come in. Any help or suggestions is needed...:confused: :confused: Thanks Mary

Yes, you have to get up the hill to the town of Fira (choice of walking up very steep hill, cable car or donkeys). We had planned to rent a large ATV for two for the day (looked like fun), but my husband felt it was too unstable, so we ended up renting a car from Europecar on the main traffic street near the bus station. I cannot drive a stick shift, so I had to get an automatic, and we had no trouble getting one without an advance reservation. I believe it cost 35 or 40 Euros, including gas and insurance. Parking everywhere was easy and well marked, driving was easy as well, and we were in Santorini on a day that many cruise ships were in port.

FYI, Greek rental car companies do not care if you carry an international driver's license, but I have read in several guidebooks that if you do not have one and you have an accident, you will pay a very large fine to the police. You can get one for $15 from AAA at any of their offices; they last one year, so I was able to use the one I had gotten for my trip to France last fall.

Just returned (Oct. 11) from a 24-day cruise that included two stops in Santorini, our favorite stop after Venice. The first time we "did" Thira (Fira) by just doing the cable car up and walked back down after walking all over the village itselft. The second time we were the only ship in port, so when we got to the top and kept walking towards the "real street" to catch the bus we saw the Hertz car rental place just as you get to the street (on the opposite side of the street from which you are on..so it is right ahead of you)...we decided immediately to do that and we loved it. 40 E is about right for the day. We had from noon until 11 pm on the island but we used the car from about 1 to about 5:30 or so. In that time we drove to the lighthouse at one end of the island, to a lovely hill they recommended (NOT the big one) for lovely views and overall "village feel", ate at a restaurant overlooking the caldera, then headed to Oia (about 3 o'clock at this point) where we quickly walked the main areas of it so we could return to Thira by sundown. We didn't want to be on the winding road after sundown. The roads were fine, just a bit tricky finding the Hertz place when we returned, but it was a great day. DO IT.

Jan

Archived