Buying Euros in Advance

I learned from these boards that you can order euros from Wells Fargo--just wanted to get a small stash to get me started. But when I checked their website, they are selling at 1.42--when the current value is 1.34. I am fine with the $8.00 service fee, but not happy with the exchange rate. Does anyone know where you can buy them on line at a better rate?

Thanks,

Cathy

You will not be able to find €s available here for rates anywhere near as low as what they will be in Europe or what the current exchange rate shows. That is why we have always waited to get them in Europe from bank ATM machines, preferably partner banks or at least use debit cards with zero or very small per use withdrawal fees. I know it is a gamble to wait in these volatile financial markets, but then the exchange rate MAY become even more favorable for us (or not). If you have some time monitor Wells Fargo's rates to see if it gets any better, than buy if you want. Back in May 2007 we felt fortunate to pay 1.33 ($ to €), but that was when we were in Europe using ATM's.

My experience is the same as lambs2 reports. Any exchange done by bank in the US before leaving is going to be at an unfavorable rate -- whether it is the service fees or the actual exchange rate used.

I don't argue with having a small amount of euros, but I would use an ATM once you arrive for the best rate. If you are concerned about the daily withdrawal limit, talk to your bank before you go. They can often raise the limit, at least temporarily.

Oh, I know about using the ATM's--I am just paranoid because when we were in France post-cruise all of a sudden my atm didn't work and we were left with no money! I KNEW I had more than enough funds in my account--it was just a computer glitch and it made me very nervous. We were later able to get $$$, well EEE, but the experience really upset me.

That's why I thought I would take some up front; just to soothe my soul!

I may just bite the bullet and take the lousy exchange rate just for the peace of mind. I will still use the ATM's when we get there and keep my stash for emergencies until we get to Venice.

I found another recommended exchange site and their rate was worse than WF!

Thx cp

Oh, I know about using the ATM's--I am just paranoid because when we were in France post-cruise all of a sudden my atm didn't work and we were left with no money! I KNEW I had more than enough funds in my account--it was just a computer glitch and it made me very nervous. We were later able to get $$$, well EEE, but the experience really upset me.

That's why I thought I would take some up front; just to soothe my soul!

I may just bite the bullet and take the lousy exchange rate just for the peace of mind. I will still use the ATM's when we get there and keep my stash for emergencies until we get to Venice.

I found another recommended exchange site and their rate was worse than WF!

I did a web search last year and found a Canadian Company to buy Euros and the exchange rate was better. I always keep 100Euros from the last trip so I can get a taxi and other stuff before finding an ATM.

Bank of America will also deliver Euros for 7.50. I ended up going to Chase (I have an account with them) and ordering Euros. Their exchange rate was not as good, but they didn't charge a service fee.

I too wanted a small amount so I don't have to worry about finding an ATM right away.

I looked there too (BofA). But Wells charges $8.00 for FedEx overnight delivery--I don't mind paying that at all. It looks like Wells has the best rate too--maybe it's not reasonable to expect to get 1.34.

Thanks for the replies

cp

Another alternative is to go to a Thomas Cook or similar currency exchange booth when you arrive if you don't want to use an ATM right off.Just get enough for your needs then..I find they are not as bad as getting them from the US banks,and I know the are not the best,but still...Always save € when you come back..then you can just pick up and go the next time is my motto:D .I think UC banks can suck one dry re currency.And AAA is the worse.

Since you are buying a relatively small amount of Euros, I'd just go with the bank with the best rate that day. Tough to know what's going to happen, but I'd put money on the ex. rates becoming even more favorable to us in the near future.

Thank you all for your advice. I was about to buy Euros also but perhaps I'll just buy enough to get there.

One of the taxi/tour drivers I've contacted said he'd take us by the bank to exchange dollars to Euros. Any advice on the exchange rate at a European bank? In Rome as well as Athens. Of course I won't know whether its a major bank or small bank in that city.

Just the chances we take and the adventures we experience in international travel.... how exciting!!

You can order them from Bank of America and have them shipped to the bank to pick up for no fee. I do not agree that the exchange rate is better over there, honestly we found it to be exactly the same. Although I have no regrets about getting euros in advance...they do not want american money anywhere so if you do not have euros, you have to use a credit card. We all brought about 300 euros each and had to get more while we were there, but their are places everywhere to get some, you wont have to look hard to find a place, including right on the ship.

You can order them from Bank of America and have them shipped to the bank to pick up for no fee. I do not agree that the exchange rate is better over there, honestly we found it to be exactly the same. Although I have no regrets about getting euros in advance...they do not want american money anywhere so if you do not have euros, you have to use a credit card. We all brought about 300 euros each and had to get more while we were there, but their are places everywhere to get some, you wont have to look hard to find a place, including right on the ship.

Thanks -- great perspective and great advice!!

Thanks -- great perspective and great advice!!

We're in the Long Island New York area and Chase Bank branches have euros. There is a $5 fee if you do not have an account with them. Not sure of the exchange rate though...

Joyce

We're in the Long Island New York area and Chase Bank branches have euros. There is a $5 fee if you do not have an account with them. Not sure of the exchange rate though...

Joyce

Thanks for the euro buying info, Joyce!! We're sailing out of Barcelona on Nov 1st also but on the Brilliance of the Seas. We better get on the correct ship!!

Bon Voyage!

Ron

As soon as you arrive in the airport you will find an exchange place right there, and you will not be at a loss to find them anywhere on your trip, we spotted them everywhere. I actually only used them in Sorrento, but you can even do it right on the ship, which a lot of people were doing.

As soon as you arrive in the airport you will find an exchange place right there, and you will not be at a loss to find them anywhere on your trip, we spotted them everywhere. I actually only used them in Sorrento, but you can even do it right on the ship, which a lot of people were doing.

Those that use the airport exchanges should carefully review the charges. Between exchange, service fee and additional charges you can easily lose up to 25%. My brother in-law wasn't paying attention and went to the first exchange after customs and was taken for something close to that.

ATMs are the best, but if your daily limit isn't enough and you need more then that there really isn't too many other options but getting it before you go from your local bank.

Well, I live in a town of 242 people, so I still think my best bet is ordering them from Wells this week! Last time I took a stash of dollars with me and they were useless. I did change them on the ship but the rate was also crummy--I think I will just bite the bullet.

:rolleyes: cp

Hope this does not sound too rude, but to be blunt: why don't you just act rationally and bring two ATM cards (to get past your fear that one won't work), and make one phone call to your banker now to know your daily ATM withdrawal limit and raise it if necessary.

I simply cannot understand why people who do not hesitate to use ATM's on a daily basis in the US fear to do the same in Europe. We are not talking about the back of beyond after all; there are ATM's everywhere there, just like here. Especially with the rise in the dollar, you simply are throwing money away by buying a bundle of Euros ahead of time now for your trip.

If you have any decent bank relationship, your bank should wave any ATM fees for your withdrawals abroad, so you have zero costs.

Of course I have spoken with the bank, know my daily limit, and have advised them I will be traveling in Europe. What happened last time had nothing to do with any of those things--it was just a computer glitch, possibly because my bank is very small. Having a 2nd card would have done no good.

I have absolutely no fear of using the ATM's in Europe and did so multiple times last year--it's just the odd circumstance that I was unable to use it for about 24 hours last time--and having no knowledge that that could happen, was not adequately prepared. That's all I'm trying to do this time--be prepared!

thx cp

I learned from these boards that you can order euros from Wells Fargo--just wanted to get a small stash to get me started. But when I checked their website, they are selling at 1.42--when the current value is 1.34. I am fine with the $8.00 service fee, but not happy with the exchange rate. Does anyone know where you can buy them on line at a better rate?

Thanks,

Cathy

I, too, looked around online in advance and WF had the best exchange rate. I knew that the ATM's overseas would be cheaper, but, like you, I wanted to have a little stash in advance in case there was a problem with the ATM card or ATM's overseas. WF was terrific with my order and it arrived the next day with no problems.

We always purchase euros ahead of time from our bank (Chase). Never have any fees or pay for overnight, just the standard exchange rate. Decided to do this last week when rates were really good for us in the US.

We also use credit cards and ATM’s in Europe, but do always get hit for little charges here and there when we do. But all the charges are not a decision maker one way or another which way we go for funds on our vacation.

Like many, we like to have a few hundred euros on us when we arrive and during the whole trip, just as we do at home. When the funds get low we use the ATM’s. When we can we use the credit cards, which is really the most preferred method to me (a little insurance against fraudulent charges)

For someone to suggest the exchange rates will be better or worse when you arrive and use an ATM is erroneous, I don’t think anyone has that kind of knowledge of the future economic situation.

Enjoy your cruise!;)

John

Thanks,

Cathy

You can get Euros at American Express Online for $1.40 per Euro. However, there's a transaction charge and a UPS charge (can't use USPS for foreign currency mailings) that brings the actual cost per Euro to $1.45.

I found an American Express office that will sell me Euro Travelers Cheques for $1.35 and no transaction fees when I use my American Express Platinum card. Sounds like deal!

I was looking further at the Wells Fargo site and I was curious whether, if you use your credit card to order the euros, it is considered a cash advance and subject to the higher interest rates that most credit cards charge for those.

Does anyone know? Just another thing to consider...

I was looking further at the Wells Fargo site and I was curious whether, if you use your credit card to order the euros, it is considered a cash advance and subject to the higher interest rates that most credit cards charge for those.

Does anyone know? Just another thing to consider...

Cynthia,

I used a cc to order my Euros from WF and it was not considered a cash advance. Just a regular purchase. There should be no fees associated with ordering your Euros online (as long as you pay it off in time, of course! ;)

Cathy, did you purchase euros yet?

Of course I have spoken with the bank, know my daily limit, and have advised them I will be traveling in Europe. What happened last time had nothing to do with any of those things--it was just a computer glitch, possibly because my bank is very small. Having a 2nd card would have done no good.

I have absolutely no fear of using the ATM's in Europe and did so multiple times last year--it's just the odd circumstance that I was unable to use it for about 24 hours last time--and having no knowledge that that could happen, was not adequately prepared. That's all I'm trying to do this time--be prepared!

thx cp

Archived