Port Douglas vs Airlie Beach to see the GBR

NCP

Our ship is stoping in Port Douglas and the next day pn Airlie Beach. We have never been to the GBR.

Does anyone know if it is better to see the Barrier Reef from Port Douglas or Airlie Beach? What are the major differences (if any)?

Should we see both?

Thank you!!

The best place to see the GBR is from Port Douglas as that area is closest to the reef.

It is a wonderful trip and well worth going from there. We have holidayed in Port Douglas many times and love that part of Australia. The reef out from Port Douglas is beautiful.

Airlie Beach is closest to our off shore islands and is the stepping stone to get to Hamilton Island, Hayman Island etc. Your experience down there will be vastly different to the experience you will have up north.

Jennie

I Agee with the last post most of the tours out to the reef include lunch plenty of sea food. you can also hire dive gear from the barge to dive.

not sure how much time you will have but a tour of the daintree rain forrest is worth a visit. Port Douglas is a great small town plenty of very good restaraunts and gift shops. great pubs as well grab a seat sit outside and have a beer the Ozy way.

Our ship is stoping in Port Douglas and the next day pn Airlie Beach. We have never been to the GBR.

Does anyone know if it is better to see the Barrier Reef from Port Douglas or Airlie Beach? What are the major differences (if any)?

Should we see both?

Thank you!!

I agree GBR from Port Douglas would be best. I doubt you'd want to visit twice, as there is lots to do around the Airlie Beach region.

Airlie Beach and its big artificial waterfront lagoon are very popular with backpackers from all over the world. Airlie Beach and Shute Harbour nearby are the departure point to the Whitsunday Islands. Which island to visit is your choice.

Whitehaven Beach is a really beautiful white beach, if you want to just sail and swim.

If you are into bushwalking, you can catch a ferry to South Mole Island nearby and enjoy beautiful views as you walk all over the island in the National Park. People can camp on the beach in the National Park on this island, and others.

If you wish to hire a car/take a tour, Dingo Beach is a beautiful region north of Airlie, as is Cape Gloucester, north of Hideaway Bay.

http://www.capegloucester.com/eco/location/

Love both of these places. Lived and worked in North Queenland for about 5-6 years.

GBR from Port is quicker, but lots of good reef areas around Airlie Beach.

From Airlie the GBR is about a quite a way out - have a look at Fantasea or similar cruiise operator for details.

In Airlie I would do a trip to Whitehaven Beach- a truly wonderful beach (The whole area is spectacular actually)

Many boat companies go there, as the number of backpackers/tourists visiting the area is huge.

I would also suggest a helicopter ride if the weather is great - the colour of the ocean is amazing.

There are many operators in the area - and all I have come across are professional. There are over 100 islands in the WHitsundays (Airlie region) so I am sure you will come across something.

If all else fails, he bar at the Coral Sea resort did a mean Mango Cocktail last time I was here - and the view was spectacular!!!

Enjoy.

Catching up with my travel articles (Sunday Herald Sun), I came across -

"Airlie Beach - the gateway to 74 Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef.

Air Whitsunday which has float plane excursions.

• 2 hour Whitehaven Experience $165 (Aus).

• Reef Fly and Snorkel and Whitehaven Beach Feast Experience - $320 - $380 (Aus).

www.airwhitsunday.com.au

"They fly over the famous Heart Shape Reef, then swoop down to Air Whitsunday's exclusive snorkelling location inside Hardy Reef. Here awaits a semi-submersible vessel.

Sounds like heaven, with not another soul in sight."

Catching up with my travel articles (Sunday Herald Sun), I came across -

"Airlie Beach - the gateway to 74 Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef.

Air Whitsunday which has float plane excursions.

• 2 hour Whitehaven Experience $165 (Aus).

• Reef Fly and Snorkel and Whitehaven Beach Feast Experience - $320 - $380 (Aus).

www.airwhitsunday.com.au

"They fly over the famous Heart Shape Reef, then swoop down to Air Whitsunday's exclusive snorkelling location inside Hardy Reef. Here awaits a semi-submersible vessel.

Sounds like heaven, with not another soul in sight."

Thank you very much!!!

I Agee with the last post most of the tours out to the reef include lunch plenty of sea food. you can also hire dive gear from the barge to dive.

not sure how much time you will have but a tour of the daintree rain forrest is worth a visit. Port Douglas is a great small town plenty of very good restaraunts and gift shops. great pubs as well grab a seat sit outside and have a beer the Ozy way.

Thank you for the information about diving. I had no idea that one could to it from the barge.

Archived