AOS Jr Suite-is the seated balcony view obstructed?

Vbrogdon

I normally cruise on Princess and love their balconies as they have an open feel to them. From the wooden rail down to the floor of the balcony, there is a clear plastic partition so your view is unobstructed. Other than this partition at the bottom, the balcony is completely open facing outward.

When I look at some personal photos from previous passengers, it appears the setup is different for the Adventure of the Seas Jr Suite. I Googled 'ship photos of AOS and some links to personal travelers ship photos came up. Someone had suite# 1312 and and balcony view looked as though it just had a big round hole cut out of the metal for you stand and look out of, and of course when seated, you would be looking at the inside of the metal partition.

Has anyone traveled on this ship in a Jr Suite that can confirm? I would appreciate any feedback as I'm trying to get this cruise for May 24th 2009 booked this weekend. I would just stay with what I know and go with Princess but my company gave me as a bonus $2000 RCC gift certificate.

Thanks!!!

Unfortunately, AOS (Voyager and Explorer, too) do not have solid glass balcony fronts. They are built into the hull of the ship, and are very cavelike and private.

The good news is that on decks 7-10, you will still be able to see through the glass that's on top of the steel wall. Deck 6 is a different story, as the steel wall comes up higher and is not topped with plexiglass.

Go ahead and book your cruise...you'll enjoy this ship, the itinerary, and your cabin very much!

Thanks for the reply DonnaK!

I just wanted to avoid disappointment on cruise day. So you think this ship is as good as CP or Golden Princess? I think AOS is older than CP but about the same age as Golden.

Are there any other perks to reserving a jr suite on RCC?

Hi Richjoxyz,

When you say aft, are you meaning the few cabins that face the back of the ship. I would love to have one of those, they are just hard to come by. I also saw pictures from a previous passenger that had cabin 1394 and I loved the shots of there balcony. It is on deck 10.

In your opinion, was the interior of the cabin still in good shape? What are your thoughts on the size of the bathroom compared to a regular balcony cabin that only has a shower? Did you find the bathroom in 9392 a comfortable size?

Also, I have not seen it mentioned whether or not the JS has a fridge. I really like that about Princess cabins. I do see it mentions that the cabins have a minibar but would not make any use of these over priced items.

I really appreciate your reply!!!

Here is a link to a website, brilliantly set up by Bonnie Voyager, that will give you an excellent idea what both the cabin and the balcony will be like.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi?

I have the corner aft balcony on deck eight reserved for our cruise next week! The upper decks dont have a problem with any obstructions in my opinion, and they are larger than the normal balconies.

Out of all of the Royal Caribbean ships, only the Adventure, the Explorer, and the Voyager have the in hull balconies. Why not look at one of the other 13 ships? :) There's no reason why you don't have to give up having a balcony that feels open and free.

Leslie

no perks for a JS other than an extra cruise credit if you join crown and anchor,....and priority boarding...we had it in SJ when we had a Jr Suite on AOS....

bathroom in nice..you have a tub/shower instead of just a shower......

i have some pix on webshots if you click the link in my sig......you can also look at my Explorer pix....we only had a balcony on Ex, BUT it was on deck 9, so the construction of the balcony is the same.

personally i have never been in a cabin with an obstructed/partially obstructed view.

as for WHY someone chooses AOS??? why not!!! it does a So Carib itinerary year round as opposed to Serenade that only does it in winter...and i think it goes to some different ports. that would be why WE chose it...

and why we chose Explorer for what will be a total of THREE cruises by the middle of Feb 2009.

I have sailed on the AOS 5x, with a 6th cruise on her booked for February. Except for one cruise in a GS, we always book a JS. My parents had 1312 and the view was just fine from their balcony. I spend a lot of time on the balcony, and although the bottom portion is metal, you can still see everything when seated (through the railing) it never ocurred to me that the view was obstructed.

Check out my albums on webshots www.webshots.com do a search under ckrobyn101 and you will find them :)

You do get priority boarding (if available) with a JS---and really, most of your "ocean viewing" is done standing at the rail! Even when you have the "plexiglass" railing, the salt air really mucks up the plexiglass, making seated viewing dubious, at best.

Once you are on a balcony, whether it's solid or clear, you will love it. It really doesn't make that much of a difference!

Thanks to all for your help!

Hi Richjoxyz - Great balcony shots! Thanks for sharing this link!

I appreciate all the commentary...like all travelers, you just want to be sucure in your decision!

Thanks again!!!!

Vicki

Thanks for the reply DonnaK!

I just wanted to avoid disappointment on cruise day. So you think this ship is as good as CP or Golden Princess? I think AOS is older than CP but about the same age as Golden.

Are there any other perks to reserving a jr suite on RCC?

I've only sailed on the CB (not the CP or Golden) and although we really liked that ship, we prefer RCI ships for their layouts, decor, and WOW factor. Still, I would say that the CB and AOS provide an equivalent cruising experience. I would have no hesitation sailing on a ship with the balcony built into the hull. It doesn't feel like a restricted view, or enclosed by any means. It's just not quite as nice as a full glass balcony. Don't make this a deal breaker for you - unless you're on deck 6, you will still have a great view of the sea, even from the chair, or while laying in bed.

Someone mentioned looking into another RCI ship that doesn't have the balcony built into the hull. Serenade does the same route as AOS, however it doesn't sail the Caribbean in May, which is when you wish to cruise.

I'm not a fan of aft balconies on Voyager class ships, even though many people love them. I think these have a much more obstructed view of the sea because of the crisscross of beams, and the angle of the rear of the ship - you have to look quite a way out, beyond the lower decks and the beams, to see the water.

• 2 months later...

I am deposited on both of these coveted cabins for a 2010 sailing.

The more I look at the posted pictures of the aft cabins, the more I am leaning toward keeping 1688 rather than 1394, in spite of the pole!

Am I correct in feeling that there would be a less obstructed view from 1688 because it is in the corner?

Thanks for feedback!

Linda

Archived