RCCL Jewel of the Seas or DCL for northern capitals cruise

Emma1

Traveling in 2010 with 11,13,14 1/2 yr olds. Our 1st cruise was with DCL for 4nt and DH loved so much we prebooked. He is very picky. Want to go to Northern capitals and felt DCL would be better with more kid friendly excursions. It seems the prices on both lines are similar. WE just felt very safe on DCL with kids. Would be 4 sea days - youngest will be happy to stay in club. Hoping there will be enough for two oldest - girls - to be busy, since there would not be anything like rock climbing or skating. I know DCL has the club for teens but we are not familar with. Never having gone on any other cruise before, asking for feedback. Thank you.

We went on the Jewel several years ago on the Baltic with our kids - younger than yours at the time and they had a good time on RCCL.

Like you, our first cruise was on Disney which we enjoyed a lot. We haven't been back on Disney since our first two cruises as we thought RCCL was the better value. I am surprised that the price is the same.

Our kids have never had a problem with sea days. Regardless of whether you take Jewel or Magic lots of kids will be on board during the summer. One pro for the Magic is that it has fresh water pools even though the amount of pool time might be limited on the Baltic. A pro for the Jewel is better activities for teens - climbing wall, better sports court, mini golf.

thank you. The exact prices of DCL don't come out until the 14th so we'll have to see how it comes out. BAsed on quotes to date, RCCL and DCL seem similar. Since my DH was happy with DCL ( and he is picky!!) if the price is relatively the same I may just stay with DCL - just to be safe!! SInce my kids haven't been on a different cruise they should be happy - even without the rock climbing, etc. If the price is way off, I may just decide to do a different DCL since we prebooked and would get a 10% discount.

What excursions did you go on that you/kids really liked? I have to say my heart is really set on the northern capitals cruise - I have always wanted to go. Did you go out of Dover? Did you do an extended trip before or after somewhere?

You said the prices were similiar? I wouldn't say that after watching the fallout on the Disney boards. When I priced out DCL and Jewel, there was a $4,000 difference for the same number of days/ports. :eek:

The title on the Dis Boards was "Is disney smoking CRACK???"

LOL ;)

I don't know about Disney's ships, but I do know that the Jewel of the Seas does have a covered pool area. Normally it is adults only, but on a cold weather itinerary like the Baltics, they should offer family swim time so your kids would be able to swim.

Also, unless something radically different has happened to Disney, you will most likely find that the price of Disney is much, much, much higher than RCCL for a comparable cabin.

thank you. The exact prices of DCL don't come out until the 14th so we'll have to see how it comes out. BAsed on quotes to date, RCCL and DCL seem similar. Since my DH was happy with DCL ( and he is picky!!) if the price is relatively the same I may just stay with DCL - just to be safe!! SInce my kids haven't been on a different cruise they should be happy - even without the rock climbing, etc. If the price is way off, I may just decide to do a different DCL since we prebooked and would get a 10% discount.

What excursions did you go on that you/kids really liked? I have to say my heart is really set on the northern capitals cruise - I have always wanted to go. Did you go out of Dover? Did you do an extended trip before or after somewhere?

We took our 14 and 10 year olds on Baltic cruise August 2008. We did all ports, except St. Petersburg, on our own with help from this message board. Kids favorite excursions included bicycle riding on tree-covered bike bath near the beach in Warnemunde, Seurassari Open Air Museum in Helsinki, Tivoli Gardens (of course!!!!) in Copenhagen, Anne Frank House and canal boat trip in Amsterdam, self-guided walking tour of walled city of Tallin and climbing to the top of the tower of the old church there. In St. Petersburg, kids favorite places/activities were the 2 palaces (Peterhof and Catherine's palace), the boat ride, and the metro.

Also, unless something radically different has happened to Disney, you will most likely find that the price of Disney is much, much, much higher than RCCL for a comparable cabin.

It still is. Especially with the new Baltic cruises. They may have just priced themselves right out of the market.

Archived