AirTran Red Eye to Florida for Cruise

SelectSys

Well, due to serveral factors on the home front our Holiday Cruise for this year has been up in the air. We were finally able to clear things up and can make our scheduled cruise leaving December 19th out of the port of Miami.

The earliest I can leave San Diego is on the 18th due to school schedules. This partially breaks my rule of flying in a day ahead but this is what I can pull off.

My best flight alternatives are:

1) LAX red eye to MIA on AA and return on the 29th for $3100.00 - or -

2) SAN-ATL-FLL/MIA red eye on FL (AirTran) and a return on the 29th out of FLL for $1980.00

My natural instinct would be to go with AirTran as the better ValuJet. The reasons are:

1) The $1100.00 savings on airfare

2) No drive to LAX (1-2 hour savings for me depending on traffic)

3) Arrival into ATL at 5:30AM provides many alternatives for getting to MIA for a 5:00PM sailing

4) Relatively high ranking of FL on service including baggage handling

5) All connections in FL's biggest (only?) hub.

However, I don't have any experience with FL as this would be our first flight with them. As such, my questions are:

1) Does my rationale make sense or would you take the AA flight?

2) Assuming FL, would you fly to FLL or MIA on the outbound. MIA is obviously closer, but the service to FLL is more frequent on FL and would provide an additional backup. Connection time in ATL is 3 hours which seems plenty for either flight.

3) Anything that I am missing?

Thanks in advance to any that respond!

I'm not sure where you are getting your flight into but my best suggestion is try alternative airports such as Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Palm Beach

I came up with $456 R/T with Delta to Fort Lauderdale and from Wayne/Orange County (renting a car one way before and after your cruise would be much less than the $2000 total you have.)

If you really want Miami airport, I found $665 with Delta from San Diego

I did not look up Southwest or JetBlue (both are growing fast at FLL) but I would try flying into FLL or PBI and see if the rates are any better and look at rental car prices one way before and after your cruise.

Do you have to fly from San Diego? Can you use another airport nearby?

How many tickets are included in this total?

Sorry, four tickets are required for this trip which is what I priced on both AA and AirTran. I also can't leave Southern California before about 6:30 PM on the 18th due to school constraints.

Your info is a bit out of date. There hasn't been a Value Jet for ten years or more. Not sure what you're thinking.

On the other hand, AirTran is ranked number one in the quality service ratings released Apr 08. The youngest all Boeing fleet in the US.

The youngest all Boeing fleet in the US.

Isn't that a fairly pointless statistic?

Is all Boeing better than a younger mixed manufacturer fleet?

Which quality service rating did AirTran top? They're a low cost carrier :confused:

Your info is a bit out of date. There hasn't been a Value Jet for ten years or more. Not sure what you're thinking.

On the other hand, AirTran is ranked number one in the quality service ratings released Apr 08. The youngest all Boeing fleet in the US.

You are correct regarding AirTran and its fleet. My reference a poor attempt at a joke based on my ticket quote being what I perceive to be a good value for my trip and the merger between AirTran and ValuJet. My understanding that ValuJet was nominally the surviving entity. Perhaps it was in poor taste given the ValuJet crash in the Everglades. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Just google "airline quality service rankings". The University of Nebraska issues the rankings annually based on information from DOT and FAA. Not opinions of a particular magazine, business group, etc.

Yep. Limiting to one manugacturer and only two aircraft types cuts maintenance, parts inventory cost and training expenses, allowing better prices. If you check the rankings, you'll find that it's the low cost carriers that have dominated the top levels in recent years.

AirTran's avg aircraft age is 3.75 yrs old; not twenty something yr old DC9s.

I read something this week that said AirTran was planning to stop service to and from San Diego sometime in November. I would check before booking with AirTran to make sure that they will still be operating out of San Diego in December. Okay I just looked and it's not supposed to stop until January so you should be okay.

... I would check before booking with AirTran to make sure that they will still be operating out of San Diego in December. Okay I just looked and it's not supposed to stop until January so you should be okay.

I did when I called earlier today and could get a flight to MIA from SAN on the 19th of December but not a return on the 29th from their web site. The agent confirmed the end of service being the 5th of January the last date of service at SAN. My booking issue was the need to create a "legal" connection which was possible out of FLL but not out of MIA.

Well, due to serveral factors on the home front our Holiday Cruise for this year has been up in the air. We were finally able to clear things up and can make our scheduled cruise leaving December 19th out of the port of Miami.

The earliest I can leave San Diego is on the 18th due to school schedules. This partially breaks my rule of flying in a day ahead but this is what I can pull off.

My best flight alternatives are:

1) LAX red eye to MIA on AA and return on the 29th for $3100.00 - or -

2) SAN-ATL-FLL/MIA red eye on FL (AirTran) and a return on the 29th out of FLL for $1980.00

My natural instinct would be to go with AirTran as the better ValuJet. The reasons are:

1) The $1100.00 savings on airfare

2) No drive to LAX (1-2 hour savings for me depending on traffic)

3) Arrival into ATL at 5:30AM provides many alternatives for getting to MIA for a 5:00PM sailing

4) Relatively high ranking of FL on service including baggage handling

5) All connections in FL's biggest (only?) hub.

However, I don't have any experience with FL as this would be our first flight with them. As such, my questions are:

1) Does my rationale make sense or would you take the AA flight?

2) Assuming FL, would you fly to FLL or MIA on the outbound. MIA is obviously closer, but the service to FLL is more frequent on FL and would provide an additional backup. Connection time in ATL is 3 hours which seems plenty for either flight.

3) Anything that I am missing?

Thanks in advance to any that respond!

I prefer AirTran to AA, so I would go with AirTran and save $1,100.00.

The last time I flew AA it was business class from South America and I have never been back on AA since then. I fly AirTran at least 4 times per year but it is one specific non-stop flight on the East Coast. Btw, I think your rational makes sense as you have some time to get to FL if that connecting flight was canceled for some unforseen reason.

I am not surprised. Some of the major airline employees should try flying them. They can learn a lesson.

Especially those working for AA.

That's funny because I've found AA to be one of the better airlines to fly within the US, sure you have a few bad apples but when you come across hundreds of employees on your travels (from check-in agents, to Admirals Club/Flagship Lounge folks, GAs etc) that is expected. From a modest 22 flights on AA this year I've had only very minor issues, and some downright excellent staff at LAX, JFK, DFW, ORD and ANC.

This weekend I was in Florida for a wedding and most of the group flew AirTran via ATL and nobody had a particularly good word to say about them. The consensus was they preferred going on Delta as on previous trips. I've never flown AirTran so can't make a judgement, but I've never heard good things said about AirTran that I've heard mentioned about say Jetblue or even Southwest. (Not flown either of them!)

This weekend I was in Florida for a wedding and most of the group flew AirTran via ATL and nobody had a particularly good word to say about them.

I have read other threads with people calling AirTran, Airtrash, which surprises me. I have never had a problem with them but many with other airlines.

I think it is just luck of the draw. There will always be problems on airlines, you just never know if it will be you. The main thing is how the airlines handle those problems. If they have good customer service, you will feel happy that they helped you over those problems.

That's funny because I've found AA to be one of the better airlines to fly within the US, sure you have a few bad apples but when you come across hundreds of employees on your travels (from check-in agents, to Admirals Club/Flagship Lounge folks, GAs etc) that is expected. From a modest 22 flights on AA this year I've had only very minor issues, and some downright excellent staff at LAX, JFK, DFW, ORD and ANC.

This weekend I was in Florida for a wedding and most of the group flew AirTran via ATL and nobody had a particularly good word to say about them. The consensus was they preferred going on Delta as on previous trips. I've never flown AirTran so can't make a judgement, but I've never heard good things said about AirTran that I've heard mentioned about say Jetblue or even Southwest. (Not flown either of them!)

Well, since we were ranked first in customer service in 08' obviously most people had something good to say. We offer a better product compared to BlueJet or Southwest. Just like people on these boards stick to their cruise line others will do the same with airlines. To the OP if you can save that much money booking Airtan, do it. You will get great service. Far better then anything you will ever get on the mighty AA.

Well, since we were ranked first in customer service in 08' obviously most people had something good to say. We offer a better product compared to BlueJet or Southwest. Just like people on these boards stick to their cruise line others will do the same with airlines. To the OP if you can save that much money booking Airtan, do it. You will get great service. Far better then anything you will ever get on the mighty AA.

The nonstops out of LAX to MIA/JFK on AA provide EXCELLENT service. Those are Flagships flights, with the BEST FA, food and service on those flights.

I have never flown AirTran, so have no opinion.

The only problem I see with the AirTran flights: IF you have a misconnect in ATL, you have no other flights into MIA that will get you to a cruise. Lots of AirTran flights into FLL, few into MIA.

And since AirTran (like Jet Blue and SW) has no agreements with other airlines, you would have to purchase another ticket to get out of ATL IF you had a misconnect and could not get on a later AirTran flight that allows enough time for the transfer from FLL to MIA.

I am all for saving money, especially $1100. And of course, I am a very loyal AA flier. But you know enough about the airline industry to get the help you need and have a backup plan "just in case" to comfortably save $1100 even if there are glitches. Go for the AirTran flights.

Just curious-why does someone from SoCal go to Florida for Xmas???? Born and raised Angeleno-Florida would have been the last place I would have ever thought of to go for Xmas. Don't we all want to go where there is SNOW????

That's funny because I've found AA to be one of the better airlines to fly within the US, sure you have a few bad apples but when you come across hundreds of employees on your travels!

I agree, in general I have found the staff on AA to be pretty good. The only flights where I have found consistently bad service on AA is from LAX-HNL flights that leave in the morning and return from HNL in the afternoon. The staff - at least in coach - working these flights should retire.

... You will get great service. Far better then anything you will ever get on the mighty AA.

I booked the AirTran seats. I still have a lot of respect for AA as they never gone Chapter 11, terminated their employees pension plan, and lived beyond their means like some other carriers. They would be a much stronger carrier today if they hadn't been forced to compete repeatedly with companies that got their balance sheets and liabilities cleaned in Chapter 11.

The nonstops out of LAX to MIA/JFK on AA provide EXCELLENT service. Those are Flagships flights, with the BEST FA, food and service on those flights.

Not too much of this service trickles down to coach these days.

The only problem I see with the AirTran flights: IF you have a misconnect in ATL, you have no other flights into MIA that will get you to a cruise. Lots of AirTran flights into FLL, few into MIA.

Yes, FLL has more backups on AirTran. Google says it is 35 minutes from FLL to the port. As you suggest, if AirTran looks really bad - which seems unlikely in their main hub in terms of getting another aircraft - I'll buy new tickets on another carrier.

I am all for saving money, especially $1100. And of course, I am a very loyal AA flier. But you know enough about the airline industry to get the help you need and have a backup plan "just in case" to comfortably save $1100 even if there are glitches. Go for the AirTran flights.

I have also been a loyal AA flier. I have just found more and more cases where it is difficult for me to maintain the loyalty. This will be the second LCC that I have flown on for the first time this year.

Just curious-why does someone from SoCal go to Florida for Xmas???? ... Don't we all want to go where there is SNOW????

To go on a cruise for an extremely low key holiday! I guess I am out of synch this year as my son came with me to Chile this summer and we ended up going skiing for a few days at Valle Nevado.

I booked the AirTran seats. I still have a lot of respect for AA as they never gone Chapter 11, terminated their employees pension plan, and lived beyond their means like some other carriers. They would be a much stronger carrier today if they hadn't been forced to compete repeatedly with companies that got their balance sheets and liabilities cleaned in Chapter 11.

Ain't that the truth!!!!

Yes, FLL has more backups on AirTran. Google says it is 35 minutes from FLL to the port. Aayou suggest, if AirTran looks really bad - which seems unlikely in their main hub in terms of getting another aircraft - I'll buy new tickets on another carrier.

Allow AT LEAST an hour. Traffic can be horrendous in that corridor.

To go on a cruise for an extremely low key holiday! I guess I am out of synch this year as my son came wi

th me to Chile this summer and we ended up going skiing for a few days at Valle Nevado.

Good answer. Out of synch you are. I just arrived SCL a couple hours ago. I think they are still skiing. It is cold enough here to snow. The hotel driver said it was only 35 degrees. I sure hope I can go to sleep soon.

Allow AT LEAST an hour. Traffic can be horrendous in that corridor.

Good answer. Out of synch you are. I just arrived SCL a couple hours ago. I think they are still skiing. It is cold enough here to snow. The hotel driver said it was only 35 degrees. I sure hope I can go to sleep soon.

We should have plenty of time to get from FLL to the port. I don't think this will be too big a deal, but thanks for the trip. Plenty of time on the return as well.

The day we landed at SCL in the morning it reminded me of landing at SMF in the winter - heavy valley fog and surprisingly cold. I looked on the net and it seems like you should be getting nice weather. Have a good trip!

I love non-stops, but in your case, I'd have probably gone with AirTran, too. On our end, it was AA (or actually a shuttle) that had by far the cheapest flights and was non-stop.

Hope to see you on the Jewel! :)

I haven't registered for the "meet and mingle" reception but plan on doing so. See you there.

Archived