Aurora Borealis

pinebro

While you can go on a guided Aurora Tour, all you have to do is come North, rent a car and go for a drive to an area with no lights (out of the city). You'll find LOTS of information and hundreds of photos at http://www.explorenorth.com/aurora.html

Fairbanks, Whitehorse and Yellowknife are common starting points because of the commonly-clear skies in the winter as well as good auroral activity levels. The level of activity can be predicted, but only 3-4 days in advance, not enough to plan a trip around. Luckily, I can just look out the window to see the activity :)

Murray

Thanks Murray !!

Do You Mean Aurora Does/does Not Happen Every Day?

Or The Extent Changes Each Day, Depending On Solar Activity ?

Looking At A Long Weekend In Fairbanks To See This. Am I Looking At A Crap Shoot, Or Pretty Good Odds?

Thanks Again !!

Ps. We Were In Carcross In July. Got A Beautiful Picture Across Old Train Bridge Toward Lake.

Took 16 Rolls Of Pictures In 12 Days, Could Have Taken Dozens More !!

I have spent 2 weeks in Fairbanks the last 2 March's. AND no the aurora is NOT viewable every day- just having a full moon can reduce visability and cloud cover- forget any views. :) Allowing at least 2 weeks will get some views- don't consider much shorter if this is a priority. Key is lodging in an excellent location and research this fully. It is a pain to have to get up in the middle of the night and drive out of the distractions of lights. :) (although I have done it). My favorite lodging closed- Cleary Summit- I wish he would allow me to stay there anyway. :)

• 2 months later...

Archived